My wife and I stayed at Couples Resourt one night while we were on a motorcycle trip through the Algonquin Park
The resort is located just outside the East gate of the Park. We had a junior suite which was lake front with a large patio and comfortable chaises. The room was newly renovated and featured a big screen TV wood burining fireplace with all the wood you could burn, large two person spa next to the king size bed and large leather sofa at the foot board.
The bathroom had granite counter tops and good make up lighting. The shower had plenty of hot water.
While the resort is a bit older it is relative nice. There definitely could be some attention to the overall landscaping, weeding and plant material.
The location is very nice with a lot of property facing the lake. They have canoes, paddle boats bikes etc that are all free to the guests.
The price of the room included a 5 course dinner and breakfast the next morning.This was the first time I had put a tie on in Canada since we built our cottage in Gravenhurst 7 years ago but also brought a jacket for evening attire. It is definitely nice to dress up for dinner and hopefully they will keep their dress code and not have people with golf shirts etc.
While the style of the dining room (French Lodge) may be somewhat tired the chairs and atmosphere were quite comfortable.
The service was attentive and timely.
The first course seemed to be somewhat short on food as I had single piece of Buffalo tenderloin as an appetizer that was on 1.5 inches in diameter. Maybe a few other pieces could have been plated. The Cesar salad was good and served in a distinctive bowl.The crutons were
excellent. We both had the strip sirloin which was cooked perfectly rare and was a nice dinner portion of steak. There were a few tough parts in the meat but the taste more than made up for that.
The deserts we had were both excellent. My wife had the chocolate tower, just awesome and I had the tiramasui which was soft delicate and tasty. Overall I would give the dinner a 4.2 rating.
Its is a great value for the money.
For breakfast we both had the eggs Benedict which were some of the best I have ever had .
The Canadian bacon was wonderful.
The bottom line is this is probably one of the nicer places to stay if you are in that area and you will not be disappointed with your experience.
All of the staff we encountered was helpful, and friendly.
Definitely give it a try!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Whitney, Ontario, Canada