We just returned from two weeks at the Marnic Apartments booked through Monarch Holidays. We booked mainly due to the previous positive reviews regarding the hospitality offered by the owners and the facilities within the apartments which looked perfect for a self-catering holiday for a family of four.
On a positive note, the apartments are in a beautiful spot and have a lovely pool area which was never too crowded despite it being peak season as most people seem to go to the beach. They are newly refurbished to a high standard and very clean.
We were very disappointed, however, as we booked a 1 bedroom apartment which seemed to be squeezed into the same space as the studio apartments. This meant that the spacious kitchen and eating area depicted on the website was not provided, we only had two rings and a small microwave, and not enough room for 4 of us to sit around a table inside the living room as we were unable to retract the sofabed which our daughters slept on which dominated the living area. It made self-catering practically impossible and meant we had to eat out the whole time. The studio apartments have a full cooker, oven, fridge freezer, lots of work space and eating space which seems crazy as the one bedroom apartments sleep more people who therefore require more space. I can also confirm that the BBQ that is supposed to be available does not exist.
Secondly, I was expecting a warm welcome from the family that own the apartments based on previous reviews so was very disappointed as this was not our experience at all. We never met the English-speaking host mentioned in previous reviews and the only English speaker around was a teenage girl who made it her job to tell us off for any perceived misdemeanour at any opportunity - not very welcoming at all! I totally understand that this isn't accommodation particularly aimed at British guests which is a plus in my opinion, but a smile doesn't require translation and these were in short supply too.
The area is gorgeous but I must stress that you need a car to get to restaurants and a decent supermarket. There is a good and cheap restaurant on the main road above the apartments (Zupcica) but for variety it is lovely to eat out in Mlini, Plat or Cavtat where there are wonderful restaurants with lovely views. You could walk to Mlini or Plat at a push but not with children at night. For a decent supermarket you need to drive to Srebreno (Konzum) or on the road towards Cavtat (Tommy).
I think these apartments are more suited to couples or a family with one young child where the studio apartments would be perfect for a peaceful self-catering holiday. Also don't expect consistent WiFi or English TV channels, this wasn't an issue for me as I wanted a break from reality but the WiFi hardly ever worked and there was only Sky News amongst the hundreds of TV channels available (many of which were pay-per-view porn channels so keep your children away!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amazing Accommodations, in the Dubrovnik Region! With all modern conveniences at a fraction of the cost. Close to the historic and famous Old Town of Dubrovnik and the quaint little town of Cavtat. We have a large variety of accommodations to fit your needs, we have it all, rooms, studios, apartments, bungalow, A/C, Satellite T.V. Great views of the Adriatic Sea, crystal clear pool and lots of parking. Come and visit us soon! Minutes away from the Cilipi Airport... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marnic Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marnic Apartments Hotel Mlini
- Marnic Apartments Mlini, Croatia