“Nice hotel for a night or two”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Fredrikstad
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Nice old fashioned hotel with great location in Fredrikstad. Good point - employees extremely nice, bad point - our extra bed for our daugther collapsed completely when an adult sat down on it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2010

This hotel provided us with a good sleep, good breakfast, friendly service, easy access to the ferry to the old town and it was a walking distance away from the railway station.

Yes, it has not been renovated lately and has the atmosphere of 80's hovering around. As it nevertheless appeared as clean and well maintained to us, we didn't mind. Also the two rooms we got were spacious.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank the_chap_from_x
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The hotel is said to have been the local "Fautly Towers" a couple of years ago, but the new owners have refurbished and improved routines, and it is now a nice, simple smalltown hotel. I came in late from a party, and was afraid that the big, red flowers in the corridor tapestries should be repeated in my room, but they were not. The room was surprisingly nice, with a tv and a desk, and very clean. Hotel rooms in Norway are normally not equipped for tea-making, as they are in Britain. Neither was my room.

The bathroom was huge and newly furbished, with a shower with high water pressure and with an ample supply of hot water. There was only one, rather small towel, however.

Another guest mentioned flat pillows, and that is true. A thicker pillow, ore better; two pillows, would have been nice, but otherwise my bed was very comfortable.

If you stay the night to sunday, you'll be awaken by the powerful and intense ringing from the bells in the church across the street. Otherwise, the area is very quiet..

In the recepetion, they give you the code to the free, wireless internet. I didn't try it.

The breakfast was simple, but OK.

All in all, I recommend the hotel, that seems to cost about 60-70% of the other bareable hotels in Fredrikstad.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Brainspin
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I stayed here as I was flying out with Ryanair the next morning.
All hotels are expensive in Norway.
This hotel was a good value choice.
This is a good loccation for an overnight stay as it is a lovely town with a great relaxed atmosphere and a lot of history.
Bus from centre of town to airport costs 80 Kroner. ( 30 mins)
Taxi 500 Kroner( 20 mins)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Chefdegolf
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I would highly recommend anyone visiting Fredrikstad to stay at the Victoria Hotel. I had the pleasure to stay at the hotel while visiting Fredrikstad during a 2 week tour of Norway and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. All the staff I spoke with were exceptionally nice, friendly, very helpful, and always made me feel welcome and at home.

I stayed in a single room and I found it exceptionally well kept and clean. I can also easily say, now that my trip is finished, it was one of the best hotel rooms I stayed in during my travels.

The next time I'm in Fredrikstad I will happily stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank db_toronto
Reviewed 16 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Victoria in May 2008 while on a driving tour in Norway. We did not book beforehand, but we were made to feel welcome and charged the tourist, not business rate, which saved us 300K. The hotel has been taken over by a new owner since the last review, and we found the reception area, breakfast room and our bedroom to be very tastefully decorated and newly furnished. Our room had brand new carpet and curtains, the bathroom seemed to be newly tiled and the shower was very good, although it was a wet room with no storage space which makes keeping your toiletries dry a bit of a trial! The bed was comfortable and there were extra towels and pillows if you needed them. The hotel was in a quiet street but quite central for the old and new towns. The hotel had Wi-fi access but this had to be paid for. Breakfast was served from 7 - 10 and there was lots to choose from, the usual cold cuts and cheeses; also soft and hard-boiled and scrambled eggs and sausages. The bread was fresh, and there were also prawns and pickled herrings and salads, as well as fresh fruit. As we left, the receptionist wished us a good trip and said that we would be welcomed back, and I would certainly go out of my way to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Valleygirl
Reviewed 27 August 2007

Myself and ymy sister recently stayed in this hotel for two nights. We arrived quite late to the hotel, 11pm but there was no problem at all with checking in. The receptionist was friendly and our initial impression at night was that it was a small, cosy and well maintained hotel.
On entering our room we quickly changed our minds. The room was extremely dated, very basic and dusty. The bathroom was standard but there wasn't enough towels for two people or little extras that you’d come to expect. There was no tea/coffee making facilities and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. The carpets looked like they hadn’t been hoovered in months and we made sure to keep our socks on!

We had a room with a balcony which overlooked the park which was very pleasant only for the dangerous middle railing which had rusted away and was hanging loose from the main structure of the balcon. There was an ironing room which I can only describe as a complete hovel. Dirty, cluttered and simply not good enough for guests.

We attended a concert on the second night and on returning later that night we had to discover for ourselves that the lift was broken. There was no sign to tell us (the receptionist certainly didn’t!) so we had to clamber up the stairs in complete darkness cos there wasn’t a light switch to be seen. On checking-out the lift was still stuck between floors and we had to drag our suitcases down a tight, winding stairs which was very dangerous and unacceptable.
Breakfast was this hotels saving grace. There was a good selection of juices, breads, meats, cheese and eggs. The hotel is in a good location only a couple of minutes to the train station and Fredrikstad stadium. The staff were pleasant enough, however, there could have been more effort put in to tourist information such as leaflets and maps etc..

I will never return to this hotel again I’m afraid.

• Stayed: August 2007