All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and igames roomroom servicewood burning fireplacespa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubcourse mealour honeymoonk cupsfive star
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Save your money. My husband and I stayed for 2 nights this past weekend. The weather was amazing, thankfully. We stayed in the Venus cabin. The decor is old and it shows. The dinner staff are all young and inexperienced. Our first night we asked for a glass of port after dinner. We got what seemed to be less than a 2 oz serving but we sipped on it and didn't say anything. The next night we asked for the same and we were told it was gone. We asked for the next selection to find out it was also gone. No suggestions on "would you like something else"? When you get the bill before you ask for it and before you are finished, it is quite annoying. The wine steward, John and Scott were not at all experienced. We found out Cayla was dating Scott. We had massages the morning we were leaving and they were terrible. The women who massaged me forgot that nails are not for massaging. Maybe cutting them would be a good idea before you massage someone. We were also told we had to be out of our room in 8 mins after our massage. The staff was just rude. We will not be back. After spending over $2k you would think a simple thank you would've been appropriate. I would not recommend this place. Also - fitness room was old and dirty. Eileen and Chris Tarrant

9  Thank Eileen T
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your review. We are really glad you had a great time out in Algonquin with such beautiful weather and with the most incredible fall colours that are out everywhere. Sorry the cabin didn’t match you, but we have many others that would. Yes the cabin is an original cabin and we make sure the description on our website about that accommodation matches it by saying “lakefront and completely finished in dark cedar and are now with private hot tubs. Enjoy the Rustic Luxury of original Canadiana Cabins while indulging in the atmosphere of pure wood.“ Dark, wood and Rustic would indicate something you probably were not comfortable with. Otherwise the Furniture was all replaced new just a few years ago with the addition of a 50” plasma TV and a private Hot Tub on the Deck to help enjoy original Canadiana with some Luxury. Next time, I would suggest the Masters Juniors Suite if you wanted a flawless suite or the Chateau Cabin if you wanted Opulence in a Cabin format, both would have been far more luxurious and certainly not Rustic Luxury. The 2 Rustic Cabins we have are a huge draw for certain types of couples and often they are filled up well in advance as many love that original Canadiana style, especially with the real wood fireplace going, so we are sorry it was not to your liking.
I am sorry we were out of a couple favourite drinks for you so we will make sure we replenish. John and Scott as Wine Stewards, will always be helpful within their abilities. I have now removed the Wine Sommelier from our Resort and website.
The nails were horrible on you, but we did not find out what was terrible about your husband’s massage, with the 2nd Esthetician, as you said both Estheticians were terrible. I hope you were able to discuss the Spa with the Spa Manager to have a corrective measure. The Spa Manager would have inspected and corrected immediately. It is very rare indeed that Spa Staff need correcting, as they normally receive significant praise.
I am so thrilled that the Office gave you another hour to stay in your accommodation past the 11 o’clock check out time, so that you could enjoy your spa time to noon, it is unfortunate that you felt shafted and that we cut you short, when exactly the opposite happened.
Now that you have a better understanding of the Accommodations and Services we provide we look forward to your return. JohnS-Owner.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Have been there several times over the years and that latest visit will be our last. Service in the dining room was terrible, the food was good, quality of the jr. suites is what you would expect of a motel..wood panelled showers, tube t.v.s and peeling 80's wall paper. The Master Jr and villa's are much better but so very dated. Cleaning staff did a half hearted job on our room every day and my complaint about the service was essentially met with an "oh well". When I pay $600 a night, I have a legitimate expectation of a high level of service, especially given that their motto is "let us pamper you". I have also stayed at other high end resorts so I have a basis for comparison. This is NOT a 5 star resort and for the price point, you can get much better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay away from JR suites.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had a lovely weekend at a lovely resort. The room was fabulous, food very nice and no complaints on the service. Compliments on the Blackened Cod! Never had better - delicious and perfectly cooked! Desserts were not as good as the cod, a bit less pastry under the peach strudel would have made it much better (just a suggestion).

Just a heads up - no need to "over answer" a negative comment - it is only meant as constructive feedback. Too much answer, is a bit alarming.

I did not fill out an employee feedback card, but compliments to Derek the waiter! he was exceptional both in the dining room and on the site! Also, one of the employees in the spa complimented the owners in a big way sharing that they really did care about their employees. Wonderful to hear in this day and age!

The property is lovely and the area is wonderful to visit - check out the Logging Museum just inside the East gate of the park! Your upgrades were well worth it! Congratulations on a wonderful resort!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thanks so kindly for such a wonderful review. We very much appreciate it. Our owner and employees all will be happy to hear your comments.
Although some may feel that our owner “over answers” sometimes, be sure that he is looking out for and trying to protect his staff and Resort.
We take all comments and feedback into consideration always.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in May, and while we quite enjoyed our stay because we wanted some quality time together, we almost didn't book because of the rude and uncalled for tirades from the staff in response to any criticism of the resort. Believe me it is not perfect and quite expensive as well. The room we had was adequate. The food was very acceptable - but most important, it is a great spot to get away from it all. I would hesitate to return though, because if a real issue arose, I would not want to be subjected to their scorn and disdain.

We travel a lot and read a lot of trip advisors, and never ever have I heard responses the staff of Couples feel it is acceptable to give.

• Stayed: May 2013
9  Thank Ottawa100
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you found your great spot to getaway, and that you were able to enjoy a wonderful time together.

I am sorry that you did not like the comments I made to a few hateful reviewers. But rest assured we work with real concerns and come up with proper and fair solutions if you have problems here at the Resort. Any problems we ask that you to bring them immediately (including call our on-call service in the middle of the night) to our attention so that we can solve and fix them so that you can continue enjoying your escape. We also have a 100% Guarantee of a full refund in the first 5 hours of ones stay with us between 4 and 9 pm if you do not like us. First, I believe as a guiding truism: that about 1 person out of every 1000 people that one makes contact with, one would never want that person in ones group of friends or acquaintances. Our Example: in July and August we had over 2000 guests, The “Terrible and Poor” reviews equals 2. So 2 out of 2000 guests or 1 in a 1000. That tells me we satisfy 99.9% of our guests and I understand the best companies of the world would love to have numbers above 95% (we far exceed that). Secondly, Unfortunately, more and more businesses are feeling besieged by very few patrons who believe they can berate. We have already been threatened with extortion from some of these guests by their demands that we must do something for them, even though it is against our policies and would infringe on other guests. They have said to our face “let me do this (or let me have this) which no one else is having, or if you do not we will write a horrible review on Trip Advisor”. I am very principled in fairness to all clients, which may come from my previous years running a Hospital, and I would rather address these people for who they are; manipulators. I think we can all think of at least 1 person who has been in or is now in our circle of friends and family that we wouldn’t trust for barely a moment, and how much do we hear about previous friends being Un-friended on FaceBook. The Couples Resort has on average well over a 1000 visitors each month, it is bound to happen that someone will come along to try and exploit and take advantage for their own benefit without any regard to anyone else. In the old days this use to happen in a closed office, today it is on an open forum, but these very few individuals don’t seem to care, because again, it is all about them. Believe us when we say we do not want to engage like this either, but we are left with no options, as we tried the suggested PR strategy over a year ago and it failed with the destruction of 40% of our business. Today we have regained the business loss; because we take care of our guests when on-site and we address customers as needed on-line. The best part is we now have a growing number of guests pleased that these few are being scrutinized and especially it allows the silent vast majority to feel relief about their special Couples Resort and carry on with their good times. We hope you and your partner will also carry on with your good times. We look forward to having you return. JohnS-Owner.

P.S. Darlene is a caring wonderful team member working for your benefit to help you find the best holiday experience, and she lets me comment on those that try to destroy our business and the 70 jobs and multiple suppliers that need this business to live on which supports them and their families and we do all this for you, so you will have that great spot.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Couples Resort this past week for the sole purpose of peace and quiet. We chose a Junior Suite, knowing this was the least expensive, but still a fair bit of money. The room was very cozy, spacious, comfortable bed, great fireplace, etc. Not much to complain about there.

Where we were disappointed though was the dining room staff. The staff all seemed quite young, which is not a crime, but they also seemed pretty inexperienced. The first night we asked for help in choosing a wine and didn't really find the young gentleman that knowledgeable. Also, once he uncorked the bottle and poured our glass, we never saw him again.

The second night was no better. When we greeted the waitress and asked how come we hadn't seen her the night before, she told us she just had 4 days off. I said, great, you are well rested! She said, "not really, I'm tired, I have been here since 11 AM ... when we have days off we are expected to work long and hard hours"...? We didn't need to hear this. She seemed rushed and not interested in being there.

All in all, it was a nice getaway. The food was good and accommodations were nice.

3  Thank hella16

Thank you for enjoying your time with us and having a nice getaway. There are other resorts in Ontario that are less expensive than us and we ask guests to always not spend more than they can afford on a vacation destination. Spending more than one can afford can lead to more stress than the vacation provides relief, so always plan within ones yearly household budget. Thank you for commenting on our serving staff. With an average age of 42 for our morning servers of which many have been serving for decades and an average age of 31 for our evening servers of which most have been serving for more than 5 years we apologize that they look younger than us, perhaps something to do with the good fresh Algonquin Air, or something to do with us getting older each year, sigh. Here at the Resort our serving staff that must work less than 44 hours a week in their profession, do not think they are working long hard hours. We must remember that it is a professional career that is harder than most and very few people like to work at night, so we honour those that take on this profession to take care of us. After the last email from the other gentleman we have corrected the pouring of wines by our Wine Stewards and if you purchase wine from us we now definitely keep your wine glasses 2 fingers full. Sorry you were here before the correction. Both Wine Stewards have been serving customers for over 10 years, and both look young, their experience will only improve, thanks. JohnS-Owner