“The prices are outrageous!!!”
Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
Toronto, Canada
“The prices are outrageous!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Let's start by saying that we love the Couples Resort and we want to return. We have been here twice, and both times have had a fantastic and romantic time. We wanted to come back this fall to see the leaves change, but the prices are so astronomical that it is near impossible.

All of October requires you to to stay for a 3 night minimum in the master suites, or 2 nights minimum in a chateau. The price to stay in a chateau on a MONDAY is $766.00 before tax! A 2 night minimum runs you close to $1600.00! There is also a misleading claim on the website that the 3rd night in the chateau is free. We were even ready to splurge the $1600.00 based on that claim, but upon further investigation we were told that with a "free" night it would actually cost $1990.00 for 3 nights. This is because only the cheapest night is free, and the way the scheduled rates are set up you are forced to buy a more expensive night.

The 3 night minimum in the master suite is only a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. We are well aware that this includes your dinner and breakfast but for a limited menu that never changes and the food being just ok, this is insanely overpriced! Guys, we want to return and spend money at your establishment, but can you at least be a little more reasonable with the minimum stays? Like I said, we were willing to pay $1600.00 for 3 nights in a chateau and we would be willing to pay a 2 night minimum in the masters, but any more than that is out of the question! Please look into this, because you are actually losing loyal customers based on these conditions.

There is one other issue that I would like to address, and I am going to choose my words carefully now, because Trip Advisor does not allow you to respond to management comments. I have been reading some of the other reviews and I am absolutely shocked at how the owner deals with negative reviews! A reviewer who wrote a 4 star review, while pointing out that some improvements are needed to make this a 5 star property was told that he is not welcome back to the resort and was told to use his brain and not his mouth. What!???

Future guests shouldn't have to read comments that make the property and management look unprofessional from the STAFF! You are in the customer service industry and after having spent hundreds or thousands of dollars at a resort the customer certainly has the right to write about his experience on a travel website without being personally and publicly attacked by the property owner. I hope to that you learn to take constructive critiques from your customers and use them to your benefit, instead of fighting publicly with your former guests. It leaves the readers with a very negative feeling.

I do hope that you look into your pricing structure so we can return, unless I am now not welcome :)

20 Thank alex1012hearts
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you love our Couples Resort so much and that you have been here twice before.
Yes the Chateaus are free 3rd night as it states on the website beside the Chateau: “FREE 3rd Night. RESERVE YOUR TOP 10 STAY by calling us and we will give you 1 out of every 3 nights FREE (least value of the 3 nights)” nothing misleading here as it clearly says “FREE (least value of the 3 nights). As we approach closer to arrival dates in October we will be releasing non-sold rooms to 2 nights, I hope that will help you. The Autumn can be the most expensive time here at the Resort because of the huge demand from Travelers all over the World searching out Algonquin Fall Colours. The Resort prices rooms based on Demand of travelers, similar to other Hotels and Air Plane Carriers. We are in absolute gratitude to those guests that stay in this time of the year. They help add more value to the Resort as it allows us to offer more things for free year round and they allow us to do better and more frequent upgrades, without these guests the Resort would be out of business as the rest of the year does not allow enough revenue to stay afloat.
Thank you for commenting on how I look at customer service. I have been fortunate to be running this Couples Resort as the General Manager / Owner for 24 years. I have, as their President, also set up the Tourism Region of Muskoka - Algonquin - Parry Sound which for many reasons is the envy of all the other Tourism Regions in Ontario. And finally as I was the President and Chair of our local area Hospital I put in place service to take care of more patients at a higher standard than before I arrived and this was during the cut back years. My view is unique, I will accept that, and to date it has been far more effective than giving in or being nice to everyone. Some people do not deserve to be nice to, although we try very hard to please, there is a limit to how far they can push us, especially if it does not benefit the Majority. In the age when there are many businesses only run by management, with no ownership in the game, the rules do play different. I have noticed many companies where the management will give away anything the customer desires, even if it means bankrupting the company, as I have seen happen to many other Resorts, Hotels, Inns and other business in Ontario. My view is simple: treat all problems equally, do not allow one guest to benefit further from a mishap than any other guest would. Unfortunately there are guests (a rare drop in the bucket) that create drama to try and benefit themselves more than their neighbor, an act of drama which they have done for years in many other transactions (both business and personal). It is just that we do not put up with it, and I am unapologetic for that, and it is ok that they feel they need to be vindictive to us on TripAdvisor.
I love guests and have been pushing this Resort and its Staff to be exceptional, and over the many years in operation we have been better than most in that goal. I love critiques, but I believe there is a distinct difference between a critique which would compare our property to other properties in Canada or Ontario, and a personal vindictive attack. Read carefully those other critiques and you too will see the difference, as I do. Please also remember that we are a small enough property and we get to know which guest actually wrote the vindictive review based on their actions throughout the Resort, they are not as anonymous as they think they are.
Use TripAdvisor to complement the things you like about a property and staff, and when you talk about the things you do not like make sure to compare apples to apples and suggest why you would choose another Resort in Ontario or Canada. If you just want us to be better without comparisons or you have ideas, than just email our ombudsman, Darlene, who emails you shortly after your stay with us. She will make sure I get the information without it going to an open forum.
I will work hard to have this Resort be here for you year after year, this is my pledge to you and to all Couples that enjoy us. Sincerely JohnS – Owner.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife and I come back every year.
The food, the staff and the rooms are excellent.
It is so tranquil, it is booked full and yet it feels as if you have the place to yourselves.
It may seem pricey but its worth every penny. we have stayed at many other resorts and everything else pales by comparison.
My only wish is that it were closer to Toronto!

Doug and Gabriella

Room Tip: I noted some of the complaints about dark rooms by some people. This is a couples resort! The darkne...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thanks for continuing to visit us on a yearly basis. I am sorry we could not be closer to Toronto, but like you, the Sorensen Family prefers the tranquility of Algonquin Park. I am grateful that this is your oasis. Thanks for sharing your room tips and thanking the staff. See you again next year.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have been to Couples Resort 3 times now, and every time I wonder why we don't make the trip more times throughout the year. The staff are so accomodating, I log on to the website and chat with the front desk before we leave, so they know we are coming should we hit bad weather, they have our room and dinner ready for us when we arrive. The food is delicious, for myself breakfast and dinner are large enough but for my boyfriend we bring him lunch food. The rooms have a mini fidge and microwave so we can make him snacks and sandwichs. The money - may seen like a lot for somewhere in Ontario - but the food and the room and the relaxing feeling that comes over you, makes every penny worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Master Suite - becuase it had a big tv (and it was hockey season). They have...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thanks so much for the kind review. I am so glad that you time here together is all that you could want it to be. We really appreciate you taking the time to add the room tips to your review. I often point these out to guests having a hard time deciding on which room style to choose. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit
Markham, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My Girlfriend and I took a snowmobile trip from Kushog lake were the cottage is to this resort via snowmobile.It was a great trip through Algonquin park via the hydro line to Whitney in Febuary on the B trail.It took us about 3 hours at an easy pace with a couple stops.
The resort is fantastic Hot Tubs in the rooms which is great after snowmobiling.Real wood fire places in the rooms nice big screen tv's as well .Oh and gourmet meals included this place is perfect for a couple days get away we went in winter but any season would be fine.I would give this place a 4.5 out of 5 for everything and will return next year maybe valentines day or family day you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: the best value would be the regular rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
I swear as I read this I felt a wave of cool hit me. Much appreciated in the heat of summer! Thanks so much for your winter review. We look forward to seeing you on your next winter snowmobile visit.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

It's been at least 10 years since our last stay at the former "Bear Trail Inn" and not because of any lack on their behalf. Times and seasons in our lives have changed and we find ourselves as a 'couple' again. This resort, as the name states caters to couples only and is the ideal near-north get-away for 2 if you want a time of balanced relaxation/activity and cultural/environmental stimulation.
One of our travel mantras is to support so called 'mom and pop' establishments of our great country because each one represents a dream someone has had. Bear Trail Inn or Couples Resort, as it is called today (aptly named so as to render as many Internet hits as possible) was the dream of Gertrude Sorenson and her husband and she holds a beautiful art gallery and residence on the property.
Dinners were absolutely 5-star fine dining in a truly rustic/elegant dining room. The wait staff were both attentive and friendly. Alisha, Anita and the dual Derek's were absolutely charming.
Facilities and activities were top quality. We will definitely be back much sooner than last time....thinking this fall. See below for a hint about choosing a room.

Room Tip: If staying in the junior suites ask for a ground level room. Room 42 was perfect. The weather was ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Congratulations on reaching the “couple” stage of your life again. Being together is a challenge with kids, work and life. I am glad you have gotten time back to focus on the two of you. I am glad you like the new Couples Resort as much as you enjoyed Bear Trail in the past. We too have grown over the years. Women were the original reason we dropped the Bear Trail from our Advertising. I enjoy your mantra of support for mom and pop establishments, we too try to support as many as possible within Canada. Too many businesses have corporate offices not from this Country. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.
Toronto
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Let's start with the good part - the staff were VERY nice... And that's about it for the positive. We ate dinner on our balcony, because they insisted on my husband wearing a tie for dinner, in their tacky dining room. The food was terrible, I couldn't even eat it. The salad had blobs of dressing on it and the sauces tasted as though they had come from a can. The room was kind of hilarious, with a giant hot tub, brass trimmed fireplace, filthy old couch and the bed looked like it was made by a 10 year old. We had just booked one of their less expensive rooms as we were only there for one night and had just left a fabulous resort in the heart of Algonquin Park. We didn't have time the next morning to stay for breakfast, but after sleeping in the WORST bed (2 gullies with a ridge in the middle) I'd ever slept on, I just wanted to get the heck out of
there. Yes, and all that for just over $400 a night!

9 Thank Glenda B
Great to hear you thought the staff were great, they love reading the reviews and they love appreciation in their job.
Too bad when the office told you when reserving with us that you needed a Tie, and you decided to push your luck. Too bad you did not read your reservation confirmation that says Semi-Formal dining room and too bad that you did not look at our Website that has the Semi-formal dining splattered all over it. Too bad you do not appreciate European Wool Carpeting, Italian Furnishings, American Oak and German China when you say our dining room is tacky. Too bad you did not ask us to remove the 3” Down Topper on top of the Mattress so you could sleep on one of the Finest new mattresses in Canada. You could have called us in the middle of the night and we could have removed it for you, or you could have in 2 minutes removed it yourself, it is just under the fitted sheet. What I will say is this: Your review will be placed beside several other 1 star reviews on the tripadvisor website and it is a common theme from people like you. If you are above the rest of our guests in refusing to acknowledge that the dining here is about a special evening, special for each couple, than you will be so upset to show us one, and make sure you slam everything else here, just like those other reviews. I do not know why you thought we could change the rules of what all the other guests want just for you. But we know if you are going to be very mad about our dress code policy that you will berate us to no end. Know what we offer, it is clear on our website, and you will have an amazing time just like the hundreds of thousands of guests before you.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed at the Couples Resort as a wedding anniversary gift to ourselves.

We booked a day after a promotion had been running, and because we missed the promotion, ended up paying double the promoted rate. The hotel was unwilling to give us the promoted rate, which was very disappointing considering we were only a few hours late. The rate for our two night mid week stay was around $700.

For those of you unfamiliar with this resort, gratuities are paid up front. So, 15% is paid on the entire package, not just the meals. The Couples Resort has the phrase "let us spoil you" as their slogan. With that in mind, and the fact that we had already paid well over $100 in gratuities, we felt that we were in for a trip of a lifetime.

As far as a accomodations go, our junior suite was excellent. There was a very comfortable king size bed, fireplace, and jacuzzi in the room. Keurig coffee was available for $2/cup, which seemed a bit petty considering the cost of the stay. Maid service in the room was good and we had no complaints about the washroom.

The food provided by the resort was very good -- at dinner. Both nights we were stuffed when we left our five course meal. There is a wide selection of fine dining available here and the serving staff within the dining room were nice.

At the end of your dinner, you can order your breakfast directly from the dining room for delivery to your room the next day. The first day we ordered food, along with an extra order of home fries (as the eggs benedict did not come with them.) The food showed up in our room without home fries and also without toast for my wife's meal (included.) We made a call to room service and the home fries and toast were brought right up.

On day two, our breakfast arrived again with no home fries, and toast. This time, for a meal that clearly includes both items on the menu. We called down for these items and were met by a rude room service employee who explained that it was our fault because the server did not specifically write down that we wanted these items. We replied that the menu clearly states these items were included, and that our server was responsible for what was written on the order, not us. The employee continued to argue with us, blaming us for the issue. I certainly don't expect to have a 10am argument in my bath robe when I have paid over $700 for a two day vacation over something as trivial as home fries and toast. This was a black mark on an otherwise very nice vacation.

The pool and hot tub are setup very nicely, however the pool is not cleaned often enough. It was full of dead flies, which, considering the proximity to Algonquin Park, is not shocking. However, one would think that constant cleaning of the pool every hour or so would remedy this problem.

We ordered drinks from the pool and waited over 25 minutes for each. Perhaps if we were tipping individually for these drinks, service would have been quicker.

We went on a bike ride and kayak ride which was very nice and had fun playing in the games room.

This is a beautiful resort which I would have no problem rating as 5 star, other than the problems we had with the service. I would go again, but would try to get a promotional rate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ski D
Thanks for the review. We appreciate your comments. Sorry about the services that went wrong, it is very rare that happens with us. I am also sorry you missed the promotion price as these are always snapped up early and prices tend to rise as we get closer to arrival dates, especially as room availability becomes limited. Best to always book early. Regards to the issues with room service, I am forwarding this to our executive chef to be rectified. We also now have one person on designated to the pool/patio for services so there should not be any issue any more in that area, we aim to please. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!