My husband and I recently took a weekend escape - away from our home that includes 2 dogs, a crazy cat, a teenage boy (no need to explain that) and a whack of renos where things are still a work in-progress and things don't always work as they should....
We decided to try out The Couple's Resort based on a recommendation. We love the Algonquin area so the location of the resort was perfect. It took us over 3 hours to get to the resort so it was disappointing to discover that our room was not ready on time and was going to be an hour delayed. We made the best of things and used the change rooms to dress for an outdoor adventure. When we got back everything was ready for us which we appreciated.
I do have to concur with some of the other postings that things are starting to look very 'tired' in places at the resort - it just surprised me considering the resort has such a high rating. The hallway floors were also quite dirty and wall paper peeling in many places. Just observances...
We had a room with a hot tub which is a MUST as far as we are concerned. It was huge and extremely warm and we loved the view from the balcony.
The second issue we had though, after the delay in the check-in, was that our shower had a very bad leak, limiting the water pressure considerably and making showering a much longer process. Considering we used the shower a lot (before using the hot tub as per the resorts policy, after using the hot tub to rinse off the chemicals, after our runs in the park, getting ready for dinner....) this was a real let down...kind of like being at home...where thing aren't working as they should be which is exactly what we were trying to get away from for a weekend. We did report it right away but were told the problem couldn't be fixed because the part wasn't available. So we spent the weekend with a semi-functioning shower - *sigh*.
The meals, however, were INCREDIBLE! The service was fantastic. (Ashley looked after us - even remembered how my husband likes his martini!) We were very impressed that they took my food allergies into consideration. Speaking of allergies - they removed all things feather/down out of our room - again because of my allergies - very thoughtful!
Second night we decide to forgo the semi-working shower and use the jacuzzi tub in the room....which was great until we tried to drain it. The knob to open the drain was loose and could not be tightened without an allen key. The tub sat full of water all night long. Again...kind of like home...which, again, is what we were escaping from!
Overall the resort location was amazing (we also used the Park Pass), the meals were fantastic, our server in the dinner room was excellent, the bed, fireplace and hot tub were lovely but the weekend had a dark cloud hanging over it and was somewhat disappointing because of some really simple maintenance issues that should have been reviewed during that hour long delay before we could check into our room. Those are things we expect at home...not in a deluxe resort. Basic amenities like showers and drains should simply WORK. When we discussed these things at check out we were told that the room would probably be shut down for maintenance AFTER our departure - BEFORE would probably have been better. Bottom line - we spent $1000.00 for 2 nights to have to deal with basic problems that were completely avoidable before our arrival.... but we ate better food than I would have served at home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. Quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 48 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River,with Algonquin Park as our backyard. . We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking. Those of needing to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Whitney, Ontario, Canada