“Great resort but disappointing spa treatments”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The room was dated yet very comfortable. The in-room jacuzzi, fireplace and large TV were wonderful. And the bed was irresistibly comfortable. However, the decor was tired and needed updating, especially the bathroom. Food was fantastic and we enjoyed the games room after a big meal.

However, the spa treatments were disappointing. The aestheticians were pleasant but not really qualified to do a decent massage. The head-massage was a complete waste of money. 10 minutes on the head and 35 minutes of weak massage on shoulders and neck. On top of that, my hair and hair were slathered in oil. Head massages in spas elsewhere have not been like this and I would not have it again at Couples. Don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a better room, as your budget allows. We had a basic suite in an obviousl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laurie N
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed in the spa treatment. I am sure if you had noted that you would prefer more pressure the therapist would had gladly done so. The Jr Suites were just recently updated in May of 2012, I am sorry you did not like the way we decorated them. We have some Premium Jr Suites that have bathrooms in glass, if that is what you are looking for. Hope you will return again soon to enjoy all that great dining along with your quiet escape.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just got back from the Couples Resort. We were there for 2 nights 3 days. It was a great experience. We stayed in a junior deluxe suite. It had a lovely wood burning fireplace and Jacuzzi tub, balcony overlooking the frozen lake. The dinners were definitely 5star. They offered skating snowshoeing, cross country ski and beautiful hiking trails. Even though it was -27 outside we still partook in the activities. We also went dog sledding, which was great fun. This resort is beautiful in the winter , I think we might be going back in the summer months. We would definitely recommend this resort. It was really lovely.

Room Tip: Our room was very nice, but they also have cabins for two or deluxe ones for more than one couple. A...
1  Thank monkMississauga

I so so glad you enjoyed your stay. And yes, summer here in Algonquin is amazing! I would like to clarify that none of our rooms or cabins are for more than 2 people. All of our accommodations are for a single couple only. We look forward to seeing you in the summer.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife Rita was so kind to set up a wonderful night for a Valentine's day gift at the Resort. I would have gave a rating of 5 but the rooms are a little dated. That being said I am a sales worrier in Ontario so I stay in a lot of hotels. For the money and all the service and food you recieve this is a great deal. I just loved the real fire place in our room and big tub. After 22 years together with my wife you sometimes forget or get to BZ to connect and this place is all about reconnecting. Thank you to all that work at the resort and we look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: In winter months pick a room with a fire place and bring wine. Glasses and opener are in the room.
1  Thank Michael M

Wonderful to hear that you found the perfect place to chill out and connect. Thanks so much for the review and next time upgrade one level to the Premium Jr Suite or go all the way to the Masters Jr Suites, we are sure we can exceed your expectations. And great news! All rooms and cabins have a wood burning fireplace, king bed and in room Jacuzzi tub. We look forward to seeing you again for another Getaway!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This resort was recommended to us, my husband and I went there in April 2013. The drive is enchanting and usually sightings of wildlife. We always enjoy the nice drive up, chance to unwind while retreating further and futher from the city. Check in is quick, and efficient. You are never left with questions or not knowing the answer, the staff are very helpful. Dinner and breakfast are included with the room, it's your choice to dine in or have room service. I must admit the evening attire for me is a little tight. When we came in April it was great, but when we came back for NYE they had gone more formal with mandatory ties, which my husband finds uncomfortable. None the less every experence is worth it. We stay in the chalets which have amazing views of the lake. Our favourite is the hottub on the balcony and listening to the howling wolves while relaxing in the hot tub. There are lots of activities to do, I highly recommend indulging in the spa!

Room Tip: Chalets offer most private getaway!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie P

Thanks so much for the kind review. Great to hear that you had such a fantastic time and that you love the Algonquin Spa; as your next trip we provide a free 1 hour spa session. See you again soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We are a young couple and so saved for a long time to be able to go on this trip. As soon as we got there it was everything that we dreamed it would be! The first night we had an amazing dinner (thank you to our server Derek, he was great and very patient!) and loved dressing up. We very much enjoyed the Jacuzzi but suddenly my partner got very sick and by the next morning he was unable to get out of bed other than to throw up. We had to cancel all of our activities (which was done with no charge, for which I was very thankful) and I took care of him for the remainder of our stay. The weather was amazing outside and it was absolutely heartbreaking to have to miss it. I'm still pretty depressed over it, especially since it was such a beautiful place, unlike anywhere else I've ever stayed. Unfortunately I don't know if we will be able to afford to go again, not for at least a year.

The only thing I could say was wrong was only noticeable because my boyfriend was so sick. There wasn't a lot of medicine to be found - no Gravol or anything that would help him. I was sent by reception to the local pharmacy only to find that it was closed on weekends. The FreshMart had a few things but it would have been very helpful to have it available at the resort. Perhaps this is a very rare occurrence though, and I was extremely grateful to the reception team for their sympathy and assistance.

From what I saw the resort was amazing. Go to it!! I will be referring all of my coworkers and friends, who were waiting with excitement for how my trip went. Hopefully one day we will get to experience it for real!

Room Tip: Even the lowest level Junior Suite is awesome, so if that's all you can afford don't think y...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sooo sorry that your boyfriend was hit by a bug after waiting so long to get here. I hope you are able to make it up again sometime. So sweet of you to write the review.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I have been frequent visitors for many years and always chose the villas. Three or four years ago was our last as we found the furniture was very tired and uncomfortable. So much so that we asked that they provide a chair my wife could sit on. This year having read that renovations and improvements had been made, we decided to return. I made our reservation and a few days later phoned to book a dogsled run. I asked if the furniture had been replaced and was told yes. On Feb.11/14 we arrived to a major disappointment. The furniture had not been replaced. The furniture is worn out. This is not what you expect from a resort that claims to be five star. We checked out and returned home very disappointed. We had fun there in the past and will miss it. John L.

2  Thank 2014winter
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for your frequent visits and helping us stay alive in business. We are sorry with the Great Recession of 2008 and the continued challenges in our Canadian Tourism Industry that we are not as up to date as possible. Please know that as of next week the Villas all have new leather sofa furniture and new entertainment furniture with 50" LED TV's, some even have new interior facades. We trust you can visit us again with these upgrades. The Chateaus would also be in very good shape if you wanted a change, they just received in April, new deep tub Hot Tubs. Come and have fun again. JohnS-Owner.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I am not sure what the expectations are of those who come to this resort, but I can sure see that they are completely out in left field! This is my second visit with my husband, both times in the winter months to enjoy what Northern Canada has to offer and The Couples Resort knows how to deliver. I was concerned in booking a second visit after reading a few posts on this forum. I had hoped nothing had changed from our first visit. Now I know how to read between the lines....seeing that I use Trip advisor for much of our travel.

The drive up was breathtaking, check in was smooth and very helpful, as we were explained everything in detail so that we were familiar with the resorts offerings. The dinning attire is completely acceptable, as it feels so nice to put some EFFORT in to look your best for your loved one and have a spectacular meal. If cleaning up for dinner is an issue, perhaps this is not the place for you, or just order room service and stay in your robe! And looking under the table cloths in the dinning room to see what kind of table it is...and report on trip advisor that they were not wood specialty tables......who does that OMG??? Probably the same people that go through your medicine chest in your bathroom when they come to visit and then judge you. C'mon people??? I am glad that these "discerning" people won't return to ruin it for those who see this special place for what it truly is.

Our food was consistently exceptional, with a great variety for every taste, with additional delicious and inventive chefs' features every night. Food allergies and sensitivities are taken very seriously by the chef which should put those who are conscious of that, at ease as my husband has a deadly peanut allergy. We never had to worry as they constantly checked everything for him so that he didn't have to think about it. My pasta dish was so hot when it arrived, I could barely put it into my mouth for the first bite. Where else does that happen? The service was attentive without being over bearing and we loved that our server remembered us the second night and took such good care of our needs. Shout out to Ashley in the dinning room for taking her job seriously and making us feel so special. We brought our own wine, as we had some special bottles that deserved a special night to enjoy. A minor corkage fee is not unreasonable and is the norm in every 5 star restaurant that offers that service. Oh, cannot go without mentioning that in the morning....the Eggs Benedict was out of this world. Calories be damned....it's worth getting.

Our room in the Master Junior Suites (Vangoh) was spectacular and we never let our wood burning fireplace at the end of our bed, die out. My husband enjoyed using his Boy Scout skills! It was lovely after dinner to sit outside in our private hot tub, while a snow storm blew in with a specialty coffee. Can't do that in the big city!!! The resort was full to capacity, and we never heard anyone from our room. We often wondered if there were other people staying in the same place as we did?

We took advantage of horseback riding as it was a spectacular day. This was held off site about a 2 minute drive from the resort. We were alone with our guide, Jim, who took us through the snow covered pines, up and down the escarpment. It was just beautiful! The horses were lovely, very healthy and clearly well loved. Nice to see, in comparison to other places I have visited, where the horses barely had a personality, and just followed along. We felt safe the whole time, and learned a lot about the area. Another shout out to Jim, a true gentleman who let me ask him a million questions, and made us laugh as he guided us along. Couldn't have asked for a better person to join us! BTW, my husband had never been on a horse before, and never felt uneasy...even when he was introduced to his four legged, 1200 lb companion who's name was Rebel!! Go figure? What a gentle and patient beauty!!

We finished off our weekend with a couples massage (definitely needed after horseback riding) which was just amazing. I had a 1.5 hour registered massage and my hubby had a 1.5 hour Shiatsu treatment. Thank you Katie and Vern, for finding all those sore spots that we didn't even tell you about, and ironing them out! When we went back to our room, we had a steam shower, and then back in the hot tub! Not sure if we were coherent for dinner? Didn't matter....didn't care....

We will definitely return again and again. I travel for a living, working in the spa industry. I stay at some of the most beautiful resorts in North America including places in Sonoma, Florida, California and BC where they are known for being spectacular. My expectations are high, and they usually deliver. The Couples Resort is a favourite among them, for completely different reasons. You cannot easily create a place where you are made to feel special; where they know your name and your needs are met. Kudos to the owner and the staff, for creating that for us. We feasted....reconnected and rested. Priceless!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Nomi Resort
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!