My wife and I have been visiting Couple Resort since 1994 when it was referred to as Beartrail Inn. There have been many changes over the years and mostly to the better. The Spa Villas, the Chateaus and every the basic (if you can refer to them as basic) junior suites are well appointed and packed with spa amenities to wash all your tensions away. The dinning room produces delicious and creative dinners served with impeccable service by friendly wait staff.
The staff is amazing with everyone being friendly and willing to help or even smile and say hello. Reading the other reviews there is really nothing I can add to describe the luxury that you will experience when you stay here.
There were a couple of things that did surprise us and seemed petty and ruined the opulence of Couples Resort making it look cheap. First off was coffee in the room. Couples offers Keurig coffee in the room and several flavours are available for your pleasure. However because guests were taking them all home at the end of their stay, Couples has put a charge of $2.00 per Keurig cup. I can understand this attempt to save costs but there are other solutions that could have been used like leave 2 cups in the room and offer other flavours at the front desk for an additional cost. Or even leave the old drip coffee makers in the rooms to provide guests with a choice.
The second noticeable event was breakfast. Now their breakfast is awesome and the eggs Benedict rank up with best I've had so far, but again the spectre of El Cheapo can be found here. If you wish an additional side ie sausage with your bacon and eggs, I can see an additional charge. But to charge for home fries or toast at $3.00 seems excessive and...well cheap.
Despite the apparent "Nickel and Diming", Couples Resort is a fabulous place to spend some quiet romantic time with the one you love. Will we return? Absolutely! Ignoring the fact of the extra charges, we will visit Couples resort again, in fact we have made a pledge to come at least once a year, with coffee maker in tow. My hope is that Couples Resort will revisit their extra charges policy and come up with a creative way of preventing greedy guests from taking advantage of their hospitality and provide the decadent stress free stay guests expect. Oh, kudos to Couples in eliminating their "Eco Fee". Enjoy your stay!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Whitney, Ontario, Canada