“A great place for a getaway!”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Couples Resourt one night while we were on a motorcycle trip through the Algonquin Park
The resort is located just outside the East gate of the Park. We had a junior suite which was lake front with a large patio and comfortable chaises. The room was newly renovated and featured a big screen TV wood burining fireplace with all the wood you could burn, large two person spa next to the king size bed and large leather sofa at the foot board.
The bathroom had granite counter tops and good make up lighting. The shower had plenty of hot water.
While the resort is a bit older it is relative nice. There definitely could be some attention to the overall landscaping, weeding and plant material.
The location is very nice with a lot of property facing the lake. They have canoes, paddle boats bikes etc that are all free to the guests.
The price of the room included a 5 course dinner and breakfast the next morning.This was the first time I had put a tie on in Canada since we built our cottage in Gravenhurst 7 years ago but also brought a jacket for evening attire. It is definitely nice to dress up for dinner and hopefully they will keep their dress code and not have people with golf shirts etc.
While the style of the dining room (French Lodge) may be somewhat tired the chairs and atmosphere were quite comfortable.
The service was attentive and timely.
The first course seemed to be somewhat short on food as I had single piece of Buffalo tenderloin as an appetizer that was on 1.5 inches in diameter. Maybe a few other pieces could have been plated. The Cesar salad was good and served in a distinctive bowl.The crutons were
excellent. We both had the strip sirloin which was cooked perfectly rare and was a nice dinner portion of steak. There were a few tough parts in the meat but the taste more than made up for that.
The deserts we had were both excellent. My wife had the chocolate tower, just awesome and I had the tiramasui which was soft delicate and tasty. Overall I would give the dinner a 4.2 rating.
Its is a great value for the money.
For breakfast we both had the eggs Benedict which were some of the best I have ever had .
The Canadian bacon was wonderful.
The bottom line is this is probably one of the nicer places to stay if you are in that area and you will not be disappointed with your experience.
All of the staff we encountered was helpful, and friendly.
Definitely give it a try!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lake front so there is probably not a bad room. The private Chalets are probably a...
1  Thank Norman S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

So glad you enjoyed your short stay with us. Algonquin is an amazing place to ride. The dinner and dress code that accompanies it are a part of what makes us special. So glad you appreciated it for what it is. Your first course is an amuse bouche which is just a bite to awaken the taste buds. And dinner ends with just the right amount of dessert. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have never written a review before, but I have to say this resort deserves one. My girlfriend and I truly love coming to this resort. If you’re into great food, outdoor activities, the spa, than you should definitely check this place out. We have stayed in many of the rooms they have to offer, such as India and a few of their junior suites. All rooms come with king size beds and a Jacuzzi. Really what else do you need! If you’re going to watch TV the entire time them you should go somewhere else. My girlfriend and I are in are mid 20’s and we found that the resort has a nice demographic mix.

1) The Food
First of all, the food is one of the main reasons why we keep coming back. The service is great, the “Derek’s” usually serve us and they are really good at what they do. Always go for lunch its 50% off you can’t go wrong! We have tried their steak, pasta, and chicken. And have never been disappointed once. For breakfast make sure to try their eggs benedict.

2) The Activities
We are active people, and we stayed in this resort in basically every season. In the winter make sure to do the skiing in Algonquin it’s free because the resort gives you a pass. Also if you’re not into skiing than there are a number of snow-shoe trails. We have also enjoyed the horse riding twice and we love it!
In the fall you can ride their bikes, and in the summer you can use the watersport equipment. Also for those that are not as active you can take a drive through Algonquin park, I guarantee you this time of year it would look amazing.

3) The Spa
The spa we went to once, and we are planning on going again at the end of the month. It’s a good experience and I would recommend it to anyone.
I hope this helps!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan C
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thanks so much for the review. We are delighted that you love the great outdoors of Algonquin as much as we do. Regardless, it is a great escape to all looking to reconnect with one another! We look forward to seeing you again this month. Be sure to book that free spa treatment in our Algonquin Spa in advance!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed in this resort from Oct. 2 to Oct. 3. My main goal was to see the Fall Colors and to take pictures. I booked this hotel before I found out some negative comments in its recent reviews. However, our experience was different. We found the dining room staff was good and helpful. The food was excellent. We had rack of lamb, medium rare, and it was perfectly done to request. It was better than many of the cruise ships we went before. The room is spacious and clean, though my wife felt the bedsheet smelt of something. My only negative comment was the inadequate signpost along the hiking track, as we could easily get lost on our way to the Look-out point. We actually never made it. Otherwise the stay, the room, the food, were all great.

2  Thank galeung
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was our second trip to the resort. 7 years ago was the first time we experienced the resort. We arrived to be told that the RMT was sick so we could not have a massage by a registered therapist but they did give us a free massage with a non registered therapist which was very nice. This time around the prices had increased as expected over 7 years but the resort is outdated, the hot tub in our room had no head rests they were worn right off and the dining room decor is very outdated. The satellite channels were very limited and the free wi-fi was restriceted on a ton of regualr sites. We enjoyed our stay but I am not sure if this should be considered a "high end" resort. For the price of two nights, $1250, no lunch is included in your stay. Overall, the front desk staff were the only ones who were friendly, everyone else at the resort didn't smile and looked miserable.
The hiking trails in the park were fantastic and if you are looking to spend some time alone it is a good area, but we did notice a ton of resorts and cottages for a fraction of the price in the area as well as some restaurants that you can dine at. If you are looking to go fishing or anything like that you have to rent out the boats per half hour for $40.00.
It would have been nice if lunch was included in the price and the dress code for dinner is a bit ridiculous, men have to wear dress shirts and ties but the women can wear what they want. Our second night there an older lady came in with her blouse halfway undone to the point where everyone in the restaurant was looking because her bra was hanging out, a bit unacceptable and she was obnoxious to the point where the Server had to come over and ask if she was going to be ok.
Overall the resort is a nice place but very expensive for what you are offered.

Room Tip: If you do stay here make sure you book a room with an outdoor hot tub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are glad that we could accommodate you with the massage and if all goes well we are expecting a 2nd RMT to join our ranks by the end of the month, just waiting for the approval from the RMT College. Sorry that you feel our resort is out dated but we prefer to leave the shiny gloss to the city, we still go out of our way to use natural wood both inside and outside of our accommodations. Are you aware that all the wood we use for the exterior of our building is locally cut and milled in our municipality and for the interior of our accommodation rooms from the local Eastern Ontario. As we are trying to be in balance with Algonquin Park you may understand how we wish to set our buildings in sync with the style of Algonquin. Sorry you felt our Dining room was outdated, as it has had a major renovation 2 years ago. We purposefully made it old European flair. Italian Chairs, Danish wool carpets, American Oak paneling and all finished off with German China and Silver plate silver wear. It all goes very well with our dress code. Men and Women have to follow the evening format of Semi-formal, but we allow a little discretion for women as we say also that they can dress in Cocktail Attire. We know that our dress code does not please some guests, but it was demanded by the majority of our guests, and possibly because of it we are busier this year.
Most of our Hot Tubs have no foam head rests so it makes sense that there was none on yours, it was not that it was there and worn off, but simply not designed that way, which is preferable to us.
We do have a 2 tier system for our wifi, with the paid wifi given full access, the free wifi is limited. Currently we are in the process of trying to get faster speeds to our resort in the middle of nowhere and we should have success by spring and then the plan is to offer free wifi to all at full access, we hope it will be sooner. Tv channels will be limited compared to the city as it is not a huge demand from our guests.
The reason we do not offer lunch for free in the package is that we want you to go out and explore Algonquin Park. If you wish to stay we offer it at a 2 for 1 price. Also we have heard time and time again that the 2 served meals, breakfast and dinner, are more than enough and guests are glad we do not include lunch.
Hope to see you again in another 7 years, or sooner. All the best.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Couples Resort.
I thought for a few days about whether or not to leave a review, and had decided against it when I received an email asking me to do so and providing the link to this page. The owner has made a point of mentioning that social media makes it easy for guests to be critical - it certainly does when you invite me to do so.

The room, a Junior Suite, was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The linens are top-notch - I've never had such a comfy bathrobe! It's fun having a Jacuzzi tub in the room and such comfortable chairs on the balcony. Absolutely no complaints there.

Dining - the staff are young, but pleasant, and do look to be trying their best. I found the dinner choices uneven. My husband had an exceptional soup and magnificent pasta. I had a wild boar appetizer that was tooth-numbingly cold. My main of a buckwheat crepe stuffed with risotto was bland, once I scraped off the overly acidic tomato sauce. The wine pours are definitely not 4 oz. Please provide the staff with a measuring cup.
I think it's lovely that the dinner staff suggest that guests order breakfast as room service. Quite luxurious. A real delight for me to have coffee on the balcony in the aforementioned deck chairs.

The resort is not in Algonquin Park. It is on a lake, part of which is in Algonquin.

Were I to be able to break my ratings down further, I would rate the food at a two and the room a four. I would say it is "good" overall - not quite "very good" The five stars are not Michelin, but it is a nice place to get away.

5  Thank LLKOttawa
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your review and enjoying the Jr Suites with no complaints about it.
We are very strong believers in that we offer great value for a Luxury Resort in Canada, from accommodations to sports to food, and certainly in the Atmosphere of Algonquin Park that is out our front windows.
We will always handle real problems with real solutions to over-satisfy the guest.
Why do we ask for your reviews is very simply because I like to be kept in the loop, just in case guests do not want to email me directly or want to email my assistant Darlene directly with suggestions to make the place a better place. Darlene is the lady you received the email request to review from. I read all reviews, which is unheard of in most companies you buy from. A guest can spend just under $200 here for a 1 night stay (most of the year in our Jr Suites) and have the ability to comment. I would ask you to think about all the companies you buy from where you spend about $200 dollars or more per purchase or per year: 1) does that Company send you and everyone who spends over $200 an email asking you to comment 2) that the Companies Owner will read it and keep it for possible future changes 3) if less than a stellar review, than personally comment back to the purchaser and initiate immediate changes if needed or if possible.
Why do I criticize the reviewer do you ask? I first ask that customers think about what their intent is in leaving a review. Often what I see is that the customer does not read our Resort website information and makes comments on what they chose not to be aware of. Most negative reviews like to criticize us because they themselves do not want to accept the blame of being lazy and ill-informed. Since they did not read our website, the reviewer is lazy and it is easier to say it is the Couples Resorts fault rather than to accept the fault in themselves. It may be that the Couples (Resort) does not do it that way to begin with. If one had time to look at all the reviews that are poor about us you will see a surprisingly high number of those comment on our dress code, in other words, because they were too lazy to look up info on our site and see we have a dress code (we tell them on confirmations and on the phone) they get angry at us for having this code which is what makes us Couples Resort. We see a strong correlation to not liking our dress code to almost everything else about their stay as unacceptable, and to me these people deserve to be criticized as they were lazy and they just didn’t want to take the blame themselves. I criticize those that leave comments that tell how rude our staff is, when in actuality, they review that are staff are Rude because we did not give in to their wants. We are very careful in handling real problems and over-satisfying these guests. These that comment; we are rude, often are those that do not want a solution to a problem, which often we can provide, they instead just want compensation/or a discount, and that is what they always come to the desk for. It goes something like this; “ we had this problem and we do not like it, so we want to pay less than all the other guests, sorry we are telling you now when you have no means of fixing it, but this is our strategy, we use it often at other businesses to get what we want and we always get discounts or free offers and this pleases us because the rest of the customers have to compensate for us…ha ha.” To us this is very similar to stealing from a store and the store has to mark up prices higher to compensate for these losses and all the honest people have to pay more. We at the Couples Resort work very hard to make sure these people do not get their way and drive up your prices. I am sure you have heard of many people ranting and complaining to get their way, even while they had to fabricate or highly exaggerate their stories, certainly I have and not even at this resort (business). Believe me I personally hope that these people would not even bother with our Resort, you know the line “a few bad apples spoil the lot” , as I (we) prefer to be nice to all guests. Guests that criticize our food have different tastes than other people and for us, as long as it is that most of our guests are happy (of which they are) about what we deliver than we feel no need to consider how an individual guest feels about how their food was, especially when the chef will fix it right away and even (the chef) is available in the afternoons to help accommodate before the meal.
We run a very small company in Canada, we compete against the Four Seasons and the Fairmont’s which are both owned by Saudi Princes with very deep pockets, we compete against large national hotel companies and I can assure you that our work is very hard. This is why we are transparent and you have access to myself the Owner, and that is what separates us from the other Luxury brands. When you comment on us make sure you tell us what we are doing well as we all need the recognition to keep us going, please be empathetic and compare us with other Luxury brands in Canada.
This is why you must write. Sincerely JohnS-Owner.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We decided to visit the Couples Resort for our mini-moon to unwind for a couple days after our wedding. Check in was a breeze but because we got held up with traffic, we were not able to have dinner in the dinning room. They informed us that the last seating was at 8:15. Because dinner is included, our only option was to have room service which was adequate. We stayed in India, in the Exotics. The room was very spacious with a small kitchenette and great size balcony. We went for a delicious breakfast in the morning and then to the spa for a couples massage. Unfortunately, we had a terrible experience here. I can respect if someone is not feeling well, so please cancel my treatment. Instead, my therapist kept doing the massage while stopping to wipe/blow her nose. At one point she left the room for about 5 minutes while my husbands therapist kept treating him. Eventually when my therapist came back in I had debated stopping my service but tried relaxing again. This did not happen. She was treating my neck, shoulders and face and still wiping her nose then continued to treat. I was disgusted by the lack of cleanliness. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and they assured me that the spa manager would be informed. They kindly removed the charge for the massages and made it well known that, that is not how their spa operates. Thank You Deborah for taking care of this for us. Our compliments to the chef! The food was delicious! Breakfast, lunch and dinner had a great variety and the daily specials were very enjoyable. It was nice to see familiar faces around the resort. The staff works very hard all day long. We took a hike up to the lookout. Gorgeous fall colours but not really a clear lookout. There could be some tree trimming to get a better view and better signage for the entire loop. I thought the book at the top of the lookout was a great idea. We had fun signing that and taking pictures. Upon our return late afternoon, our room had finally been cleaned. We were slightly disappointed when all they really did was make the bed and leave some new towels. There was still spillage from dinner before on the table that had not been cleaned up. Maybe they just do things differently! The last unfortunate thing that happened was a gift that was supposed to be left in our room. We were aware that there would be a surprise waiting for us in the room. There were mugs from the staff of the resort which was very thoughtful, but no surprise. We waited a couple days and nothing. I inquired with the front desk and they informed me that the communication got mixed up and it never made its way to our room. It really was to bad because we would have been able to use it on other services but we got it on our last night there, so it was to late. Upon check out, Deborah took very good care of us and told us that we should have had the benefits of the honeymoon package, but weren't informed upon arrival. She did credit our account for the lunch charge, which was supposed to be included originally in our package. We thoroughly enjoyed what the room had to offer. The steam shower was great, and hot tub was so nice under the stars. The bath sheets are the best. It was to bad that they didn't have them for sale. Overall, the Couples Resort is a very nice place to visit but we were not overly impressed and would not call it spectacular.

4  Thank rykmac
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the review. I am glad that Deborah and our front desk was helpful in taking care of the issues that you had while here. The Spa Manager will make sure this does not happen again. We all wish to assure you that problems like these are very rare here and we take great efforts in minimizing or eliminating them. I again apologize for what we missed that would have made your stay better.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Could not have picked a better northern resort for our second anniversary. Combination of perfect timing for fall colors in Algonquin park and Couples Resort. Our masters suite was fabulous and perfect for our anniversary retreat. Enjoying all the luxuries of wood burning fire place, jacuzzi tub made for 2. Small kitchenette with minifridge, microwave and sink. 2 wine glasses with opener for the evening either enjoying by the fire, or soaking in the outdoor hot tub located on your own private balcony over looking the lake. Even thou i agree with some the reviewers stating the service staff is on the younger side, they were very courteous and hospitable to us. The chef truly prepared excellent fine dining meals that i would rank very highly of, including the pork tenderloin and walleye fillet which was cooked perfectly. The only small complaint we have was not with our massages, or the spa personal, but with the noise that unfortunately took away from the normal relaxation and peacefulness of a spa experience. It seems the spa rooms are located within an older part of the resort that use to be small accomadation rooms on the second floor of the main building. Vacuum cleaners and banging could be heard from either cleaning staff and other guests located on the floor directly above. The games room does require a little TLC, and was not a great first impression within the resort as we had to kill some time awaiting for our room to be ready. This was our first visit to Couples Resort but it will not be our last.

Room Tip: choose a masters room on second floor. Large and full of luxury amenities.
1  Thank Magoo89Keswick_Ont

Thanks so much for the kind words. Your comments regarding the spa rooms and the game room are already in consideration for future improvements. As many of our return guests know, we are renovating and investing in your property every year. We do look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Nomi Resort
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!