“Never a four star!!”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Antigua
liverpool
“Never a four star!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel right on the beach which is great, lots of choice in the food dept but sadly only ever warm. Rooms very spacious however the beds and pillows are awful very
uncomfortable. This hotel is more a 3 star rating. Staff pleasant especially the young lady who works early evening in the casino bar. Sorry I wouldn't return I like comfort and this hotel doesn't supply this.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank therankster
ELBACARLOTA, Gerente at Hotel Elba Carlota, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
dear sir / madam,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel.
I wish you would be a little more specific with your comments about why we are "never a four star", so that I could give you the right explanations.
I can say that we are all here to help and to make your holiday unforgettable, so we could have helped you out with the bed and the pillows if you would only have informed us.
With kind regards,

Director.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hi, We have just returned from an all inclusive week at Elba Carlotta. We had a brilliant time. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. Our room overlooked the pools and had a view of the beach as well. The room was excellent. It was clean and well presented with spacious bathroom and wardrobe/ drawer space and a huge great big king sized bed and a balcony. The restaurant, pool bar and lobby bar were well staffed and clean and tidy. Bar staff and restaurant staff were helpful and friendly without being over bearing. The buffet meals were amazing with different themed food nights (eg Mexican, Chinese) with a wide range of freshly prepared salads, meat ad veg dishes, cheeses, bread, fruit and a variety of puddings. . The grounds of the hotel were immaculate and relaxing to be in with facilities for volleyball, tennis, football, outdoor workouts, boules and general relaxing and chill out areas all separate from the 3 pools. The beach was out the back gate of the hotel grounds. The beaches were clean with sunbeds and parasols to hire although the sand is that soft and lovely there is little need for them (it can be quite windy on the beach). The coast has been separated into small mad made lagoons which are fantastic for children to play safely in as well as being a home for a huge range of fish and sea life - get a snorkel! All in all a fabulous holiday and a hotel and island that we will definitely recommend to family and friends and hopefully return one day.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool are lovely especially rooms to the left of the lobby (if you were standing in...
4 Thank lizzie_s_12345
dear miss Lizzie,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your holiday experiences.
Our main goal is to satisfy our customers, and reading your comments I think it is safe to say we have succeeded!
Please take a look on our website to aply for a fidelity card, which will give you lots of discounts and benefits for your next stay(s).
I hope to see you again very soon!

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here last week with my family. The hotel was very nice and clean. All the staff were very friendly and the reception staff were very helpful. The entertainment for the children was very good and went on all day, as well as the adults entertainment, there were different activities every day. The pool was cleaned every day as well as our rooms. The food was very nice, with a different selection each day and there was even a children's buffet. The hotel is right on the beach which has lovely golden sand and clear blue sea, which is safe for swimming and has a lifeguard there. We asked for extra pillows and they were in the room before we got back.

Although the hotel was very nice we did have some issues. The entertainment room of a night was very small for the size of the hotel. We hired a car for the day and ordered a picnic, which was in with the all inclusive package. The picnic was very poor with a ham and cheese sandwich that wasn't buttered, a bottle of water, a small pack of biscuits and fruit that had gone bad. The picnic could've of done with some of the cake and use French stick instead of bread. On the way home our flight wasn't until 18:30, and had to be out the room for 12:00, so as we are a family of 5 we needed a courtesy room. We didn't find out until the day before we were due to come home that we had to book a room. There was only one courtesy room for the whole hotel with half hour allocated slots, it was fully booked and therefore we didn't get a room. They also cut the all inclusive wristband off you when we hand in your room key. I thought this was bad as we didn't arrive at the hotel until 20:00 and going home our flight wasn't until 18:30, and we had paid all inclusive for the 7 days. On the website they advertise that they have a spa. We booked this thinking there was a spa in the hotel, only to find out that the spa was in the hotel next to us, and had to pay 20 euros to get in. The A la carte restaurant was shut which was disappointing.

However we did have a lovely holiday and we are looking to return here next year. I would defiantly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank LaurenL_724
dear miss lauren,

Thank you very mcuh for the comments you have written about our hotel.
I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your holidsay here, and even more happpy to see you write that you are looking to return next year.
We are in the lucky position to be fully booked almost all the time, so that is why booking a curtesy room can be a little hectic some days.
The all inclusive does finish at 12.00, but because you arrived in the evening, as a curtesy of the hotel, we give you the lunch on the day that you leave.
We do not have a spa in the hotel, but being a guest of Elba you get a discount in the next door spa, you do not pay the full €20.00.
I am looking forward seeing you next year.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and i recently have returned from a week at this hotel. We have been several times before and we have found all staff very helpful and pleasant, rooms are always very clean with everything we need in them. Right by the beach and has umbellas & sunbeds which are only 5 euros a day which is brilliant. Food is outstanding with something for everyone, my wife is a fussy eater and always found something to eat and drink. The enteraintment this year has improved massively and we thoroughly enjoy watching it. Being 15-20mins away from the airport does produce some noise but not distirbing. Shops and village harbour only a short walk or you can get the bus which is free from the hotel. I would personally like to thank Nyncke Zeilstra for helping us out with everything which made my stay more comfortable. All in all a wonderful hotel and would recommend to anyone.

3 Thank John H
dear mister John,

Thank you very much for the kind words you have written about our hotel.
It is always a great pleasure and very satisfying to read such a positive review of satisfied guests.
It makes me extra proud to read that you have been here several times before!
If there is anything else we can do for you to make your next stay with us even more enjoyable, please let us know!
We cant wait to see you again!

birmingham
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week at this hotel for the first visit there. The location was fantastic, right on a lovely beach where you could walk either way for miles, there was several shopping centres near by and there was a casino attached to the hotel where we had lots of fun. It was only10 minutes in a taxi from the airport and we saw people arriving a hour after we had arrived who had used the transfer coaches so I would highly recommend use a taxi. The food was really good although I must say a lot of the food was always just warm. I did notice there was a microwave oven on one of the stations and a lot of people where using it to warm their food up. (not very 4 star) Such a shame as the food was very good quality and tasty. Breakfast was always very hectic, they ran out of eggs most mornings and people where queing for ages and they always ran out of tea cups. Most mornings we would have to walk around the restaurant looking for tea cups. One morning they had ran out of milk so there was no milk for cereals. When we arrived and checked in we was told we had a sea view room what we had asked for. When we got to our room (219) I looked out of the balcony which was not a sea view and we were looking over a 30' bright blue skip. What made it worse is there was a heavily soiled mattress balancing on the top of it. We didn't want to make a big fuss but I suggested that we should ask if there was any other rooms available but we did understand that everyone can't get the room they wanted. We asked at reception if there was any other rooms and they said come back tomorrow morning a 9am and ask. This was 3pm in the afternoon at the time. We decided not to unpack and wait until the next morning. The next morning at 9am, we asked if there was another room available and we was told no there isn't I'm afraid. Again we didn't make a big fuss and went back to our room to finally unpack. When I opened the drawer at the at the side of the bed where I had slept that night, the drawer was completely full of rubbish. This included dirty tissues, half eaten snacks, tablets, pils, empty deodorant cans, creams, dirty iphone ear phones and some other disgusting items. I immediately called the cleaner in who was on our floor and she was very apologetic and cleaned the drawer out and told me that the couple that was in the room before us were disgusting and filthy.(that made me feel much better..not). I took a picture of the drawer and took it to reception where they were all amazed by the picture and amazingly suddenly found another room for us to move to but wouldn't be available until after 2pm. We then moved to room 121 which was a nice room so we had been in the hotel over 24 hours and finally got to unpack. The staff were always friendly in this hotel and the animation team worked extremely hard to make sure everyone had a good time. The beach bar was always very busy they could of done with an extra pair of hands behind the bar, there was one lady always rushed off her feet and stressed out. We found that the pool area could have been a lot cleaner, there was always bottle tops on the floor, paper cups blowing around and cigarette buts on the floor. I know this isn't the hotels doing but they should have a cleaner that does the rounds regularly. The public toilets near the restaurant and the reception were always a little messy too. I'm sorry but I won't be returning here, we have stayed in much better 3 star hotels. Again I think it's such a shame as this could be an excellent hotel if they got it right.

2 Thank LovelyBirmingham
dear madam,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about yout holiday experiences.
I am happy to see that overall you have enjoyed your time here with us.
I am sorry to see there were some issues whilst here, and I am happy for you to have commented them, so I can investigate and solve matters.
I hope you will give us a chance to show you the improvements when you concider to visit us again.
Thank you.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Lovely hotel. Rooms were spacious, clean with plenty of wardrobe space. Absolutely no need to reserve sunbeds. Food great for meat eaters, and improved during the week for me (veggie). I would have been happy just to eat puddings as these were fantastic.
Close to the airport, but this wasn't a problem as there weren't many flights and none at night.
Staff were all very friendly and very patient with me trying to speak Spanish.
Beach is lovely where you can hire pedalos for 10 euros an hour.
Only problem is the other guests, who seemed to have little concept of food hygiene at the buffet!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RachaelM2312
dear Miss Rachael,

Thank you very much for writing a review about hotel Elba Carlota.
Our main goal is to satisfy our clientes, and make them want to come back,
so I am very happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Now I am hoping for you to come back!

Wetherby
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week at Hotel Elba Carlota. What I expected from a 4 star to be honest. A few things to mention - do not bother taking the bus transfer from the airport to the hotel - we booked through 'On the Beach.co.uk' it took an hour and a half as Carlota is the last hotel drop off. take a taxi - it won't cost more than 13 euros and will take you 10 mins maximum. We took an early flight from LBD and as such arrived at our hotel just after 2 with the transfer to be told we could not check in until 3! Not ideal given how long we had been travelling..to be fair we had some lunch and our room was ready before 3 which was good. A bit hit and miss with the 'welcome' drinks being given out too. Safe cost 21 euros for the week and worth getting. Towels are an extra cost - we used our own. Food was better than expected and we enjoyed it mostly...outdoor dining area could be larger as inside the restaurant felt like a canteen with really bright lighting. Pools were warm and spacious - never had a problem getting sunbeds and an umbrella. Animation team were hard workers and lots of fun. Rooms were adequate if not a little small. Staff overall were very pleasant and hard working. They looked overworked and stressed at times dealing with the volume of people to serve and keep happy. Loved the fact the beach was so close..2 mins away...really lovely and clean. Sun beds are chargeable by the day - 7 euros per bed per day. Our little girl was safe swimming in the sea and enjoyed feeding the fish with bread each day! They swim in their hundreds around your feet! Bar on the boardwalk is separate to the hotel but just wonderful views and sunsets and I can highly recommend the piña coladas - all at reasonable prices. We didn't venture far really and enjoyed relaxing and the sunshine which was there every day! All in all good value for money.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Paula K
ELBACARLOTA, Gerente at Hotel Elba Carlota, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
dear miss Paula,

Thank you for writing a review about your experiences in our hotel.
I am happy to see that overall you have enjoyed your stay here with us.
I can tell you that the extra cost of the towels are just a deposit, you get it back in the end.
I wish you would have explained the "hita nd miss" with thewelcome drinks, as this is one of our curtesies of the hotel, to make our guests feel welcome, as a good start of their holidays.
After all you say it was a good value for money, and you mention many positive facts about our hotel, so I hope to see you again!

Jose rodríguez.
Director.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antigua
Hotel Elba Sara
Barcelo Corralejo Bay
Barcelo Corralejo Bay
#6 of 46 in Corralejo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,433 reviews

Been to Hotel Elba Carlota? Share your experiences!