“Good value for money in d-town”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Fredrikstad
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Great location by the channel in Fredrikstad downtown.

Hotel offers no or very limited selection of food products, barely any snacks or eatable goodies.

Thats perhaps the worst part of the hotel but the other thins great value for money.

Reception personell, reservation and service level is really good.

Rooms are better than decent, media fine and rather quiet rooms. I have stayed here twice.

Breakfast is really good also, although it is not that 'international'

Best is the quality/price ratio.

Great stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Hotel Victoria in Fredrikstad Norway is a nice, cosey little hotel with no big surprises really.

The decor is probably best described as yesteryears fashion, or the style is just not the modern style you see in many hotels today.
If you are after that ol' school hotel feeling, you'll get it here, especially in the lobby, dining room and bar areas. I think it’s a deliberate choice to keep this style.

When I made my way to my room at the second floor, the hallways send my thoughts to an old American B-western. Charming in its own way.

The room (one bed) was quite small without being cramped. Bathroom was OK, even if I did get water all over the floor when I showered.
You have a few TV channels, enough to get by for a few days, but if you have a tablet or laptop, you can use any streaming service you may subscribe to via the free WiFi. Either way, I assume you are not here to watch TV?

Breakfast is always a deal breaker for me, but while ordinary, the breakfast at Victoria was quite OK actually. No bacon though. 
I didn’t have lunch or dinner here, but they claim to have a well renowned kitchen (website info).

It’s a nice little hotel, you probably get what you came for (a place to sleep) without being swiped off your feet in amazement.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view to the back of the hotel, which meant looking straight into a wall. You may...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2013

What to expect:

Small rooms which are a little worn down. We had two different rooms during our stay, and the standard was the same on both rooms. Funny (old) colors on the wall, and so so bathrooms. In both rooms there was a leak from the sink in the bathroom, and the shower head sprayed water everywhere. These are things that should be easy to fix, so I really don't understand why they don't.

The service is friendly. Especially the swede who work the night shift when we stayed at the hotel. He took really good care of us, and offered excellent service. Thanks!

If you are a bit claustrophobic do NOT use the elevator. Apparently they have had problems with it since it was installed (6 months ago). I got stuck between 3rd and 4th floor in the middle of the night. The manager told me that is was a bad thing that I opened the door manually and crawled out. I should have pressed the alarm, and waited for help. Note that he did not offer an apology.

I think all hotels should serve breakfast at least until 11:00. Sadly they do not. The food is removed at 10:00.

If you are visiting Fredrikstad, please note that it is not possible to get food at a restaurant after 22:00.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stayed at the hotell in beginning of June, toghether with 20 kolleagues from all over Norway. On arrival we had lunch in the restaurant, and unlike many other conference hotels, this 2 course meal was fantastic!

I was lucky to get a room with a balcony! The bed felt new and fresh and I had 2 nights with very good sleep. Breakfast buffet was quite small, but had all I needed to get the day going!

The staff is very friendly. The hotel owner was involved in serving meals and always present, assisting the staff if neede.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Nice old fashioned hotel with great location in Fredrikstad. Good point - employees extremely nice, bad point - our extra bed for our daugther collapsed completely when an adult sat down on it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This hotel provided us with a good sleep, good breakfast, friendly service, easy access to the ferry to the old town and it was a walking distance away from the railway station.

Yes, it has not been renovated lately and has the atmosphere of 80's hovering around. As it nevertheless appeared as clean and well maintained to us, we didn't mind. Also the two rooms we got were spacious.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank the_chap_from_x
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The hotel is said to have been the local "Fautly Towers" a couple of years ago, but the new owners have refurbished and improved routines, and it is now a nice, simple smalltown hotel. I came in late from a party, and was afraid that the big, red flowers in the corridor tapestries should be repeated in my room, but they were not. The room was surprisingly nice, with a tv and a desk, and very clean. Hotel rooms in Norway are normally not equipped for tea-making, as they are in Britain. Neither was my room.

The bathroom was huge and newly furbished, with a shower with high water pressure and with an ample supply of hot water. There was only one, rather small towel, however.

Another guest mentioned flat pillows, and that is true. A thicker pillow, ore better; two pillows, would have been nice, but otherwise my bed was very comfortable.

If you stay the night to sunday, you'll be awaken by the powerful and intense ringing from the bells in the church across the street. Otherwise, the area is very quiet..

In the recepetion, they give you the code to the free, wireless internet. I didn't try it.

The breakfast was simple, but OK.

All in all, I recommend the hotel, that seems to cost about 60-70% of the other bareable hotels in Fredrikstad.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo