“Excellent getaway”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Peterborough, Canada
“Excellent getaway”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My Wife and I enjoyed the property very much. The Service was excellent, the Food was delicious and the privacy of the Chalet was perfect. We took advantage of the Park pass and went on a nice hike through Algonquin Park. When we return next year we will stay 3 nights so that we can truly enjoy the resort to its fullest. From two people who have worked in the Hospitality industry for years, I have a real hard time understanding how anyone could have any disappointments at this resort. Your there to relax and that is exactly what we did. Well Done John, you should be proud of your property!

Room Tip: The Chalet is perfect. Private, quiet and cozy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. So very glad the chalet was the perfect spot for you. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay here and all that we offer. The staff certainly enjoy reading that their service was excellent and without them we could not be a 5 Star Resort. Thanks JohnS

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

After staying for 2 nights it is understandable why there is such a mix of reviews.

Overall, we enjoyed the resort and being close to Algonquin Park for some hiking. But at the risk of attracting some wrath from John S, there's also much to be desired in terms of how guests are treated and what is offered. We had some (non-valuables) go missing from the room and no help from the staff. The food is adequate but certainly not "1st class / gourmet", though the dining room and servers were excellent. Breakfast, delivered to the room, was plain and seemed prepared well in advance. The Jacuzzi was a nice addition, but impossible to use since the jets discharged some bits of film or something into the tub. Kinda looked like dead skin. The mattress was very dated and uneven. The room itself was clean. We were surprised by some hidden fees. In the end we're glad we gave it try, but it's highly unlikely that we'll ever be back.

In summary: You would probably have a good time but there are much better places to go as a couple!

Room Tip: All suites face the water to the East.
2 Thank Nick S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review. Sorry that you think I would not like you, 99.9% of customers I speak with seem to enjoy good conversation with me. I admit I do have a habit of protecting the staff of the Resort from scammers or people that think they are better then us and our professions, and for these things I am not sorry. In my history running a Hospital and several Tourist Associations/Regions of Ontario, all as Chairman of the Boards, it has been very positive with people interactions and very positive for the organizations on bench-marks, I am still thanked to this day on my visionary thinking and ability to help so many people from the sick to the workers. I am a great listener and a great helper to many, and certainly all the changes to the Resort would not have occurred without listening to guests and staff alike. Sometimes my Team and I have to help people with issues that arise at the Resort and we are always given much appreciation for our service, yet these people do not have to write a review to thank us. Recently we had the customers decide on the dress code, and now it is semi-formal, even against my wishes, oh-well that is what happens when you listen. I am astonished that our staff didn't do everything possible to track down what you lost, I know personally how I and others have gone into rooms to double and even triple check to locate; sometimes we are lucky and find it or sometimes the guest later finds it in another pocket in their suitcase. I am not aware of us stealing anything from a guest, ever! And as an extra security we put safes in all accommodations for the valuables as demanded by our Grading Agency. You have seen how great the staff are because we value them, this great effort that is put into valuing the staff is critical to your high level of service. This is also how 99.9% of my customers see me; driven by values. Meals as always are cooked to order from our Kitchen Brigade, and we are sorry that the loss of your items made you feel like you had to slam the resort and hurt its workers. The cleaners operate at a minimum 99.7% rate of guest satisfaction and sorry but occasionally do forget to remove a cleaning rag or forget to add an amenity and thus it is not 100%, but not before; theft, as you want to declare. Sorry we won't have you as a guest again, but better find a place that is better suited to you where you can start fresh. JohnS-Owner
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

WE have been to the Couples Resort in all seasons and have enjoyed them all. We have found however that a three night stay provides us with enough time to unwind yet is not too much of a time requirement. We find the Junior Suites with their own hot tub to be an excellent choice. This is the first and only resort we have found that provides ensuite steam rooms. We have been bringing our own wine for dinner although their wine list is not exorbitantly expensive. The staff have been unfailingly helpful. Over New Years it was so cold the battery in our vehicle failed. A staff member tried to boost us and drove us over to a garage where I was able to buy another battery.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave2496
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Serious buzz killer. Our second visit and last. They changed their dress code and didn't tell us when booking or reserving for dinner. I am one of those women who don't own a dress and while they didn't tell me I couldn't be served in my designer slacks and heels, I did not feel any better when my spouse's collared shirt and sweater were deemed unacceptable. Have let a lot of things slide this visit, but this has just put me over the edge.
Last night their dining room was set up for a special on Cottage Life tv. Set menu 7:30 only and yes they will be shooting. No info about the menu either. When we ordered to the room- it arrived on their schedule 8 pm.
Things that should be warm were cold and warm food was cold. We had stomach issues today and suspect food safety issues.
On the dress code - stuffy, officious and disappointing. I wanted to leave immediately. My policy on feeling rejected and judged.
Be aware ladies - you are supposed to have a "cock tail" (sic) dress.
This issue will now be the story I tell about the Couples Resort. I have enough stress at work and life. I came here to get away .

• Stayed April 2014
8 Thank Lokiloki2014
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a long weekend getaway for my wife and I. The Junior Suite on the top floor was extremely well laid out with all the required amenities; king size bed, wood burning fireplace, fridge, coffee maker, large tv, double jacuzzi and a great view of the lake. The bed was extremely comfortable although I would have preferred pillows that were a little more firm.

Breakfast and dinner included in the very reasonable price were excellent and kudos to the kitchen for accommodating our requirements for vegan meals.
Service was excellent and we appreciated that no extra gratuities were provided apart from the 15% service charge that was added to the nightly rate.

We also appreciated the off season specials for massages. A 10 minute drive to Algonquin Park was a bonus for an afternoon of hiking and wildlife viewing.

Room Tip: The top floor Junior Suite was quiet, well equipped and perfect for our 3 night stay. There are more...
Orleans, Ontario
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was our third visit to Couples Resort (formerly Bear Trail Inn/Lodge) in the last two years. Because of the service at dinner we will not be going back. We booked a chalet for our second consecutive visit (Master Junior Suite the first visit). One of the services advertised on the web-site is 'Sommelier Service' for chalet guests. Not only did we not receive sommelier service, they do not even have a sommelier on staff. Their 'wine steward' was on his third shift.

I gave a list of complaints to the GM upon check-out and she just put it on a desk behind her and said she'd talk to the chef!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank GoldWing111752
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest, we are sorry we did not live up to your expectations on your 3rd visit with us. I assure you though that we take every matter seriously and do have those discussions with staff where needed. As you saw the second night we were far more attentive for you. We currently are using wine stewards at the Resort and this seems to meet the needs of all guests, we are sorry it did not meet your approval. One guest who just left us and had booked 2 chalets for several days was quite pleased in ordering a $1,400 bottle of wine from our Wine Spectator Awarded wine cellar and was very delighted with his service. I can guarantee you with a no tipping policy all guests are treated equal so I am sorry this disturbance has effected our relationship. When the Resort breaks even again, its been awhile since the Great Recession of 2008, I will have a Sommelier for you. Sincerely JohnS-Owner
Barrie
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I also am surprised how many positive reviews are here. I assume it must be city slickers.
The Website is VERY decieving. This location is not in the country it's off of a small town. Legally I don't know how this resort can claim to be 5 star. 700 and change a night for a luxury room with outdoor hot tub. There is no privacy and you can hear the entire conversation of people next door-- our neighbours were discussing divorce. No kitchenette for that price, and coffee and watwr are two dollars each after paying the outrageous price for dinner and breakfast. Only a microwave so forced to buy outrageously priced lunch. The whole place is outdated and one feels silly dressing up for dinner in such a lodge type restaurant. It reminded me of a legion wedding!! The pictures on the website make it look like a secluded little place in Algonquin park. ITS NOT. I'm surprised no one has contacted the Better Business Bureau for false advertising!

• Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Travelfuntim
So sorry you feel this way. I am not sure what the point of this review was. Not sure why you stayed. We do have a policy if you are not pleased with us by 9pm, ie we make you sick, then you can leave, no loss. I have about 1 guest in a 1,000 that should not be here, the policy is designed for people exactly like you. But thanks for taking the time to be heard. JohnS-Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Nomi Resort
Nomi Resort
#1 of 1 in Harcourt

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!