This was our second trip to the resort. 7 years ago was the first time we experienced the resort. We arrived to be told that the RMT was sick so we could not have a massage by a registered therapist but they did give us a free massage with a non registered therapist which was very nice. This time around the prices had increased as expected over 7 years but the resort is outdated, the hot tub in our room had no head rests they were worn right off and the dining room decor is very outdated. The satellite channels were very limited and the free wi-fi was restriceted on a ton of regualr sites. We enjoyed our stay but I am not sure if this should be considered a "high end" resort. For the price of two nights, $1250, no lunch is included in your stay. Overall, the front desk staff were the only ones who were friendly, everyone else at the resort didn't smile and looked miserable.
The hiking trails in the park were fantastic and if you are looking to spend some time alone it is a good area, but we did notice a ton of resorts and cottages for a fraction of the price in the area as well as some restaurants that you can dine at. If you are looking to go fishing or anything like that you have to rent out the boats per half hour for $40.00.
It would have been nice if lunch was included in the price and the dress code for dinner is a bit ridiculous, men have to wear dress shirts and ties but the women can wear what they want. Our second night there an older lady came in with her blouse halfway undone to the point where everyone in the restaurant was looking because her bra was hanging out, a bit unacceptable and she was obnoxious to the point where the Server had to come over and ask if she was going to be ok.
Overall the resort is a nice place but very expensive for what you are offered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Whitney, Ontario, Canada