“Our First Visit”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed 16 October 2011

First of all, I would strongly recommend that The Couples web site (http://www.couplesresort.ca/) be thoroughly reviewed before anyone decides to book a stay at the resort. All charges are fully disclosed and the accommodations are properly described.

The Room:
My wife and I stayed at The Couples for the first time arriving on Oct. 11th and stayed for two nights...choosing a Master Junior Suite. We have never stayed in such a luxurious room before. Everything was clean and worked properly. 2 thumbs up! The room has a Keurig coffee maker and a supply of Keurig coffee, tea and hot chocolate cups (extra $).

During our stay, we asked at the front desk if we could see a Junior Suite (which is much less expensive). We were given a key to an unoccupied room and checked it out. The Jr. Suite is very nice and at 600 square feet is very big. I wouldn't hesitate in booking one if I could get the right room number ;-). Check out my room tips.

All accommodations are air conditioned and have an ample supply of wood.

All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and courteous.

The Dining Room:
Very classy and beautiful. Comfortable chairs. There are two walls with windows and if you would like a window table I would suggest you take the earliest seating, or about an hour and a half later. The breakfast was very good and well presented. The evening meal is also very good with lots of choices.

There is a recreation area below the dining room which consists of 2 rooms. The one room has a billiard table and the other has two billiard tables, shuffleboard table, dart boards, ping pong table and a fireplace area. In my opinion, the room is too small for what's in it. We couldn't have a shuffle board game due to a couple playing darts.

Algonquin Park: The 'Algonquin Visitor Centre' which is only a 20 minute drive from the resort' is a 'must see'. We spent at least 2hrs. inside with so much to see. Make sure you check the hours of operation as they change with the seasons.

Overview:
The Couples Resort is a beautiful and luxurious resort and I would not hesitate in considering a return visit. On the negative side, they charge extra for things that are included in the room rate in other comparable resorts.

We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If booking a Junior Suite, rooms 48, 49, 53 & 54 have an unobstructed view (from trees) of the l...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JMC002

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We just spent one night at this "resort " for couples and feel like we were robbed.The cost for their cheapest room was $600 and change. The location and the dinner and breakfast which came with the stay were excellent The beds were nice. After that it was downhill. Carpet from the 80's was so stretched that we tripped on the wrinkles. The bathroom flooring was old vinyl with huge water marks where water had leaked under it. The bathroom fixtures were old and rusted. The place smelled of mould, the old hallway carpets were dirty with sand and grass. The free bicycles and canoes were not available after 5:00pm despite the fact that checkin is 4:00pm Checkout was 11:00am and a sign on the pool said it would open at 2:00pm. When I mentioned to the manager that the rooms are very dated she said yes they are but if they were to redo them they would have to charge more - what $800?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank babyelephant00
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The view is nice, the master suites, have carpet that give off a smell of mold. Carpet should be replaced. Beds are very comfortable, wood fireplace cozy, hot tub hot needs a cover lifter. The wires in and around the tv's are sloppy. The food was the biggest disappointment. The dinner is really a four course meal, unless you call a tiny ball of Mellon with a sliver a prescutto a course. The chicken was not cooked enough, the steak is loaded with pepper, and the portion sizes are small. Over all I think I would go back only if the deal was right. Full price would be out of the question. They need a new menu, that lives upto their dress code.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank bbkkll44
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We were recently married at the Couples Resort – and wow what an experience! I wanted to write a quick review to let everyone know that we were thoroughly impressed with our entire stay. Although we came in with a unique situation, the couples resort truly met all of our expectations and beyond.

A surprise wedding is a difficult endeavor to pull off – but with the assistance of the staff and some crossing of the fingers – it worked out perfectly. We arrived on September 22 2011, which was our 10 yr anniversary together as a couple. My wonderful boyfriend proposed to me that night and we were married the very next day. He planned the entire thing and was able to keep it from me, which is a feat in itself.

With the extraordinary collaboration with the staff at the resort, especially Amber and Megan – you helped my NOW husband pull off the biggest surprise of our lives! I had no idea about any of the plans, all I knew is that I had booked a room for our 10 yr anniversary (I thought it would be a perfect place for our anniversary celebration –as we have been there before) – little did I know, there was already a Chateau booked for this occasion by my better half well before I called to book it. So thank you so much for staying patient with my never ending questions and emails. I am glad that Ryan gave you a heads up that I would be calling you. He knows my controlling ways too well and couldn’t advise against it, as he knew I would question anything that seemed out of the norm. We appreciate your efforts in trying to keep something so special – so secret! (From the fake confirmation number you provided when I called to book so as not to tip me off, to the discreet check in so I didn’t realize that we were going to our own Chateau and not the suite that I had booked).

I have to admit, I did question it for a while “Ryan they would NOT just upgrade us to a Chateau! This must be your doing.” But as we walked into Chateau Lyra – I soon forgot why the ‘upgrade’ was made and started to explore the amazing accommodation. We felt like a king and queen for the entire stay. Every little detail is thought of, big or small. Such a romantic, adventurous, relaxing resort with everything strategically thought out, from the placement of the accommodations in relation to the next, to the stock pile of wood to burn, to the conveniently placed hooks to hang the robes you never want to take off!

The wedding ceremony was so simple and exactly the way we wanted it. Just the two of us by the lake! And where do I even mention the sheer beauty of the fall colours? WOW! A special thank you to Amber thank you so very much for accommodating everything from our marriage license to the added touches to make our day so special! It was perfect! Thank you for helping create such a wonderful memory.

This resort is amazing and I recommend it to everyone I know would enjoy delicious food, impeccable staff, above and beyond service all coupled into a romantic, care free, beautiful vacation away from the everyday. Truly a one of a kind resort, in one of the most beautiful spots in Ontario! Keep up the great work; I know we will be back again – maybe this time on our ‘true’ 10 year WEDDING anniversary. I will end with a big thank you to all staff at the resort (cleaning staff, dining staff and office staff) AND especially to the Sorensen family – You have created a unique atmosphere beyond expectations when it comes to catering to the couples looking to escape and enjoy each other. Thank you so much for the pictures you took to capture our day. Very thoughtful and generous. See you next time!
Mr. and Mrs. Mayer
Married September 23rd, 2011

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. We have stayed in the Jr. Suites and most recently the Chateau Lyra. you...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed here Sept 22 for one night to celebrate an anniversary. Stayed in a basic Junior Suite which was more than adequate. Bed was very comfortable, jacuzzi with fireplace view, fireplace with free wood and starters were appreciated. Pool (90F) and hot tub only open from 2 pm to 5 pm in the fall. Check in time - 4 pm = less than one hour availability if only staying one night. The dinner was outstanding. Five courses, all well presented, the rack of lamb was amazing. Breakfast in the room the next morning enabled us to enjoy the fire longer but the food was warm at best, certainly not hot.

All in all a good place to stay. We will likely be back for a stay in the winter to ski in nearby Algonquin park and skate on the lake.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this "resort." Although we agree with others that this is not a 5 star resort, it did provide many of the characteristics we were looking for: privacy, quiet and decent food. The service is naive, for the most part - but everyone does its best. We always immediately got what we needed and everyone was friendly and polite.

We stayed in one of the Utopian chalets. Our impressions are mixed on that facility. We liked the privacy of the chalet (they are located at the far end of the property) but found ours dated and not very clean. We had to ask the cleaning staff to return to get the room ready for us. However, the chalets are very dark so it may be easy to miss dirt. And there is only so much they can do with the really grungy carpeting. In short, the problem is more one of renovation than anything else. We hope they keep the design when they renovate as the cottages are really charming.

The hot tub was marvelous and the resort maintains it scrupulously. We were never hot tub people but really loved our experience here. They use a salt treatment which is not hard on the skin and very relaxing.

We noticed that most people brought their own wine or did not drink alcohol. Although the resort advertizes in wine spectator, it may be worth rethinking this. We found the $10 charge to open the bottle pretty steep.

The food was very good, especially given the location. The menu is quite varied and offers many vegetarian choices. We would have liked to have seen more variety on dessert, but generally, we were very happy with the meals. Best breakfasts we've had anywhere. Excellent coffee.

We tried the massage services while at the resort. The staff was professional. However, the facilites are sort of strange. We felt like we had be set up in an old motel room. Again, this is more a renovation issue and to their credit, the owners are constantly renovating and improving the place.

We noticed that several raters indicated this felt like a place for older couples. Although we noticed many young couples there, we would agree that the quiet and restful atmosphere of this place may not be the right fit for those who may seek the night life or cutting-edge decor. On the other hand, this place is hard to beat for rest and relaxation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Had our honeymoon here... fantastic rooms w/ wood fireplaces, balconies, Jacuzzi tubs, all wood interior. Restaurant has the best food I’ve ever tasted. 10/10

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Nomi Resort
Arowhon Pines
Arowhon Pines
#3 of 16 in Algonquin Provincial Park
Algonquin East Gate Motel

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!