“You and Me”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Really had a nice relaxing getaway. Have being wanting to try it for some time as my sister-in-law raves about Couples Resort and has visited many times. This year my husband and I were celebrating our 22nd Anniversary and booked a Villa. We are planning on returning in October or November we had such a good experience. Checked out the Masters suite and are planning on staying in one of those rooms next visit as it has everything we require. Food was scrumptious and room service punctual. We had lots of privacy and quiet time. The only thing that I found disappointing was that in the dining room they didn't adorn the tables with real flowers in the vases but the service and food were excellent.

1  Thank mamdove M
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

So very glad that your sister talked you into trying The Couples Resort. I am thrilled that your Anniversary was made even more special with such a good experience. It is awesome that you had the chance to see the other room styles and choose the Master for your fall stay. You will love the hot tub on the cool nights

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Beginning with a hassle free check in, relaxed atmosphere..all of the time, warm and welcoming accommodations, friendly staff. My husband and I spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon. We were in a Masters' Suite, with a private hot tub on the deck. We fell in love with having a hot tub that's for sure! The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in too :) The peace of the surroundings is the cherry on top! We've booked our return trip and can't wait!!!

Room Tip: The Juniors' Suites do not have private hot tubs!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

So glad that all was to your liking. The Master's are certainly the most luxurious rooms in Canada so we are glad you could spend your Honeymoon in them, Congratulations! Be sure to call in advance of your next arrival to book your free spa treatment. All accommodations have in-room double Jacuzzi, but the Hot Tubs are special on the Master's, Exotics, Chateaus and Chalets and they certainly can become something that is a must have for every stay. So glad you like it.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Recently returned from couples resort and had a truly amazing time! I have been wanting to stay at the resort for some time now and finally went with my boyfriend. No disappointment here...well above our expectations. Perfect get away for couples who want to reconnect, get intimate and have a truly romantic experience.
We were also pleasantly surprised to have stayed in Chateau Lyra....totally mesmerized when we first walked in. We enjoyed all the amenities from the hot tub on the deck...under the stars at night...and the bathroom was like a little spa with the steam shower and sauna....sooo relaxing. The Jacuzzi next to the comfortable king size bed with the 2 sided fireplace...as could be viewed from the bedroom or living room.....and not an electric fireplace...but a roaring fire with a pleasant aroma throughout.
All the staff that we encountered during our stay were so professional and attentive and just couldn't do enough for you. We definately felt pampered during our entire stay. Unfortanately we did not take in their spa services , yet we plan on it the next time we go....will definately return...such wonderful memories. We thank you all for making our stay so wonderful !
Any complaints or negative reviews.....I would have to say that they are people who are only looking for faults(as there are none) and probably came to the resort with the wrong partner....!!!!

1  Thank Leila P
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thanks so much for your review. We are thrilled that you had a truly romantic stay... even without the spa. Remember, as a return guest you will get one free one hour spa treatment. The Chateaus all have the New deep tub Hot Tubs since this April so we are glad they are working well for star gazing. We all had a good chuckle on your last line, but we do hope all find loving partners. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Couples Resort, and overall it was a good experience. We have stayed there 3 other times, when weather was more comfortable.
Your staff starting with the Front Desk,your Spa employees,servers in restaurant, and housekeepers do a "great job", and show a pride of ownership in what they do which makes them stand out in comparison to other places I have visited.
We stayed in Junior Suite for two nights room was clean, and stocked with all essentials we needed(i.e. towels ,soap, etc.) The dining room staff, the food, and ambience made our dining experience wonderful. My wife received a spa treatment which exceeded her expectations, and she was quite pleased.
The only negative was indoor activities , and exercise facility was "dated" , an indoor pool would actually be great, considering the weather up there is not always ideal.

I am active, and if outside weather prevents from being outside, have indoor options of current equipment, and activities would fill the day. I realize it's a couples resort, but you can only stay in the room so much. It was an enjoyable stay, but felt trapped in our room because of lack of indoor activities.

Room Tip: It is quiet if fridge, and heater or AC isn't on.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we greatly appreciate your multiple visits and your positive view of us. The Staff love the recognition as they do work hard at providing that care to you. We are glad you enjoyed the large double Jacuzzi and Wood Burning Fireplace in your room as well as the new 50" TV. I am sorry that we have no plans for an indoor pool in this economic environment. I have added 3 new deep Hot Tubs to the Chateaus, endless priorities of maintenance for sure. We do have the Outdoor Salt Water Pool open now at 32'C or 90'F and perhaps next year you can come after the May Long Weekend to use it, just in-case the weather is bad. Thanks for staying with us - JohnS Owner.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The resort is a terrific geteway for couples. That said, it is presented as a 5-star resort and having traving extensively and visited a number of 5 start resorts, this propoerty would be more accurately represented as a 4-star. The dining experience was first rate, no question. The rooms were nice, but not compareable to true 5-start resorts. Our disappointment occurred when we booked a 1-hour couples massage only to be called in our room 1 hour before and told that one of the message therapists was sick and as such could only offer 1 massage. While I understand these things can happen, they don't happen at 5-star resorts. The solutions fo this unconvenience was to offer free massages for our next visit. I understand that this is a benefit to the resort, but for a couple with 3-kids that manages to get away infrequently, this was not a solution/benefit for us. As a business owner myself, I understand the value of customer service and the importance of taking difficult situations and making it right for the customer. An offer of an upgrade for the second night or no cost for one of our 2 evenings would have motivated me (us) to return. All in all a nice property but the attitude of the staff and the inability to meet the expectations of it's guests results in us questioning whether we would return particularly at a cost of approximately $300/night.

2  Thank Mark Amy P

Congratulations on your Anniversary, what a great accomplishment. Thank you for your visit and your review, We are sorry that we could not make you 100% happy on your Anniversary, as that is always sad for us to fail. I have recently stayed in the USA and have experienced 4 Star hotels that charge as much as us with only breakfast in the price and a very boring room, we are glad our prices are very low and that we include a first rate dinner. 5 Star Hotels in Ontario normally start at $500, dinner extra. Remember that the price of a first rate dinner can alone be $300 for 2, so we are glad you found it first rate, and please do not forget servers in the USA make on average $3.00 per hour as the minimum wage, here in Ontario we pay close to 4 times more. I too have stayed in 5 Star resorts and those I have stayed in none have a double jacuzzi in the room, a real wood burning fireplace, a 50" Tv or a private deck with fully cushioned chaise lounge chairs such as ours have. I have even stayed in 5 Star Hotels that only look out onto the streets with no balcony attached, and I do prefer ours that have private walkout decks where you can hear and see the waves of the lake. Sorry that we do not offer free upgrades or discounts to one's stay for changes in the Spa as in our Spa Policy on the website under the Spa link. I should make you understand that we are not near an abundance of staff here in the wilderness, and that we have to employee people that sometimes may have a personal health issue and a spa day for that individual must be cancelled. This cancellation from our experience is a very rare occurrence but none the less happens and we are always very sorry for it. Our policy is that; please be prepared that your spa treatment may be cancelled for unseen circumstances such as illness and no compensation will be given and still we will try our hardest to access the other available spa persons so there is no cancellation. This policy is the only way we can offer 40% Off and 50% Off of Spa Treatments for your benefit and to the benefit of so many who love these low prices. Please note that now in the hospitality industry that it is now customary and expected for customers to frequently ask for discounts, free upgrades and free nights as they think it is a game and we have deep pockets like a big National Brand, for any small issue real or fabricated and we have calculated that if we obliged all of these requests we would be bankrupt in 6 months. So we do not participate in the game to the loss of some customers so that we can stay in business for the customers who truly enjoy our offering. It is very good of our staff to offer you a future spa treatment, and we do hope we will see you again so that you can use it, we plan to be here for many more decades yet. JohnS, Owner

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at the Couples Resort for a couple of nights. The Resort designates itself as 5 star and with high end food. The resort is adults only and is a 5 minute drive from the east gate entrance to Algonquin Park.
The property is newer with multiple buildings and cottages depending on your $$. Guests receive breakfast and dinner with their stay. Tipping is not allowed as it automatically charged to your bill when you check out.

My Room had a Jacuzzi, fireplace and a king bed. Unfortunately the mattress was uneven and needs to be replaced and resulted in a poor night's sleep.
While I think the resort is decently maintained and the food is fair, I would not say it qualifies as 5 star. 3 star is what I would rate it. In my opinion, the rates charged per night are on the pricey end for what you get and you get charged the tip on your bill whether you think the service was good or not.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bk19

Thank you for your review, we are glad you could stay with us when we were offering 70% Off as this is the low season. At $76 per person per night you were certainly paying 1 star prices for a 5 Star Resort. My wife and I recently stayed in a Motel 8 with a free breakfast and went out to dinner at a modest dinner place where there were no table clothes, no crystal glassware and no silverware and certainly no Exquisite Gourmet Menu or Wine Spectator Wine Cellar and paid the same $200 for the whole experience of stay and food as you paid with us. I did not begrudge them that they had no Jacuzzi or Wood burning fireplace or 50"TV in the room or that there was no private deck with 2 padded chaise lounge chairs for my personal use overlooking the lake shore and that I had a double bed and not a King bed. I would have preferred our Euro Top King bed with the feather Topper on it, too bad if you didn't like the feather topper you didn't take it off as some of our guests do, but most of our guests loved to be cocooned by it. The Feather topper is just below the mattress pad and above the new mattresses, so please feel free to remove for your sleep or ask us to remove it for you. All guests who are uncomfortable have the right to call us 24 hours a day to rectify, too bad you didn't as this is your responsibility as a guest. My 1 Star did not offer me breakfast in bed with Eggs Benedict or a variety of tasty dishes, have you ever had breakfast at a Motel 8. I can tell by the tone of your review that you were looking for a free night or a discount for your sleep of which we would not accommodate. Typically everything than is poor or fair because we would not give in. Sorry but we have principals too. JohnS, Owner.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hmm, where do I start? I stayed over for 2 nights in the inclusive Junior Suite and I enjoyed it so much, I am definitely coming back in the summer––or when the weather is on our side! Unfortunately, it rained for 2 out of the 3 days, but we still tried to make the best of it. If the sun is out, definitely use that to your advantage!! Their website lists everything they have for you/what you can do. I don't want to list all, there's alot!

SERVICE:
Service was overall excellent. Front desk was very kind. If you have allergies, they make sure they'll cater to you. They will even call you to remind you/invite you for free breakfast or offer to deliver to your room. Service at dinner was exceptional as well. Overall, you can tell they will go beyond to try and assist you with anything.

ROOM/SLEEP:
Graciously spacious in the Junior Suite. Had a jacuzzi, fireplace (yay for marshmallows), own view accessible to the outside in the backyard. Their beds feel like heaven, I wanted to bring the mattress and pillows home. Best bed and sleep I've encountered in staying at many hotels/motels by far.

FOOD/DINNER:
Delicious! You have to make reservations for dinner, but atleast it's inclusive on each day stay. I remember reading reviews and some people complaining about how "old fashioned" it looks and that they have a strict dress code. Why the heck not, people?! I loved the restaurant setting, it adds on to the whole fanciness and regal atmosphere. When do we ever get to really dress up and enjoy good food? I really liked that they did that, I didn't see the problem. I very much prefer this and seeing others dress up too, than eat at a tacky restaurant (that I already do all the time at home.)

SCENERY/ALGONQUIN PARK:
Beautiful for the nature crazies like me. Yes, it is a bit of a drive to Algonquin, but that's expected and shouldn't be a problem if you have a car anyway. I'd suggest watching the sunsets, doing the trails, etc.

Overall again, it just sucked weather wasn't on our side, so I'd plan accordingly. Rain and cold stops you from not being able to do a lot besides the games room. I really wish it was beautiful weather all week long on the days we went (to accomplish the Algonquin Park trails too), but I'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanida L

So glad you had a perfect getaway in spite of Mother Nature. She is one thing we cannot control. If you want to know more about the pillows and toppers for the beds or mattresses feel free to call or email us. We will put you in contact with the right people. And thanks so much for sharing your photos with all of us. Not all are as fortunate as we are to be so close to beautiful Algonquin Park.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#5 of 6 in Whitney
Spectacle Lake Lodge
Spectacle Lake Lodge
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!