All reviews steam shower junior suite dining room dress code my husband and i games room wood burning fireplace room service spa villa algonquin park dining experience horseback riding private hot tub course meal our honeymoon k cups five star
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Please know my wife originally wrote a review for this property and management (the owner specifically), wrote that: "We wish your husband could have written the review instead because it seems he would have given us a much better score".

On that note, I am using my wife's account to detail our trip, but the review will not be a better score. It will be an honest depiction of OUR experience because we went together.

This review is OUR experience. It was not great, and we will not be recommending people to visit in general but as a person of society who realizes everyone experiences something different - try it and see if it is right for you.

When we arrived, no one was at the front desk - we had to wait a bit. Once someone showed up, they gave us all the information we needed to know. Unfortunately we had not packed 'nice' clothes for eating dinner in the dining room. I am aware by staff now that it is available on the website, and they are right - read before you go anywhere. This was our mistake. None the less, we had the option to have dinner delivered (at no extra fee), to our room. This was a great option. Although we did not make ourselves 'informed buyers' 100%, I did not expect to HAVE to dress a certain way to be able to eat at the only restaurant I was aware of within a half hour. Since the package was all inclusive, this meant we were paying for our dinner so obviously we would not be heading out elsewhere. For everyone who reads this, you are now an informed buyer and know that a collared shirt and tie, plus dress pants for men is required. The staff gave us a tie, but unfortunately I had only brought a nice sweater vs a collared shirt.

At another time that evening we returned to the front desk and two staff were there. I asked them what they could recommend we do for the Saturday. They had the recommendations that were on the map we were give (visit art gallery, walk a trail...). I then asked if they knew what the weather would be like the next day (the Saturday). One of the girls said it would be 20+ and sunny. I could have sworn I had checked earlier and saw rain and under 20 so I was a bit confused. Readers, always check the weather for yourself. I re-checked once we were at our room and saw it would be cold and rainy. Obviously the staff made a mistake - this is fine.

We then went for a walk around the property to see what was available. Upon seeing the gym, we were very turned off. The room smelled musty and the equipment was very dated. My wife and I love to use the gym in general, but decided not to use it once we saw the equipment. I am sure some people will be satisfied as they could still do their work out - for us, appearance is important too.

The following day, we went to the front desk to confirm that using the bath salts in the room would cost money if we used them. My wife and I were a bit confused because when we checked in they stated that we would see signs in our room that coffee was $x and water was $x, but not to worry - they were included. For this reason we were unsure about the bath salts and bubbles for the Jacuzzi. When we arrived, one person was on the phone in the back room booking in an informing a client about their future stay. It took almost 10 minutes to get her help. She had seen us and quietly gestured an acknowledgement of our arrival, but since she seemed to be the only one there at the time. We were not in a rush, but it would have been nice to be dealt with sooner by another individual if one was busy on the phone.

We stayed in a Junior Suite. The room was large with a Jacuzzi tub and had a view of the lake. We also had a fireplace and wood was always available and easy to get (not far from our room). On a gross note, when my wife and I enjoyed the Jacuzzi, a dead fly visited us. We discovered it once the water started moving around. It is possible he landed after the room was cleaned and died a lonely death in our tub - but it did make us wonder how well the tubs get cleaned.

The resort is 'all inclusive' although lunch is not included. In the package we purchased (which I believe is available with every purchase), lunch was offered as two for one. Being aware of this before we went, we brought our own food to save some money. There is a small grocery store in town and hot chickens can be purchased - this might also be an option for you. If I remember correctly, there was also a pizza joint around the corner, but I am unsure if it was even open (it looked dead and vacated).

As it was made aware to us in a previous comment, the chef they have is a 5 star chef. For us, the food was not 5 star. It was not horrible, but we have had better 5+star dining. Readers, I cannot recommend a place for you to eat in Whitney as things are not close. Try the food - it might be to your taste preferences. In a comment previously left for us we were asked to provide you with our favourite place(s) to eat. For us we have had fabulous dining in Las Vegas and in Niagara/Niagara on the lake at 5 star restaurants. If you wish for names, please send a message.

After writing the first review we were also made aware that the chef could make accommodations to meals and often does for over 20% of guests. We were not told this when ordering food, but we did not need changes like changing carrots to broccoli - we needed better tasting and more flavourful food. We had our food delivered to the room, and while eating, found it ok. There was no reason to send it back - it just wasn't 5 star quality for us. My wife loves to eat scallops out at fancy restaurants - this was not available on the menu so I doubt the chef could have accommodated this request. If you would like to know the food we chose for our meal, please send a message. We can go into further details there about what we liked and what we did not.

On another note, my wife and I decided to stay in our room until around 1. We left the appropriate note to not disturb. There was a choice of more than 3 dings: do not disturb, please make up my room, do not make up room..and some more (I just can't remember). We returned by 3 and had left the appropriate door note "please make up room" . When we came back, house keeping was leaving and we heard them say they were all done except for the room on the end (our room), but whatever, they were done. Our room did not get cleaned nor did our bed get made. We were very disappointed at this. No, we did not mention it to the front desk as we wanted to stay in the room and not be bothered after this. I am sure if we had called, someone would have come - but I should not have to call. Our room should have been done and not ignored.

The weekend we chose, it ended up being cold and rainy on the Saturday (our only full day as we had to head home at checkout on sunday because Whitney is a far distance from us). In the morning we went for a short walk on a trail nearby and got a bit lost - the map and trails itself are a bit hard to follow - make sure you bring a cell phone as there is cell reception. After this it got colder and rained more so we stayed inside. Due to the weather in general, we feel we were not able to enjoy the amenities as much. Yes we are aware we live in Ontario and the weather is never guaranteed, but that does not mean I cannot complain about it (the weather). Please know, I only stated we felt it was hard to use what the resort has available (i.e.: bikes for a bike ride - we do not like to bike in the cold and rain). If you do, then go for it!

After this review of our experience, please remember that every other traveller has had a different experience and you might too. It could be bad and it could be pleasant or amazing. This was not the best weekend away that we have ever had in regards to service and place, but it was not the worst. Again, as a member of society, I am pointing this out - try it or not try it. I hope your stay and experience is better than ours.

8  Thank Mandy S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your review. It informs us for corrections and helps future travelers looking for input. I assure you we will continue to improve and work on things. My staff are always trying to get their satisfaction rates way above 99.5% and we will continue pushing using complex matrices to monitor. Also, last week I was away to suppliers to set in motion renovations to interior public areas in the cost of $75,000 dollars for this winter. Input is important for us and we use it to benefit future guests. One of the things that you and your bride may have helped us with, and for this I am very thankful, is for a new policy regarding dress code. What I now see is that there is almost a perfect match for a guest not bringing dress clothes matching almost on a 1 to 1 correlation that the same guest will then write a negative review on Trip Advisor. Then It makes sense not to allow those guests to stay at the Resort when they arrive, since there is a near 100% probability that they will write a negative review no matter what we do to try and please. By refusing these guests to check-in one would eliminate many future reviews that are negative and this would be a big benefit to the guests that love us, to the staff that depend on the guests and to the family that depends on all of the above. Thank you. JohnS-Owner

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Beautiful scenery, amazing room but incredibly rude staff cut our honeymoon @ Couples Resort short. :(
We were extremely disappointed. We were having a great trip (24 hrs) until we were humiliated. We had booked for 4 night's but left after two. We loved Algonquin Park & the entire area. The local people that we met off the resort were great. We will defiantly be returning to Algonquin but will never return to the Couple's Resort

10  Thank shuey13
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed the area so much. I wish we knew what went wrong so that we can make changes to make sure it never happens to anyone else. We pride ourselves in taking care of everyone; in order that they have the most relaxing, peaceful escape to spend quality time together. Our staff often have comment cards filled out by guests that recommend absolutely every staff they encounter as Top of Class. Hopefully we will find the staff that was so rude to you, and we will make changes.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Save your money. My husband and I stayed for 2 nights this past weekend. The weather was amazing, thankfully. We stayed in the Venus cabin. The decor is old and it shows. The dinner staff are all young and inexperienced. Our first night we asked for a glass of port after dinner. We got what seemed to be less than a 2 oz serving but we sipped on it and didn't say anything. The next night we asked for the same and we were told it was gone. We asked for the next selection to find out it was also gone. No suggestions on "would you like something else"? When you get the bill before you ask for it and before you are finished, it is quite annoying. The wine steward, John and Scott were not at all experienced. We found out Cayla was dating Scott. We had massages the morning we were leaving and they were terrible. The women who massaged me forgot that nails are not for massaging. Maybe cutting them would be a good idea before you massage someone. We were also told we had to be out of our room in 8 mins after our massage. The staff was just rude. We will not be back. After spending over $2k you would think a simple thank you would've been appropriate. I would not recommend this place. Also - fitness room was old and dirty. Eileen and Chris Tarrant

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank Eileen T
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your review. We are really glad you had a great time out in Algonquin with such beautiful weather and with the most incredible fall colours that are out everywhere. Sorry the cabin didn’t match you, but we have many others that would. Yes the cabin is an original cabin and we make sure the description on our website about that accommodation matches it by saying “lakefront and completely finished in dark cedar and are now with private hot tubs. Enjoy the Rustic Luxury of original Canadiana Cabins while indulging in the atmosphere of pure wood.“ Dark, wood and Rustic would indicate something you probably were not comfortable with. Otherwise the Furniture was all replaced new just a few years ago with the addition of a 50” plasma TV and a private Hot Tub on the Deck to help enjoy original Canadiana with some Luxury. Next time, I would suggest the Masters Juniors Suite if you wanted a flawless suite or the Chateau Cabin if you wanted Opulence in a Cabin format, both would have been far more luxurious and certainly not Rustic Luxury. The 2 Rustic Cabins we have are a huge draw for certain types of couples and often they are filled up well in advance as many love that original Canadiana style, especially with the real wood fireplace going, so we are sorry it was not to your liking.
I am sorry we were out of a couple favourite drinks for you so we will make sure we replenish. John and Scott as Wine Stewards, will always be helpful within their abilities. I have now removed the Wine Sommelier from our Resort and website.
The nails were horrible on you, but we did not find out what was terrible about your husband’s massage, with the 2nd Esthetician, as you said both Estheticians were terrible. I hope you were able to discuss the Spa with the Spa Manager to have a corrective measure. The Spa Manager would have inspected and corrected immediately. It is very rare indeed that Spa Staff need correcting, as they normally receive significant praise.
I am so thrilled that the Office gave you another hour to stay in your accommodation past the 11 o’clock check out time, so that you could enjoy your spa time to noon, it is unfortunate that you felt shafted and that we cut you short, when exactly the opposite happened.
Now that you have a better understanding of the Accommodations and Services we provide we look forward to your return. JohnS-Owner.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Have been there several times over the years and that latest visit will be our last. Service in the dining room was terrible, the food was good, quality of the jr. suites is what you would expect of a motel..wood panelled showers, tube t.v.s and peeling 80's wall paper. The Master Jr and villa's are much better but so very dated. Cleaning staff did a half hearted job on our room every day and my complaint about the service was essentially met with an "oh well". When I pay $600 a night, I have a legitimate expectation of a high level of service, especially given that their motto is "let us pamper you". I have also stayed at other high end resorts so I have a basis for comparison. This is NOT a 5 star resort and for the price point, you can get much better value elsewhere.

Room tip: Stay away from JR suites.
8  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had a lovely weekend at a lovely resort. The room was fabulous, food very nice and no complaints on the service. Compliments on the Blackened Cod! Never had better - delicious and perfectly cooked! Desserts were not as good as the cod, a bit less pastry under the peach strudel would have made it much better (just a suggestion).

Just a heads up - no need to "over answer" a negative comment - it is only meant as constructive feedback. Too much answer, is a bit alarming.

I did not fill out an employee feedback card, but compliments to Derek the waiter! he was exceptional both in the dining room and on the site! Also, one of the employees in the spa complimented the owners in a big way sharing that they really did care about their employees. Wonderful to hear in this day and age!

The property is lovely and the area is wonderful to visit - check out the Logging Museum just inside the East gate of the park! Your upgrades were well worth it! Congratulations on a wonderful resort!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks so kindly for such a wonderful review. We very much appreciate it. Our owner and employees all will be happy to hear your comments.
Although some may feel that our owner “over answers” sometimes, be sure that he is looking out for and trying to protect his staff and Resort.
We take all comments and feedback into consideration always.