This was our 5th hotel in 3 visits to The Gambia.
The description of Sandele as an eco retreat is completely accurate. The environment is beautiful and relaxing. The pace of life is appropriately slow.
The owners, Geri and Maurice, were welcoming, friendly and attentive. They always had time to talk and to offer suggestions about things to do. We greatly admired what they were doing there in conjunction with the local community.
Their staff were always pleasant and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them.They organised bird watching trips on 3 mornings, and arranged the transport for us.
We stayed in one of the lodges/suites. It was comfortable and spacious. It doesn't have the luxury of some of the touristy hotels, but it was what we wanted. We are not looking for luxury in The Gambia. The beach is beautiful, sandy, deserted, and the swimming is safe.
There is really good bird watching in the grounds and nearby. We recommend a trip out with Colin Croft at the local bird observatory.
Sandele is a place that we will return to.
Thank you Geri, Maurice and all the staff for a lovey week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandele is an award winning ecolodge located on a stunning deserted beach in Southern Gambia. We offer accommodation in luxury lodges, nestled in the bush a hundred metres from the beach. The Retreat is operated in conjunction with the local community of Kartong, who benefit from the development and running of the resort and who will assume complete responsibility in twenty-five years time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and Expedia so you can book your Sandele Eco-Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandele Eco-Retreat Hotel Kartong
- Sandele Eco-Retreat Gambia/Kartong