“Perfect getaway if weather is on your side!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect getaway if weather is on your side!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hmm, where do I start? I stayed over for 2 nights in the inclusive Junior Suite and I enjoyed it so much, I am definitely coming back in the summer––or when the weather is on our side! Unfortunately, it rained for 2 out of the 3 days, but we still tried to make the best of it. If the sun is out, definitely use that to your advantage!! Their website lists everything they have for you/what you can do. I don't want to list all, there's alot!

SERVICE:
Service was overall excellent. Front desk was very kind. If you have allergies, they make sure they'll cater to you. They will even call you to remind you/invite you for free breakfast or offer to deliver to your room. Service at dinner was exceptional as well. Overall, you can tell they will go beyond to try and assist you with anything.

ROOM/SLEEP:
Graciously spacious in the Junior Suite. Had a jacuzzi, fireplace (yay for marshmallows), own view accessible to the outside in the backyard. Their beds feel like heaven, I wanted to bring the mattress and pillows home. Best bed and sleep I've encountered in staying at many hotels/motels by far.

FOOD/DINNER:
Delicious! You have to make reservations for dinner, but atleast it's inclusive on each day stay. I remember reading reviews and some people complaining about how "old fashioned" it looks and that they have a strict dress code. Why the heck not, people?! I loved the restaurant setting, it adds on to the whole fanciness and regal atmosphere. When do we ever get to really dress up and enjoy good food? I really liked that they did that, I didn't see the problem. I very much prefer this and seeing others dress up too, than eat at a tacky restaurant (that I already do all the time at home.)

SCENERY/ALGONQUIN PARK:
Beautiful for the nature crazies like me. Yes, it is a bit of a drive to Algonquin, but that's expected and shouldn't be a problem if you have a car anyway. I'd suggest watching the sunsets, doing the trails, etc.

Overall again, it just sucked weather wasn't on our side, so I'd plan accordingly. Rain and cold stops you from not being able to do a lot besides the games room. I really wish it was beautiful weather all week long on the days we went (to accomplish the Algonquin Park trails too), but I'll be back!

1 Thank V L
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
So glad you had a perfect getaway in spite of Mother Nature. She is one thing we cannot control. If you want to know more about the pillows and toppers for the beds or mattresses feel free to call or email us. We will put you in contact with the right people. And thanks so much for sharing your photos with all of us. Not all are as fortunate as we are to be so close to beautiful Algonquin Park.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Vineland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We've just returned from trip number 3 to Couples Resort and this was even better than the last 2. It's our go to spot for our anniversary, and gives us a great chance to relax and unwind from the everyday issues of life. We stayed in an Utopian Chalet instead of our usual spa villa, and to be honest I wasn't sure which I preferred at first. The Chalet is smaller than the Villa and definitely darker inside due to less windows, but the hot tub on the deck won us over! Sitting in the bubbles while looking at the loons in the lake was priceless. We did have excellent weather during our stay, which was a big bonus as well. If there had been driving rain, or excessive wind, I'm not sure we would have been able to enjoy the hot tub as much, depending on the direction. There was also a red squirrel that came onto the deck to visit several times during our stay.
The meals were excellent, as always. We enjoyed choosing the features for our entree and appetizer each of our three nights, and were not disappointed. Some evenings were difficult as the menu options are equally as tempting, and even choosing between the features was challenging! Service with all the Dereks (and Derrick) as well as Alaura and the other ladies was impeccable and friendly. The ladies taking care of breakfast were wonderful as always as well-so inviting and quick to keep my husband's coffee filled. They were even concerned about my bread choice and an allergy I have possibly being as issue and advised appropriately-who does that?
We hiked the trails on property, the rail trail towards Barrys Bay-but not all 62 km of it, and some in Algonquin during our stay. The rail trail is rather weather dependent. Parts were close to impassable due to large amounts of water, but we managed to off road it a bit and enjoyed being beside the river. Snow still covered many of the Algonquin trails, but allowed for some interesting animal tracking, as well as ice covering the majority of the small lakes. It all gave for lovely photos. During our time in the area we saw 6 deer, many red squirrels, a brown snake sunning itself, a paw print as large as my palm (possibly wolf) and a bull moose grazing casually beside the road.
All in all a fantastic chance to enjoy the outdoors, relax and reconnect while someone else makes wonderful meals. Maybe we're not hard to please, but we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Utopian Chalets are more private and away from things (but not too far) with an obstructed lake...
2 Thank ccripps
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I am so happy that your getaway was as perfect as usual. Even more so with the hot tub.
It is always great to hear that our staff helped make your stay perfect. They appreciate all of the wonderful comments shared here with the Resort reviews. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My Wife and I enjoyed the property very much. The Service was excellent, the Food was delicious and the privacy of the Chalet was perfect. We took advantage of the Park pass and went on a nice hike through Algonquin Park. When we return next year we will stay 3 nights so that we can truly enjoy the resort to its fullest. From two people who have worked in the Hospitality industry for years, I have a real hard time understanding how anyone could have any disappointments at this resort. Your there to relax and that is exactly what we did. Well Done John, you should be proud of your property!

Room Tip: The Chalet is perfect. Private, quiet and cozy.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. So very glad the chalet was the perfect spot for you. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay here and all that we offer. The staff certainly enjoy reading that their service was excellent and without them we could not be a 5 Star Resort. Thanks JohnS
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

After staying for 2 nights it is understandable why there is such a mix of reviews.

Overall, we enjoyed the resort and being close to Algonquin Park for some hiking. But at the risk of attracting some wrath from John S, there's also much to be desired in terms of how guests are treated and what is offered. We had some (non-valuables) go missing from the room and no help from the staff. The food is adequate but certainly not "1st class / gourmet", though the dining room and servers were excellent. Breakfast, delivered to the room, was plain and seemed prepared well in advance. The Jacuzzi was a nice addition, but impossible to use since the jets discharged some bits of film or something into the tub. Kinda looked like dead skin. The mattress was very dated and uneven. The room itself was clean. We were surprised by some hidden fees. In the end we're glad we gave it try, but it's highly unlikely that we'll ever be back.

In summary: You would probably have a good time but there are much better places to go as a couple!

Room Tip: All suites face the water to the East.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nick S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review. Sorry that you think I would not like you, 99.9% of customers I speak with seem to enjoy good conversation with me. I admit I do have a habit of protecting the staff of the Resort from scammers or people that think they are better then us and our professions, and for these things I am not sorry. In my history running a Hospital and several Tourist Associations/Regions of Ontario, all as Chairman of the Boards, it has been very positive with people interactions and very positive for the organizations on bench-marks, I am still thanked to this day on my visionary thinking and ability to help so many people from the sick to the workers. I am a great listener and a great helper to many, and certainly all the changes to the Resort would not have occurred without listening to guests and staff alike. Sometimes my Team and I have to help people with issues that arise at the Resort and we are always given much appreciation for our service, yet these people do not have to write a review to thank us. Recently we had the customers decide on the dress code, and now it is semi-formal, even against my wishes, oh-well that is what happens when you listen. I am astonished that our staff didn't do everything possible to track down what you lost, I know personally how I and others have gone into rooms to double and even triple check to locate; sometimes we are lucky and find it or sometimes the guest later finds it in another pocket in their suitcase. I am not aware of us stealing anything from a guest, ever! And as an extra security we put safes in all accommodations for the valuables as demanded by our Grading Agency. You have seen how great the staff are because we value them, this great effort that is put into valuing the staff is critical to your high level of service. This is also how 99.9% of my customers see me; driven by values. Meals as always are cooked to order from our Kitchen Brigade, and we are sorry that the loss of your items made you feel like you had to slam the resort and hurt its workers. The cleaners operate at a minimum 99.7% rate of guest satisfaction and sorry but occasionally do forget to remove a cleaning rag or forget to add an amenity and thus it is not 100%, but not before; theft, as you want to declare. Sorry we won't have you as a guest again, but better find a place that is better suited to you where you can start fresh. JohnS-Owner
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

WE have been to the Couples Resort in all seasons and have enjoyed them all. We have found however that a three night stay provides us with enough time to unwind yet is not too much of a time requirement. We find the Junior Suites with their own hot tub to be an excellent choice. This is the first and only resort we have found that provides ensuite steam rooms. We have been bringing our own wine for dinner although their wine list is not exorbitantly expensive. The staff have been unfailingly helpful. Over New Years it was so cold the battery in our vehicle failed. A staff member tried to boost us and drove us over to a garage where I was able to buy another battery.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave2496
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Serious buzz killer. Our second visit and last. They changed their dress code and didn't tell us when booking or reserving for dinner. I am one of those women who don't own a dress and while they didn't tell me I couldn't be served in my designer slacks and heels, I did not feel any better when my spouse's collared shirt and sweater were deemed unacceptable. Have let a lot of things slide this visit, but this has just put me over the edge.
Last night their dining room was set up for a special on Cottage Life tv. Set menu 7:30 only and yes they will be shooting. No info about the menu either. When we ordered to the room- it arrived on their schedule 8 pm.
Things that should be warm were cold and warm food was cold. We had stomach issues today and suspect food safety issues.
On the dress code - stuffy, officious and disappointing. I wanted to leave immediately. My policy on feeling rejected and judged.
Be aware ladies - you are supposed to have a "cock tail" (sic) dress.
This issue will now be the story I tell about the Couples Resort. I have enough stress at work and life. I came here to get away .

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Lokiloki2014
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a long weekend getaway for my wife and I. The Junior Suite on the top floor was extremely well laid out with all the required amenities; king size bed, wood burning fireplace, fridge, coffee maker, large tv, double jacuzzi and a great view of the lake. The bed was extremely comfortable although I would have preferred pillows that were a little more firm.

Breakfast and dinner included in the very reasonable price were excellent and kudos to the kitchen for accommodating our requirements for vegan meals.
Service was excellent and we appreciated that no extra gratuities were provided apart from the 15% service charge that was added to the nightly rate.

We also appreciated the off season specials for massages. A 10 minute drive to Algonquin Park was a bonus for an afternoon of hiking and wildlife viewing.

Room Tip: The top floor Junior Suite was quiet, well equipped and perfect for our 3 night stay. There are more...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!