“It is worth the trip to Whitney! Come check it out!”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
“It is worth the trip to Whitney! Come check it out!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in the Master Suite & did not want to return home to "reality". The room was beautiful & we enjoyed the woodburning fireplace, hot tub & our king sized bed (so comfy!). The service was great & we thoroughly enjoyed our meals each day. We have eaten at many restaurants & the food served to us at the Couples Resort exceeds many other restaurants in quality & taste. The surroundings are beautiful & so peaceful. We look forward to returning! Thanks for the fabulous memories!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank TheBeanGirl

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We went in 2002 for our honeymoon, 2003 for our 1 year anniversary, 2004 for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary, 2005 to celebrate our pregnancy with our first child and this past weekend, 2012, our 10th wedding anniversary!!!

Although this place has changed a lot, and yes there are extra's for lots of things. The room that we stayed it was a LOT more expensive when we stayed for our honeymoon and now it's the cheapest room there is!

It wasn't the Hilton, but it was perfect for spending time with my husband. Jacuzzi in the room and fireplace, looking at the lake, lots of nice places to walk, the food was exceptional and the service was just right.

Definitely be back.

Oh we also got a free massage for being a return customer.

And no, I don't work for anyone there.

Room Tip: The 'basement' junior luxury suite, don't be turned off by them being in the 'baseme...
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I spent our first anniversay there this month. We really enjoyed our time as it was perfect weather allowing us to get outdoors and not have any bugs yet.

Because we had spent our honeymoon there last year a spa treatment was included. I chose the hot stone massage. Heavenly.

I am also allergic to milk products and the substitutes they gave me were excellent. I did not feel deprived in any way.

I knew that the room would need some updating as they said on the website that they were hoping to get the rooms upgraded in the next year. We could see upgrades in other things since we were there last year - like the dining room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suites last year and found them very good - because of the lower price this...
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

For the past 9 years my husband and I have been spending our getaway at the Couples Resort. We always look forward to our time spent in front of the fireplace, jacuzzi and the wonderful meals. Its so nice to dress for dinner in the dining room, it makes it feel special. We can not say enough about the friendliness of the staff and the lengths they go to make your stay memorable. Its so nice to go to a familiar place where they make you feel like a cherished guest. The only thing I missed from this trip was the Tiramisu for dessert, that was something to look forward too. This time the gods must have been on our side weather wise because we were there for the 3 most beautiful days in March. It allowed us to hike in Algonquin park bug free. Can't wait to go back again, hopefully this fall. Great value for the money and beautiful scenery.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We just stayed at the resort for 2 nights, and while Algonquin Park was great, the stay at the Couples Resort was very disappointing.
The accommodations we stayed at were dated and the food was mediocre at best.
While failing to deliver on quality, the resort has bizarre policies for its guests, including a dress code that is enforced in a very offensive manner (one of us was refused entry to the dinning room and got send back to our room for wearing a pair of grey cashmere "denim" pants...)
Pretension without substance. I would not recommend you stay here. Too many quality resorts in Ontario to waste time and money on this place.

26 Thank urbantraveller2
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your comments of the Couples Resort. The accommodations you stayed in have undergone a $10,000 per room renovation this Early Summer and now meet and exceed 5 Diamond standards in amenities. The Jr Suites are now very modern and fresh in colour and tone with beautiful Tile, Granite and Cedar bathrooms. The best part is that they now all have 51” Plasma TV’s and of course they still offer a King Bed, Wood burning Fireplace, double in room Jacuzzi and a very large private deck right on the Lakes edge for breathing in the Great outdoors. They were originally built in 1995 and renovated the 1st Time in 2007 so that we could finally become a 5 Star Resort, and currently still the only one on a Lake in Ontario. The rooms before had different styles, and I know one style was of old Victorian, perhaps you were in one of those and thus the dated comment, even though they were only 5 years old since their last renovation.
In regards to our mediocre food we have found a very high correlation to those not liking our food to those having challenges with our Strict Dress Code. Because of these complaints of our dress code we recently went out to verify one way or another our guests wants and from a survey of over 1000 guests over 80% said we should continue with a Strict Dress Code. It is the desire of the guests of the Couples Resort for the Dress Code as they are celebrating a Special Evening. We are just the messenger. Any person now knows explicitly that if one does not like our Dress Code, then one shall not visit us at the Couples Resort. Mind you now we are finding a few (the other 20%) of our Guests loving our Resort and having Free Room Service for Dinner,(we are now All Inclusive as well, so goodbye little fees, see our website for details) Getting dressed up has nothing to do with pretensions it has to do with feeling good about oneself, about taking a little extra care and presenting oneself nicer to the person one is with. The Dress Code here is designed to let couples show their best parts of themselves to each other, it is for the couple.
We hope that you will come and explore Algonquin Park again and stay with us at the Couples Resort, we have done so many changes for you. Sincerely Yours – JohnS-Owner
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My Husband had decided to surprise me with a few night at the resort after the holidays; It was a nice surprise.
We felt the room was dated(bedding, bathroom, colours)
Besides cosmetic things the food was fabulous and the surroundings were great. Dining Staff were wonderful. I did have an upsetting second night meal with the steak I ordered arrived blue when I ordered medium; and was over spiced, I asked if this issue could be corrected, and when the steak was returned to be it appeared to have been washed off and placed back on the grill as it was cut exactly as I had returned it and had no seasoning on it. The first night it was fabulous; so I was upset by the way it was the second night!
Upon checking in; we were were told that an information binder with in our room but if we had questions to call or visit the reception area.
We decided to relax for a bit and then figured we would like to go skating in town and so we went to get some skates only to find the activites centre closed even though the sign stated it was still open for another 40 minutes! After asking the reception she stated he was open for another 10 mintues as the schedule was different in the winter, and upon radioing the activity centre the attendant stated he was closed already and she apoligized as the schedule she had for that day stated he was suppose to be open still! Really... okay... so the next day we went in after breakfast to book a spa service to be told we could have one late the next day which was way after departure time and such... This was annoying and frustration as this should be advised upon checking in that you need to book this stuff before coming or upon arrival... I have never been here before how am I to know this as nothing says this anywhere.
Then we decided we would like to enjoy some activities but had to wait 30 mins for reception to track down the activity centre attendant as he was no to be found an hour after the centre was suppose to be open!
They ask you to advise them of the issues or problem you are having so they can correct and make sure your stay is enjoyable BUT don't do anything to "satisfy" the guest... all I was asking for was maybe to have an apology! I never recieved that .. just simply well there is got to be reasons... and well that happens!
I am not in a hurry to go back!

Room Tip: Just be sure you are prepared for your visit.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A A
nord de l'Ontario
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I needed to escape life for 24 hours so we booked the Rhéa Utopian Chalet last minute and paid a reasonable price. Our stay March 9 to 10 was amazing. The staff were very pleasant, polite and professional. We had the intention of going dog sledding or snowshoeing but ended up staying in our chalet. The chalet was inviting and cozy. Supper was 5* and so was breakfast. My husband suffers from Celiac Disease and has to follow a gluten free diet. The staff were very mindfull of that and took extra steps to ensure my husband's meals were gluten free. We spent our time in front of our fireplace, in the hot tub or the jacuzzi. It was nice and private. Although the bathroom was dated and could use a face lift it was very well maintained and very clean. All the reviews you have read are definitely accurate. Would we go again .....YOU BET... My mission is now to stay in every room there ...and to visit during every season ! It was by far the best experience I have had in an Ontario resort !

Room Tip: Tip: return customers benifit from additional discounts
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Nomi Resort
Nomi Resort
#1 of 1 in Harcourt

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!