“Thought of Everything” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Bolton, Canada
“Thought of Everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

It seems that Couples Resort has invested a lot of time and effort into service and client experience. We stayed in a master junior suite. Hot tub, Jacuzzi steam shower , fireplace, etc ... - 1000 sqft. Staff were always great!.Our friends stayed in smaller rooms that are nice as well. Included dining was varied and very enjoyable. Dining staff added to the experience. We almost felt guilty spending 2 hrs enjoying our meals - almost but not quite :-)) ....
Overall an excellent destination to shed reality and kick-back. Great Value - $$ are worth it!

The grounds fit with the local environment. Its good to know they're reinvesting in the older facilities, new technologies( solar heating) and landscaping.
Who cares about weather !!! We were in the heated pool every day !
The lake was quiet, enabling paddle boating, canoeing etc.. whenever.
Lots to do ...We'll be back for sure !

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view. If you enjoy more space(and a hot tub) Master junior suites or above are...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
So very glad you enjoyed your stay. No guilt needed when it comes to enjoying your dinner at a leisurely pace.This is way we have planned it. So much fun to take your time to enjoy a meal together. It seems rare in this fast paced society we live in. We love that you enjoyed all the facilities and activities so much despite what Mother Nature may throw
at us. We look forward to seeing you again

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon a couple of weeks ago. We were both blown away by the Couples Resort. From the time we stepped up to the front desk till we checked out; we were served by some of the friendliest people I've ever meet. The food was delicious and the accommodations were fantastic. When we first walked into the Villa we were blown away by how big it was. I think we were both expecting something smaller and were pleasantly surprised. It rained the first couple of days; but that was no problem. Since we stayed in one of the villas; we enjoyed our own sauna, two-person shower, in room jacuzzi, a fireplace, and a screened in porch, there was no reason to leave the room. In fact, on the rainy days we elected to have our dinners delivered to our room, in stead of us running through the rain.

One of the best examples of their customer service was when my wife and I over slept and woke up right as breakfast was ending. However, the dinning room noticed that we had not stopped in for breakfast and called us at !0:45 to ask if we still wanted breakfast. We were both stunned by the willingness to go the extra mile for us.

I could talk so much about how we loved the employees there. Another example is I have very ticklish feet. But I manned up and decided to get one of their "foot treatments for men" (just a funny way of calling it a men's pedicure). The treatment was half off during the summer. Danielle was able to give me my pedicure without tickling my feet which is a miracle if you ask my wife. Everyone was well trained and very nice.

I also really enjoyed the game room, which had darts, billiards, board games, and others. There was a lot to do including hiking, canoeing and horseback riding. But I really encourage you to cuddle up with your loved one next to the fireplace or out on the porch and read a book and enjoy each other's company.

I suppose their were only two downsides to my Couples Resort experience. I had trouble getting in touch with them the week before to confirm reservations by phone. But once I went through email, I received a reply with 24 hours. The other thing was during the rainy days, the wifi was a little shaky. This might just have been due to the rain. But on the bright side, it offered a great excuse to turn of the laptop and focus on whats important.

Overall, I highly recommend the Couples Resort. My wife and I are from Los Angeles, California and it was totally worth the long journey to get there. We plan on making it back some day. It was a fantastic honeymoon. We could not have had a better honeymoon for such a cheap price.

P.S. I should say a little bit more about the airport access. My wife and I flew into Buffalo Airport after take a red-eye from California. It took us about 6 hours to drive up to the resort (that's including stopping for lunch). It was pretty rough driving on such little sleep and if I could do it again, I would consider spending a day in Toronto or Niagara because we were both pretty shot when we got to the resort. The drive from Toronto airport or Ottawa is much shorter, but Buffalo was cheaper for us. So if you are flying, keep a lookout for deals at Toronto or Ottawa airport. With that said, it was totally doable to drive from Buffalo....just very tiring.

Room Tip: As far as rooms go, my wife and I elected to do a more expensive room and stay for 4 nights in stead...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lelandm28
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I couldn`t imagine a more relaxing or peaceful place to take a BabyMoon before the craziness really begins - again. We discovered this little gem after much research online and were definitely NOT disappointed. The package price is unbeatable and worth every penny. Though the BabyMoon package only includes Jr. Suites (which is the `cheapest` of their rooms), there are lots of free things included - breakfast and gourmet supper every day (in dining room or free in room service), unlimited supply of juices and virgin drinks are supplied in the dining room and poolside for mom-to-be, free use of water equipment, etc. Pregnancy massage is available for a fee.
What really made our trip there for us were three things - the food, the peaceful setting, and the wonderful staff service. You can`t beat the setting. The resort sits on the edge of Galiery Lake which is 90% undeveloped and therefore very, very quiet. You can canoe or boat from the resort into Algonquin if you choose. The gardens are extremely well kept and perfectly blends in with the natural setting. We met Fern, the head gardener and he takes so much pride in what he does that it naturally shows in the spectacular results beautifully situated throughout the resort. The resort is very eco-friendly too. They grow much of the fresh vegetables and herbs on site (which is one of many reasons I`m sure the food is sooo good), they filter the lake water and use that for drinking water (and have their own CO2 machine to give you the option of sparkling water), they use solar panels to heat the water in private accommodations (which have private hot tubs) and parts of the resort, and they use 100% organic cotton towels (the in-room towels are soft like Egyptian cotton). Each room has a King-sized bed with the option of having a pillow topper on it - which we discovered was able to be removed for our second night stay and it made for a better sleep - a wood fireplace, and double person jacuzzi. Every staff member we met was more than helpful and made sure that I was comfortable at all times. The servers in the dining room all have a great sense of humour and definitely have recommendations ready for you if you ask. Though it`s a resort, you don`t get the same intensity as other high profile places and I`m inclined to contribute it to the `couples only` policy. It`s a place to completely unwind and de-stress, with offerings of a variety of activities if you choose - but no pressure to do anything else.
We found that some updating is needed in parts of the resort cosmetically (like the recreation room) but it didn`t detract from the service or the rest of the resort. The BabyMoon package is very difficult to find on the website (listed under Packages, then Brides, and is the last package on that submenu), and the website is very wordy and somewhat unclear in parts (though staff are quick to respond to email inquiries with clarifications). I think that a re-branding, or at least a new marketing campaign, of the resort would be greatly beneficial in bringing in more couples. It`s such a gem yet it took us several hours searching online before we found it.
We can`t wait to go back and hope to go again when we`re able to leave our newest addition with family - which probably won`t be sooner than we hope.

Room Tip: BabyMoon package only uses the Jr. Suites and you can only book your package the day before arrival...
1 Thank luvtotrvl27
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Congratulations and I hope all is very well with you. Wow, you have completely described Couples Resort, no need for me, lol. We are so happy that you had so many things that made you happy in these last quiet days, thank you for enjoying beautiful Algonquin Park with us. We will see you when you are ready, with a free massage. Thank you for your review, the babymoon is easier to find now, and we are prioritizing repairs and renovations, and the rec room will be a little while yet. All the best in your future.
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Good Day,,
Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed our stay this week. The resort is gorgeous, our room was great… loved the hot tub on our balcony, great to have the fireplace and now I want to install a steam shower at home. We both enjoyed our Shiatsu Massage too. The food was yummy, yummy and so were the bevvies (especially the martinis :) ). The Staff---TOPNOTCH!!!!! Everyone was so friendly and lovely to chat with. Thank you for making our getaway memorable!!!! Hope to return many more times.
Cheers!
Bonny & Steve

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words. Contact us (John) when you are ready to install that steam shower for tips. And be sure to take advantage of the many offerings in our Loyalty program on your next visit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I went to the couples resort for a last minute anniversary getaway and we had mixed reviews. The property is very nice but is not a secluded as I was led to believe from the website. We enjoyed the many activities the resort offers including canoeing, relaxing by the pool and outdoor hot tub, and playing various games in the games room. Most of our time was spent in our suite (exotic jr suite) in our hot tub, which was the reason we booked this resort. I was in love with this feature and my husband loved the steam shower. It was amazing but at a last minute rate of $500+ a night, the value is just not there in comparison to other hotels in Ontario. The hotel is a bit dated in some areas and the finishing's are not quite right. The rooms were spacious and clean.

Dinner was fantastic and loved the formality of it, as there are not that may occasions to do this with your spouse. My husband and I were both stuffed and should have taken the dessert to our rooms. The cheesecake was phenomenal!! I truly did feel spoiled with breakfast in bed (eggs benedict), tea on the balcony in a luxurious robe, and a hot tub before check out. This resort is suited for those who want to kick back and relax and enjoy each others company.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and my only real complaint would be the $$ and that we had planned to go to Algonquin park on our final day as was on the way home (as park passes were supposed to be included in the price). Sadly we learned that you were only borrowing a season pass from the resort and it needed to be returned at the end of the day, so we lost an entire planned day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Melissa B
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Most of the year price is under $200 / night / Couple for All-inclusive with gourmet meals & sports & all taxes & tips, in a Jacuzzi with Fireplace room. I am sorry you came at a peak time where it was more expensive. We are especially glad you enjoyed so much at our resort especially the amenities of your room and the gourmet 5 course dinner. I have looked at our website and I do not get seclusion as a promise and when I look at the video which is so prominent in our website it sells only 3 promises 1) luxury 2) romance and 3) delicious meals, after all it is all about the Couple here at Couples Resort. But I am glad I looked again to make sure we were not selling a false promise. I wish you could have indicated which other 5 Star hotels or 5 Star resorts in Ontario or even Canada (best to compare apples to apples for us for similar Canadian cost structures) that were better value than us, as we wish to exceed in value. Sorry that your anniversary time is an expensive time of the year here at the resort for you. Perhaps we will see you again just as a getaway when we are not in peak season and lower priced. Sincerely JohnS - Owner.
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I were there to celebrate our one year anniversary/babymoon and it was perfect. We stayed in the Jr. Master Suite for 2 nights- it was beautiful, great views. The food was divine and all the staff were so kind to our every need. I would recommend this place to everyone I know. It was a perfect distance from Algonquin Park- where we went for a couple hikes. The pool & hot tub are situated in the perfect spot where you can still enjoy the view of the stunning quiet lake. We also enjoyed going kayaking &canoeing. Can't wait to go back- maybe in the winter next time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for the kind review. And for sharing the photos. The view of the lake and pool are perfect from the Master suites. I am glad you got to enjoy some time in Algonquin as well. We are fortunate to be located so close to it. You will love the winter I am sure. The private hot tub and the wood burning fire are the perfect combination! Don’t forget to take advantage of the Loyalty program and all it offers.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I spent three days and two nights at the Couples Resort in the Klimt room, a Master’s Suite.

We golfed on the way from Ottawa to the Resort and our timing was such that we arrived two hours before check-in. We were asked for our cell number and told we would be called when the room was ready. We were invited to use the Resort’s facilities. We chose to use the Games’ Room. We played several games of darts, ping pong, table shuffleboard and were into our third game of pool when Mary called to let us know our room was ready. It was such fun that we are thinking of adding a games’ room to our home!!!

Upon check-in my husband told Mary that he was an early riser and wanted to know where he could go to have a coffee, read his book and enjoy the scenery. She said "on your deck"! She then gave him half a dozen coffee pods for the room's Keurig machine and advised him to ask for milk/creamers on the way out from dinner. He spent both mornings, for two hours, on the deck, reading and enjoying his coffee and the scenery.

We entered our room and were amazed at the size. It was 1,000 square feet of luxury and beauty.

The bathroom had a large shower/steam shower with seating, make-up table, double sinks and lots of towels, toiletries and a hair dryer. There was lots of lighting too. The toilet and bidet were across from the bath. The only criticism I have is that one must go across to the bath area to wash hands.

The closet was large and contained extra towels, two bathrobes, lots of hangars, an ironing board/iron, an umbrella and a safe. It had mirrored doors to check ones appearance before going out for dinner!

Beside the closet was a kitchen area with a bar fridge, microwave, sink, mugs, wine glasses, ice bucket, tongs, cork screw, dish detergent and a recycle bin. The area could be closed off with double doors.

Across from the kitchen area was a two person Jacuzzi tub with tons of towels. There was also a basket of bath products at additional cost. There was a small table with several towels to be used for the hot tub and pool and two terrycloth covers for the lounge chairs. Must get some of those!!!

Then there was the bed!!! King size, feather bed topper, cool cotton sheets, a duvet and the most comfortable feather pillows I have ever experienced! We slept so well on both nights, that we woke up feeling refreshed for a change. It was a new experience. There were two large dressers, one on each side of the bed, with great lights for reading. The clock had large, easy to see numbers.

Beside the dresser was an extremely comfortable sofa, a large coffee table and literature about the resort and the area. There were also a couple of candles/match books to add to the ambiance. In front of the coffee table was a round table with two chairs, very convenient if one wanted room service.

On the far wall was a 50" television with a blue ray player. Netflix was also offered, complimentary. We did not watch much tv and did not use Netflix. I don’t think we would pay for it if there was an extra charge.

There was also a wood burning fireplace with complimentary fire starter and wood.

The piece de resistance of the Suite was the deck. It was large, with two comfortable lounge chairs and a small table between them. It overlooked Galeairy Lake. Then there was THE HOT TUB!!! We used it so much that our skin was constantly prune like. LOL It is definitely worth the extra cost.

We used the pool and the public hot tub once. There was complimentary use of paddle boats, canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes. We had great intentions of using them but ended up spending most of our free time on our deck, in the hot tub!!!. We did manage to go for a couple of walks and the scenery is great. They were also offering free passes to use in Algonquin Park, but again, we chose to stay on our deck.

Dinner and breakfast were included in the cost of our Suite. For dinner the first night we ordered frog legs, caesar salad, baked brie, rack of lamb and paella. An amuse bouche was served before our starters and our amazing server, Alaura, brought still water, bread and a dish with butter, sun dried tomato hummus and an oil/balsamic vinegar mix. For dessert we had New York Cheesecake and Bailey’s Creme Brule. I had a glass of Merlot. The meal was wonderful! Flavourful, well portioned and perfect timing between courses.

The second night we were fortunate to again have Alaura as our server. This time the amazing food ordered was Northern Forest mushroom vol au vent, asparagus/spinach soup and Angus steak. Dessert was Tiramisu (the best I’ve ever eaten) and Key Lime pie. I enjoyed another glass of Merlot. The wine was extra and one could have purchased bottles or enjoyed a bottle brought from home and paid a corking fee of $15.00.

Breakfast both days was great. We enjoyed Eggs Benedict the first day. The second it was the omelette and French toast. It included juice, coffee/tea and exceptional service.

As a repeat guest we were entitled to a one hour spa treatment. My husband insisted it be mine. (He's a keeper!) I chose a one hour Ayurveda Indian Head Massage. What a treat! My spa practitioner, Danielle, explained what she was going to do and she did it very well. I would highly recommend this treatment.

After my massage we went back to the games’ room for more pool. I actually won a game - must have been due to the relaxing massage!!!

The suite we enjoyed was not inexpensive but we feel we definitely got our money’s worth in fun, relaxation and being spoiled. We will definitely return, if not this year, then next. Check out their website for details on the rooms, menus, spa treatments and activities. It is perfect for a quick getaway, romance, special occasion or just to reconnect with your special someone.

Room Tip: Suites with the private hot tubs are well worth the extra charge!
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank emmasnana2007
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Wow! Sounds like you had a great time! It’s unbelievable what you can fit into a 2 nights stay! We are so very glad you enjoyed the Master suite and all it had to offer. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Madawaska Lodge
Madawaska Lodge
#1 of 4 in Madawaska
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!