Couples Resort
Mountain View Motel(Barry's Bay)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$132
  • Room Service
Pinewood Inn(Barry's Bay)
TripAdvisor
Little Hawk Resort & Marina(Algonquin Highlands)
  • Beachfront
All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and iwood burning fireplaceroom servicegames roomspa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubour honeymooncourse mealbear trailk cups
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our 4th visit to the resort in the past 15 years and it hasn't changed a bit, literally. We stayed in one of the premium chateau's, which are very well appointed and spacious (approx. 1400 sq ft) but the interior decor is really looking old and outdated. The same applies to the formal dining room in the main building. It's still a nice place to enjoy a romantic dinner but the wood panelling went out of style in the 80's. As for the 5-star service, it's also quite out of touch with the more modern practices (and technology) that you'll see in most restaurants today. The one major disappointment for us continues to be the lack of a bar/lounge area where you can sit and have a few drinks before/after dinner. After all of these years, we had hoped that the games room in the basement might be converted into something more practical but I suppose that ping pong and shuffle board continue to be major attractions for many couples - or not. Despite all of its shortcomings, the Couples Resort is still a very nice place to go in winter or summer but it has the potential to be so much better.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the higher cost, the chateau's are well worth the premium.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Haidasun
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My partner and I went to Couples in March 2013 for two nights and had an amazing time. We went hiking, spent a lot of time in the hottub, and had roaring fires in the room. The room was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. Dressing for dinner was fun, and having room service was awesome too. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we are going again later this month for five nights. I think the atmosphere, the food and the service are all worth the money!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leigh Ann K
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

OMG, thank you for coming back twice in the same month. It is so exciting that you have had such an excellent time with us. Keep exploring and keep having those amazing times.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was very surprised to see how many excellent reviews there were for the Couples Resort, as I thought it was just average. My wife and I stayed for a few days on our way to pick-up our son from camp in Northern Ontario. We stayed in one of the villas, which was quite comfortable and very nice. The space and the privacy were excellent. The unit was in very nice condition and the private balcony was quite nice. The dining was pretty good but not fantastic - they tried very hard to be attentive. The activities and amenities were just average.

Room Tip: Get one of the private villas.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anthony N
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in a spa villa for our anniversary. It was our second time at the resort and was even better than the first time! The staff are all very friendly and welcoming an the food is absolutely delicious. We loved getting dressed up for dinner. I'm not sure how people can say that they weren't aware of the dress code. It is mentioned at least 3 times when you book your stay. The price for a spa villa is totally reasonable considering all of the amenities and delicious food included. As a returning guest I was treated to a free spa treatment. I chose the body scrub and wrap and it was perfect. I was even given slippers and a body brush to take home with me! We enjoyed our time so much we even decided to stay an extra night. We will be back every year - thank you everyone who worked together to make our time there so special.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank brooks333

We are absolutely delighted that you are having such a wonderful time with us at our Couples Resort. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

It was a beautiful resort, and was given to me as a birthday gift from my boyfriend. We went in the winter time since my birthday was in December. Our room was amazing we had one of the chalet cottages. Large room awesome fireplace, awesome bed, great view of the lake. Downfall is there is nothing much to do in the winter. We booked horseback riding but got cancelled twice due slippery trails, which i totally understand. The lake you couldnt go ice skating on because it was frozen enough. You could go hiking in Algonquin park, but i didnt really feel like hiking in the snow. So we had booked messages, werent the best but ok. There is nothing around there if you did decide to go do something else if you couldnt do anything at the resort. So we just went back to our room and watched tv. Our room had a suana and hot tub which was amazing, we used it all. Watch though if you do want to have dinner reservations men need to wear dress pants and a tie. Thought that was kind of dumb because no one told us that so we ended up eating in our room everynight. The food was the best food i have ever eaten...wow amazing and delicious. I would recommend the food highly. Overall it was a nice place, not worth what we paid but i would recommend going in the Summer time, much more to do there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple