“Lack of entertainment when weather isn't ideal”
Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
“Lack of entertainment when weather isn't ideal”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Couples Resort, and overall it was a good experience. We have stayed there 3 other times, when weather was more comfortable.
Your staff starting with the Front Desk,your Spa employees,servers in restaurant, and housekeepers do a "great job", and show a pride of ownership in what they do which makes them stand out in comparison to other places I have visited.
We stayed in Junior Suite for two nights room was clean, and stocked with all essentials we needed(i.e. towels ,soap, etc.) The dining room staff, the food, and ambience made our dining experience wonderful. My wife received a spa treatment which exceeded her expectations, and she was quite pleased.
The only negative was indoor activities , and exercise facility was "dated" , an indoor pool would actually be great, considering the weather up there is not always ideal.

I am active, and if outside weather prevents from being outside, have indoor options of current equipment, and activities would fill the day. I realize it's a couples resort, but you can only stay in the room so much. It was an enjoyable stay, but felt trapped in our room because of lack of indoor activities.

Room Tip: It is quiet if fridge, and heater or AC isn't on.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review, we greatly appreciate your multiple visits and your positive view of us. The Staff love the recognition as they do work hard at providing that care to you. We are glad you enjoyed the large double Jacuzzi and Wood Burning Fireplace in your room as well as the new 50" TV. I am sorry that we have no plans for an indoor pool in this economic environment. I have added 3 new deep Hot Tubs to the Chateaus, endless priorities of maintenance for sure. We do have the Outdoor Salt Water Pool open now at 32'C or 90'F and perhaps next year you can come after the May Long Weekend to use it, just in-case the weather is bad. Thanks for staying with us - JohnS Owner.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The resort is a terrific geteway for couples. That said, it is presented as a 5-star resort and having traving extensively and visited a number of 5 start resorts, this propoerty would be more accurately represented as a 4-star. The dining experience was first rate, no question. The rooms were nice, but not compareable to true 5-start resorts. Our disappointment occurred when we booked a 1-hour couples massage only to be called in our room 1 hour before and told that one of the message therapists was sick and as such could only offer 1 massage. While I understand these things can happen, they don't happen at 5-star resorts. The solutions fo this unconvenience was to offer free massages for our next visit. I understand that this is a benefit to the resort, but for a couple with 3-kids that manages to get away infrequently, this was not a solution/benefit for us. As a business owner myself, I understand the value of customer service and the importance of taking difficult situations and making it right for the customer. An offer of an upgrade for the second night or no cost for one of our 2 evenings would have motivated me (us) to return. All in all a nice property but the attitude of the staff and the inability to meet the expectations of it's guests results in us questioning whether we would return particularly at a cost of approximately $300/night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark Amy P
Congratulations on your Anniversary, what a great accomplishment. Thank you for your visit and your review, We are sorry that we could not make you 100% happy on your Anniversary, as that is always sad for us to fail. I have recently stayed in the USA and have experienced 4 Star hotels that charge as much as us with only breakfast in the price and a very boring room, we are glad our prices are very low and that we include a first rate dinner. 5 Star Hotels in Ontario normally start at $500, dinner extra. Remember that the price of a first rate dinner can alone be $300 for 2, so we are glad you found it first rate, and please do not forget servers in the USA make on average $3.00 per hour as the minimum wage, here in Ontario we pay close to 4 times more. I too have stayed in 5 Star resorts and those I have stayed in none have a double jacuzzi in the room, a real wood burning fireplace, a 50" Tv or a private deck with fully cushioned chaise lounge chairs such as ours have. I have even stayed in 5 Star Hotels that only look out onto the streets with no balcony attached, and I do prefer ours that have private walkout decks where you can hear and see the waves of the lake. Sorry that we do not offer free upgrades or discounts to one's stay for changes in the Spa as in our Spa Policy on the website under the Spa link. I should make you understand that we are not near an abundance of staff here in the wilderness, and that we have to employee people that sometimes may have a personal health issue and a spa day for that individual must be cancelled. This cancellation from our experience is a very rare occurrence but none the less happens and we are always very sorry for it. Our policy is that; please be prepared that your spa treatment may be cancelled for unseen circumstances such as illness and no compensation will be given and still we will try our hardest to access the other available spa persons so there is no cancellation. This policy is the only way we can offer 40% Off and 50% Off of Spa Treatments for your benefit and to the benefit of so many who love these low prices. Please note that now in the hospitality industry that it is now customary and expected for customers to frequently ask for discounts, free upgrades and free nights as they think it is a game and we have deep pockets like a big National Brand, for any small issue real or fabricated and we have calculated that if we obliged all of these requests we would be bankrupt in 6 months. So we do not participate in the game to the loss of some customers so that we can stay in business for the customers who truly enjoy our offering. It is very good of our staff to offer you a future spa treatment, and we do hope we will see you again so that you can use it, we plan to be here for many more decades yet. JohnS, Owner
T.o.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at the Couples Resort for a couple of nights. The Resort designates itself as 5 star and with high end food. The resort is adults only and is a 5 minute drive from the east gate entrance to Algonquin Park.
The property is newer with multiple buildings and cottages depending on your $$. Guests receive breakfast and dinner with their stay. Tipping is not allowed as it automatically charged to your bill when you check out.

My Room had a Jacuzzi, fireplace and a king bed. Unfortunately the mattress was uneven and needs to be replaced and resulted in a poor night's sleep.
While I think the resort is decently maintained and the food is fair, I would not say it qualifies as 5 star. 3 star is what I would rate it. In my opinion, the rates charged per night are on the pricey end for what you get and you get charged the tip on your bill whether you think the service was good or not.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bk19
Thank you for your review, we are glad you could stay with us when we were offering 70% Off as this is the low season. At $76 per person per night you were certainly paying 1 star prices for a 5 Star Resort. My wife and I recently stayed in a Motel 8 with a free breakfast and went out to dinner at a modest dinner place where there were no table clothes, no crystal glassware and no silverware and certainly no Exquisite Gourmet Menu or Wine Spectator Wine Cellar and paid the same $200 for the whole experience of stay and food as you paid with us. I did not begrudge them that they had no Jacuzzi or Wood burning fireplace or 50"TV in the room or that there was no private deck with 2 padded chaise lounge chairs for my personal use overlooking the lake shore and that I had a double bed and not a King bed. I would have preferred our Euro Top King bed with the feather Topper on it, too bad if you didn't like the feather topper you didn't take it off as some of our guests do, but most of our guests loved to be cocooned by it. The Feather topper is just below the mattress pad and above the new mattresses, so please feel free to remove for your sleep or ask us to remove it for you. All guests who are uncomfortable have the right to call us 24 hours a day to rectify, too bad you didn't as this is your responsibility as a guest. My 1 Star did not offer me breakfast in bed with Eggs Benedict or a variety of tasty dishes, have you ever had breakfast at a Motel 8. I can tell by the tone of your review that you were looking for a free night or a discount for your sleep of which we would not accommodate. Typically everything than is poor or fair because we would not give in. Sorry but we have principals too. JohnS, Owner.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hmm, where do I start? I stayed over for 2 nights in the inclusive Junior Suite and I enjoyed it so much, I am definitely coming back in the summer––or when the weather is on our side! Unfortunately, it rained for 2 out of the 3 days, but we still tried to make the best of it. If the sun is out, definitely use that to your advantage!! Their website lists everything they have for you/what you can do. I don't want to list all, there's alot!

SERVICE:
Service was overall excellent. Front desk was very kind. If you have allergies, they make sure they'll cater to you. They will even call you to remind you/invite you for free breakfast or offer to deliver to your room. Service at dinner was exceptional as well. Overall, you can tell they will go beyond to try and assist you with anything.

ROOM/SLEEP:
Graciously spacious in the Junior Suite. Had a jacuzzi, fireplace (yay for marshmallows), own view accessible to the outside in the backyard. Their beds feel like heaven, I wanted to bring the mattress and pillows home. Best bed and sleep I've encountered in staying at many hotels/motels by far.

FOOD/DINNER:
Delicious! You have to make reservations for dinner, but atleast it's inclusive on each day stay. I remember reading reviews and some people complaining about how "old fashioned" it looks and that they have a strict dress code. Why the heck not, people?! I loved the restaurant setting, it adds on to the whole fanciness and regal atmosphere. When do we ever get to really dress up and enjoy good food? I really liked that they did that, I didn't see the problem. I very much prefer this and seeing others dress up too, than eat at a tacky restaurant (that I already do all the time at home.)

SCENERY/ALGONQUIN PARK:
Beautiful for the nature crazies like me. Yes, it is a bit of a drive to Algonquin, but that's expected and shouldn't be a problem if you have a car anyway. I'd suggest watching the sunsets, doing the trails, etc.

Overall again, it just sucked weather wasn't on our side, so I'd plan accordingly. Rain and cold stops you from not being able to do a lot besides the games room. I really wish it was beautiful weather all week long on the days we went (to accomplish the Algonquin Park trails too), but I'll be back!

1 Thank V L
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
So glad you had a perfect getaway in spite of Mother Nature. She is one thing we cannot control. If you want to know more about the pillows and toppers for the beds or mattresses feel free to call or email us. We will put you in contact with the right people. And thanks so much for sharing your photos with all of us. Not all are as fortunate as we are to be so close to beautiful Algonquin Park.
Vineland, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We've just returned from trip number 3 to Couples Resort and this was even better than the last 2. It's our go to spot for our anniversary, and gives us a great chance to relax and unwind from the everyday issues of life. We stayed in an Utopian Chalet instead of our usual spa villa, and to be honest I wasn't sure which I preferred at first. The Chalet is smaller than the Villa and definitely darker inside due to less windows, but the hot tub on the deck won us over! Sitting in the bubbles while looking at the loons in the lake was priceless. We did have excellent weather during our stay, which was a big bonus as well. If there had been driving rain, or excessive wind, I'm not sure we would have been able to enjoy the hot tub as much, depending on the direction. There was also a red squirrel that came onto the deck to visit several times during our stay.
The meals were excellent, as always. We enjoyed choosing the features for our entree and appetizer each of our three nights, and were not disappointed. Some evenings were difficult as the menu options are equally as tempting, and even choosing between the features was challenging! Service with all the Dereks (and Derrick) as well as Alaura and the other ladies was impeccable and friendly. The ladies taking care of breakfast were wonderful as always as well-so inviting and quick to keep my husband's coffee filled. They were even concerned about my bread choice and an allergy I have possibly being as issue and advised appropriately-who does that?
We hiked the trails on property, the rail trail towards Barrys Bay-but not all 62 km of it, and some in Algonquin during our stay. The rail trail is rather weather dependent. Parts were close to impassable due to large amounts of water, but we managed to off road it a bit and enjoyed being beside the river. Snow still covered many of the Algonquin trails, but allowed for some interesting animal tracking, as well as ice covering the majority of the small lakes. It all gave for lovely photos. During our time in the area we saw 6 deer, many red squirrels, a brown snake sunning itself, a paw print as large as my palm (possibly wolf) and a bull moose grazing casually beside the road.
All in all a fantastic chance to enjoy the outdoors, relax and reconnect while someone else makes wonderful meals. Maybe we're not hard to please, but we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Utopian Chalets are more private and away from things (but not too far) with an obstructed lake...
2 Thank ccripps
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I am so happy that your getaway was as perfect as usual. Even more so with the hot tub.
It is always great to hear that our staff helped make your stay perfect. They appreciate all of the wonderful comments shared here with the Resort reviews. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My Wife and I enjoyed the property very much. The Service was excellent, the Food was delicious and the privacy of the Chalet was perfect. We took advantage of the Park pass and went on a nice hike through Algonquin Park. When we return next year we will stay 3 nights so that we can truly enjoy the resort to its fullest. From two people who have worked in the Hospitality industry for years, I have a real hard time understanding how anyone could have any disappointments at this resort. Your there to relax and that is exactly what we did. Well Done John, you should be proud of your property!

Room Tip: The Chalet is perfect. Private, quiet and cozy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. So very glad the chalet was the perfect spot for you. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay here and all that we offer. The staff certainly enjoy reading that their service was excellent and without them we could not be a 5 Star Resort. Thanks JohnS
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

After staying for 2 nights it is understandable why there is such a mix of reviews.

Overall, we enjoyed the resort and being close to Algonquin Park for some hiking. But at the risk of attracting some wrath from John S, there's also much to be desired in terms of how guests are treated and what is offered. We had some (non-valuables) go missing from the room and no help from the staff. The food is adequate but certainly not "1st class / gourmet", though the dining room and servers were excellent. Breakfast, delivered to the room, was plain and seemed prepared well in advance. The Jacuzzi was a nice addition, but impossible to use since the jets discharged some bits of film or something into the tub. Kinda looked like dead skin. The mattress was very dated and uneven. The room itself was clean. We were surprised by some hidden fees. In the end we're glad we gave it try, but it's highly unlikely that we'll ever be back.

In summary: You would probably have a good time but there are much better places to go as a couple!

Room Tip: All suites face the water to the East.
2 Thank Nick S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review. Sorry that you think I would not like you, 99.9% of customers I speak with seem to enjoy good conversation with me. I admit I do have a habit of protecting the staff of the Resort from scammers or people that think they are better then us and our professions, and for these things I am not sorry. In my history running a Hospital and several Tourist Associations/Regions of Ontario, all as Chairman of the Boards, it has been very positive with people interactions and very positive for the organizations on bench-marks, I am still thanked to this day on my visionary thinking and ability to help so many people from the sick to the workers. I am a great listener and a great helper to many, and certainly all the changes to the Resort would not have occurred without listening to guests and staff alike. Sometimes my Team and I have to help people with issues that arise at the Resort and we are always given much appreciation for our service, yet these people do not have to write a review to thank us. Recently we had the customers decide on the dress code, and now it is semi-formal, even against my wishes, oh-well that is what happens when you listen. I am astonished that our staff didn't do everything possible to track down what you lost, I know personally how I and others have gone into rooms to double and even triple check to locate; sometimes we are lucky and find it or sometimes the guest later finds it in another pocket in their suitcase. I am not aware of us stealing anything from a guest, ever! And as an extra security we put safes in all accommodations for the valuables as demanded by our Grading Agency. You have seen how great the staff are because we value them, this great effort that is put into valuing the staff is critical to your high level of service. This is also how 99.9% of my customers see me; driven by values. Meals as always are cooked to order from our Kitchen Brigade, and we are sorry that the loss of your items made you feel like you had to slam the resort and hurt its workers. The cleaners operate at a minimum 99.7% rate of guest satisfaction and sorry but occasionally do forget to remove a cleaning rag or forget to add an amenity and thus it is not 100%, but not before; theft, as you want to declare. Sorry we won't have you as a guest again, but better find a place that is better suited to you where you can start fresh. JohnS-Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Nomi Resort
Nomi Resort
#1 of 1 in Harcourt

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!