All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and igames roomroom servicewood burning fireplacespa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubcourse mealour honeymoonk cupsfive star
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had a lovely weekend at a lovely resort. The room was fabulous, food very nice and no complaints on the service. Compliments on the Blackened Cod! Never had better - delicious and perfectly cooked! Desserts were not as good as the cod, a bit less pastry under the peach strudel would have made it much better (just a suggestion).

Just a heads up - no need to "over answer" a negative comment - it is only meant as constructive feedback. Too much answer, is a bit alarming.

I did not fill out an employee feedback card, but compliments to Derek the waiter! he was exceptional both in the dining room and on the site! Also, one of the employees in the spa complimented the owners in a big way sharing that they really did care about their employees. Wonderful to hear in this day and age!

The property is lovely and the area is wonderful to visit - check out the Logging Museum just inside the East gate of the park! Your upgrades were well worth it! Congratulations on a wonderful resort!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thanks so kindly for such a wonderful review. We very much appreciate it. Our owner and employees all will be happy to hear your comments.
Although some may feel that our owner “over answers” sometimes, be sure that he is looking out for and trying to protect his staff and Resort.
We take all comments and feedback into consideration always.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in May, and while we quite enjoyed our stay because we wanted some quality time together, we almost didn't book because of the rude and uncalled for tirades from the staff in response to any criticism of the resort. Believe me it is not perfect and quite expensive as well. The room we had was adequate. The food was very acceptable - but most important, it is a great spot to get away from it all. I would hesitate to return though, because if a real issue arose, I would not want to be subjected to their scorn and disdain.

We travel a lot and read a lot of trip advisors, and never ever have I heard responses the staff of Couples feel it is acceptable to give.

• Stayed: May 2013
9  Thank Ottawa100
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you found your great spot to getaway, and that you were able to enjoy a wonderful time together.

I am sorry that you did not like the comments I made to a few hateful reviewers. But rest assured we work with real concerns and come up with proper and fair solutions if you have problems here at the Resort. Any problems we ask that you to bring them immediately (including call our on-call service in the middle of the night) to our attention so that we can solve and fix them so that you can continue enjoying your escape. We also have a 100% Guarantee of a full refund in the first 5 hours of ones stay with us between 4 and 9 pm if you do not like us. First, I believe as a guiding truism: that about 1 person out of every 1000 people that one makes contact with, one would never want that person in ones group of friends or acquaintances. Our Example: in July and August we had over 2000 guests, The “Terrible and Poor” reviews equals 2. So 2 out of 2000 guests or 1 in a 1000. That tells me we satisfy 99.9% of our guests and I understand the best companies of the world would love to have numbers above 95% (we far exceed that). Secondly, Unfortunately, more and more businesses are feeling besieged by very few patrons who believe they can berate. We have already been threatened with extortion from some of these guests by their demands that we must do something for them, even though it is against our policies and would infringe on other guests. They have said to our face “let me do this (or let me have this) which no one else is having, or if you do not we will write a horrible review on Trip Advisor”. I am very principled in fairness to all clients, which may come from my previous years running a Hospital, and I would rather address these people for who they are; manipulators. I think we can all think of at least 1 person who has been in or is now in our circle of friends and family that we wouldn’t trust for barely a moment, and how much do we hear about previous friends being Un-friended on FaceBook. The Couples Resort has on average well over a 1000 visitors each month, it is bound to happen that someone will come along to try and exploit and take advantage for their own benefit without any regard to anyone else. In the old days this use to happen in a closed office, today it is on an open forum, but these very few individuals don’t seem to care, because again, it is all about them. Believe us when we say we do not want to engage like this either, but we are left with no options, as we tried the suggested PR strategy over a year ago and it failed with the destruction of 40% of our business. Today we have regained the business loss; because we take care of our guests when on-site and we address customers as needed on-line. The best part is we now have a growing number of guests pleased that these few are being scrutinized and especially it allows the silent vast majority to feel relief about their special Couples Resort and carry on with their good times. We hope you and your partner will also carry on with your good times. We look forward to having you return. JohnS-Owner.

P.S. Darlene is a caring wonderful team member working for your benefit to help you find the best holiday experience, and she lets me comment on those that try to destroy our business and the 70 jobs and multiple suppliers that need this business to live on which supports them and their families and we do all this for you, so you will have that great spot.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Couples Resort this past week for the sole purpose of peace and quiet. We chose a Junior Suite, knowing this was the least expensive, but still a fair bit of money. The room was very cozy, spacious, comfortable bed, great fireplace, etc. Not much to complain about there.

Where we were disappointed though was the dining room staff. The staff all seemed quite young, which is not a crime, but they also seemed pretty inexperienced. The first night we asked for help in choosing a wine and didn't really find the young gentleman that knowledgeable. Also, once he uncorked the bottle and poured our glass, we never saw him again.

The second night was no better. When we greeted the waitress and asked how come we hadn't seen her the night before, she told us she just had 4 days off. I said, great, you are well rested! She said, "not really, I'm tired, I have been here since 11 AM ... when we have days off we are expected to work long and hard hours"...? We didn't need to hear this. She seemed rushed and not interested in being there.

All in all, it was a nice getaway. The food was good and accommodations were nice.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hella16

Thank you for enjoying your time with us and having a nice getaway. There are other resorts in Ontario that are less expensive than us and we ask guests to always not spend more than they can afford on a vacation destination. Spending more than one can afford can lead to more stress than the vacation provides relief, so always plan within ones yearly household budget. Thank you for commenting on our serving staff. With an average age of 42 for our morning servers of which many have been serving for decades and an average age of 31 for our evening servers of which most have been serving for more than 5 years we apologize that they look younger than us, perhaps something to do with the good fresh Algonquin Air, or something to do with us getting older each year, sigh. Here at the Resort our serving staff that must work less than 44 hours a week in their profession, do not think they are working long hard hours. We must remember that it is a professional career that is harder than most and very few people like to work at night, so we honour those that take on this profession to take care of us. After the last email from the other gentleman we have corrected the pouring of wines by our Wine Stewards and if you purchase wine from us we now definitely keep your wine glasses 2 fingers full. Sorry you were here before the correction. Both Wine Stewards have been serving customers for over 10 years, and both look young, their experience will only improve, thanks. JohnS-Owner

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed in a chateau for three nights and this was the finest Ontario resort accommodation, we have ever experienced. The setting was tranquil and serene. Either sitting on the deck overlooking the lake (or in the hot-tub) with champagne or relaxing in the living room with a roaring two-sided fireplace, this was a wonderful experience. The unit even included everything imaginable, a sauna, a bedroom jacuzzi, a large shower/steam room with multiple jets and comfortable furniture. The service was first class all the way. If anything needed attention, one phone call and it was quickly taken care of.

The dining experience, however, did not quite live up to the above rave review. The dining room is very pretty and if you stay in a chateau, you are guaranteed window seats, which can make the evening extra special, overlooking the lake.

The entrees were quite varied and some better than others. On our first night, we had the pasta special (tiny Digby scallops with smoked salmon in a rose lobster sauce). The dish was overpowered by a very strong smokey taste that made it difficult for us to finish. On our second night, I had an amazing Angus steak while my wife had the chicken, which she described as shake-in-bake! We both had the Walleye fish on the third evening and it was quite good. The deserts on all three nights were consistently very good, while the appetizers were just OK.

This resort has a wine spectator award of excellence wine list, which gave high expectations for both the list and the wine service. The wine list did not disappoint. The night before arrival, I called and spoke to someone in the dining room inquiring if they had any French burgundy wines. I was trying to decide whether to BYOB (at a reasonable $15 corkage) or order off the list. I was informed they do not carry any wines from burgundy, even though they had quite a few whites and reds on their eight page wine list (surprise, surprise). The free sommelier service that is included with the chateaus (value $40 per day, plus corkage) seemed non-existant. Upon arriving for dinner, the wine steward opened the wine, or decanted it upon request, and was never seen again, on any of our three nights.

If you go to Couples Resort looking for five star accommodation and a good dining experience, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you found your tranquility and serenity and had such a wonderful romantic time. A quiet place for Couples to spend with each other is 100% why we exist, so thank you. This is probably why Trip Advisor rates us as #1 (out of all hotels, resorts, inns, casinos) in Ontario for Romance.
Sorry to hear we missed on the Sommelier Service, this will be corrected immediately. The dining room is of 5 Star Experience - including the linens on the tables, to the comfortable cushioned arm-rest chairs, silver plate cutlery, fine European China, crystal glassware, upscale wool carpets and American oak paneling. 3-4 star dining experiences would not have any of these things that we offer and I am sure you would not want us to take all of those things away on your return trip. In our 5 Star Dining experience we also prepare each meal to order using only the finest ingredients, with organic vegetables from our own gardens, and we do this with a full kitchen brigade of chefs. Compare this to many 3-4 stars that use frozen to plate to save on chef costs. Thank you for saying the service is 1st class all the way, as without them in the dining room you would have had a true 3-4 star experience or worse. The Dining room offers Gourmet, 1st Class, 5 Course and yet we understand that food is a subjective fare, as everyone’s tastes are different. We are sorry that the dinner was not perfect for you in all areas. The Dining will never be 100% perfect in all foods to everyone’s tastes and we are very glad you still found many items on our very extensive menu to enjoy. We look forward to your return so that you can escape again.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I spent this past weekend at the couples resort. It was wonderful. We had an upper floor junior suite in the main building. We loved our large balcony overlooking the lake. We were room 15 and the only problem we found was the front door banging whenever someone entered or exited the building. We saw this as a complain back in August and it wasn't fixed. We spoke to the front desk and the lady there said she would get maintenance to look at it. Well they never did the whole time we were there. Luckily on the last morning the door was propped over so we didn't have to hear the banging.

We loved the meals. We dressed up and enjoyed a 5 course dinner both nights. Lots of selection and the servers were great. Breakfast was also good. The waffles are delicious.
They have a huge garden on the property so most produce is fresh and grown on site.

We took the bikes out on Saturday morning and many people were enjoying the canoes. The pool and hot tub we closed for the season.

Overall it was a wonderful weekend. Hope to go back soon. Too bad it's so much money for a weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cejl

Thanks so much for the review. I have sent the owner to fix the lobby door(s), and John assures me that they are now fixed (screws needed adjusting). Truly Sorry we screwed up on this simple problem. Great to hear that you loved so many things about our Resort. If you can sneak away midweek starting the first week of November to the beginning of June prices are 70% Off and from $76 per person per night with those delicious meals included, also a great time to use the wood-burning fireplace with the cold nights . Hope to see you again soon.