“5 star rustic esque getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
Richmond Hill, Canada
“5 star rustic esque getaway”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Yes - you can go canoeing, kayaking, horseback riding, hiking, and loads more activities, but the real star of this resort is the food. We took advantage of all of the non-motorized activities offered free of charge, and enjoyed ourselves immensely...but it was the breakfasts and dinners that we will most fondly remember...oh yeah, and relaxing as a couple /away from the kids.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. All have a nice view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thanks so much for the review. I will be sure to share your compliments on the food with the kitchen. And we agree 100% on the importance of getting away from it all with your loved one. So glad it was a great time for you both

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just came back from a three night stay. Overall it is a relaxing experience. The spa villa overlooks the lake. It is spacious and well appointed with jacuzzi, steamer and sauna. Some may find the semi formal dinner dress code with tie a bit uptight, especially if they pack outdoor gears for Algonquin. The dinner policy is upfront on their web site and guests have to decide for their own if this is for them. For those who do, it is a good experience. On our last day the owner spoke to all breakfast guests and appreciated their businesses. Recommend for those who look for a romantic getaway.

2 Thank Sebastian_Hon
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you Sebastian for your review, it was a pleasure to meet you at breakfast. I am delighted to hear that you broke down and made the choice to experience "dining with a tie" and being "outdoors in Algonquin Park" both on the same holiday, and that you found it such a good experience. Thank you for recommending us as a romantic getaway. As an FYI for better value, prices start dropping fast toward the end of October to Christmas, hope you can come back, thank you. JohnS -owner.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My partner took me here as a birthday getaway. I loved the in-room jacuzzi, heated pool and outdoor hot tub. Our king-sized bed was super comfy and the shower was enormous and amazing. The food at dinners was great. The proximity to Algonquin park was great for hiking, and we also went to Adventure Stables for horseback riding. That said, it didn't quite feel as private as I would have liked, and it was a bit stuffy. Some of the decorations are tired and while they tried to make the dining room posh (semi-formal dress code) it felt a little artificial.

1 Thank Ali R
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just returned from a 2 night, 3 day stay. It was wonderful! The staff was friendly and accommodating, our room (Master Suite) was lovely with everything you could want in a hotel suite. Room was very quiet, beds extremely comfortable, no noisy a/c that you typically get in hotels (which drives me nuts!!) and had (as all rooms do irrespective of where you stay at the resort) a beautiful view of the lake! The dinner selection and quality was superb and the ability to pay a corkage fee and bring your own wine is certainly a plus. We moored our boat at the dock with ease and help from staff, enjoyed the free use of bicycles to see the town and tour the trails and enjoyed the hot tub while listening to wolves howl at the full moon. Absolutely spectacular lake views of the beautiful forests of Algonquin were witnessed from our boat - pure bliss in seclusion!!! We are both professionals who needed some relaxation time without the internet, TV, phones or city noise and we sure got it at this resort. Steam shower was heavenly and having the option of breakfast in bed (we had eggs benedict and eggs over easy breakfasts, both of which were amazing) was much appreciated. The outdoor pool and spa were well kept and we always found a place where we could sit together uninterrupted by noise or other guests. We both had a massage (me a relaxation massage and my partner a shiatsu) and were happy with the treatments. The only thing that I could suggest is for dining room staff to be less scripted when seating and serving dinner. Just relax and not worry so much about the formalities such as introducing yourself twice just to make sure you have it covered! :) It wasn't a problem but just something that could be improved in dealing with dinner patrons! What a glorious hot summer weekend to remember! We both agreed that we should have booked for a few more days as we so thoroughly enjoyed this resort and were pleasantly surprised to have found such a jewel in the Ontario north!! We'll definitely be back and thank you!

Room Tip: Master suite (Botticelli) was beautiful, functional, spacious and quiet. It is an end unit suite on...
1 Thank 964Andrea
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thanks so much for the kind review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in so many ways. Being on the lake in the summer is the best way to enjoy Algonquin and it is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you again.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

It was an amazingly relaxing three nights and four days.
The food was beyond expectation. Their gnashe was exceptional and the best dessert I have ever eaten. Sorry mom. Dress code made dinner more of an occasion then just showing up...
Room was cozy. Biked rail trail and dirt trail. Kayaked for hours that was calm and peaceful with no boaters.
Perfect spot to get away and be alone with someone special. I couldnt think of any reason not to go back.
Thanks again couple resort for a great birthday getaway...

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeffreyarden
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Great to hear you had a great birthday getaway. Perfect with the right amount of alone time with your special, decadent meals and totally sports. Thank you so much for your review, and we look forward to having you celebrate many more birthdays here. Have a great year!
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband just got back from a weekend at The Couples Resort. This was our first time here. We were looking for a place out of town where we could celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. It sounded perfect. We didn't balk too much at the hefty price tag ($1900 for 2 nights, all in) because we expected the very best. We have traveled a lot and have stayed at some very nice places. So being pampered is what we expected. Upon arrival, the front desk was more than nice. She welcomed us and gave us all the information we needed to find our room ourselves. We were staying in a Chateau, so luckily it was within walking distance to the main office. We were excited to see our chateau. I was impressed with the space and furniture. It is nice. After a few hours, I started to notice the dated wall paper and boarder, and well as the dated curtains and fabric covered valances. It seems like the interior decor hasn't been updated since it was built. Such a shame. A facelift would take your focus off of the dated decor and allow you to enjoy it for what it is. Beautiful! The grounds are beautifully manicured. We took advantage of the paddle boats and enjoyed the hot tub, sauna and steam shower in our chateau. For the nightly price, I would have expected more pampering treats... such as a couples massage, or even a fruit/snack basket, or something! Housekeeping was poor. Although our room did get made up, the staff needs to be brought up to high standards. The bed looked like a child made a best attempt. Very unwelcoming. The towels were replaced, but just placed in a folded pile on the vanity. Our robes, which were provided, and were luxurious, remained where we left them without being hung up for us. No mints or chocolates on the pillows. The ice bucket, which had water in it from the night before, remained on our counter with the water still in it. I was skeptical if the cups that were put away were even washed, so I washed them myself.
Our room had a Keurig machine, but only two K-cups of coffee were provided. We like to have a few cups in the morning and one in the evening. I had to go to the front desk to ask for more. Also, the creamer provided was powdered. When we got room service, we asked for some cream for our coffee, which they provided.
We had dinner in the room the first night. My husband ordered the Paella Colombiana. The risotto was uncooked/crunchy, not aldante like it should be. Very disappointing! The deserts were delicious! The second day we went for breakfast and John, the owner, went around and introduced himself to every single person in the dining room. I thought that was nice. Here is a man that was given this wonderful business from his parents, and you can tell by his unweathered appearance, he hasn't had too much stress in his life. He is carefree and welcoming. Very nice man!
The second night we called to make a dinner reservation, but the earliest we could get was 8:45. sigh!! Way too late for us. We ended up eating in our room again at 7:30. I had the Chicken with Lobster Ravioli. I am not sure what happened to the Lobster, but I didn't taste it at all. I am from the canadian maritimes, so I would know a lobster when I taste one. The sour cherry chutney was far too overpowering for the pasta, although it complimented the chicken quite nicely.
All in all, we did have a lovely weekend. The price was far too high for what we got. I would pay $300 a night for our chateau. The food, as it seems to have impressed everyone else, did not impress us. I would like to have the option to eat elsewhere. Perhaps we got a weekend where the chef was on vacation??
Would I go back? Yes, I would go back to the area, and spend my hard earned money on a cabin near a nice restaurant. The Algonquin Park is breathtaking!

Room Tip: If I went back I would get a Villa. The Chateau is not worth the high cost.
2 Thank LeavingOttawa
Thank you for your post and we are glad you had a lovely weekend here at our Resort in Algonquin. Thank you for the notes that we may consider for the future. We hope you enjoyed the free spa package in your room with all the free organic soaps, lotions and bubbles as you seemed to have forgotten to mention it. John says he did receive the Resort as a gift from his parents as do all children in Canada under Canadian Law, and he is glad he did not have to fret when so many of his peers, in similar tourism businesses (smaller and much bigger), here in Canada, lost their businesses to bankruptcies or had to sell their business for 20 to 30 cents on the replacement dollar to get out before they lost everything. The Great Recession did that to his peers, and he was glad he did not have to be stressed about that.
I wonder if we rented the Chateaus for $300 a night if there would be a waiting list in the Summer, I wonder who would pay for us 75 Canadian Staff, I wonder if we would be bankrupt as well and I would need to find a new job. There are lots of Cabins in Algonquin Park in the summer and they have great restaurants there as well, I am sure you will be pleased trying that next year, as some of them are our friends and work hard to please.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Couples Resort end of April. We took advantaged of the low season deals. We had the main floor Jr Suite, which is perfect for us because its a walkout to the lake. The room was clean, with jacuzzi and fireplace.
I took advantage of the 9am spa deal, and got myself a massage for 50% off...and when I got back to the room, breakfast was waiting for me :-)
The food at this resort is amazing. I had their eggs Benedict both mornings because they were amazing...especially the dill cakes.. My husband loved the omelettes.
The 5 course dinner were delicious..I personally enjoyed the steak and the Mahi Mahi.
The staff were all very friendly and made our stay memorable.
We are planning to go back some time this winter.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MPG-80
Thank you for your review. The only way I can make this better for you, I hope, is to let you know that prices for the Jr Suites (on the 1st floor) are lower in December and again you will find the same price next April. But the bigger news is that in Mid-October we will be adding a Hot Tub to each of the main floor lower decks, and I hope you find that as exciting as we do, even though those with the Hot Tub will cost a little more. And to cause more delight remember you have a free spa hour when you return so book early. Hope to see you in early December to enjoy some of that winter at the lowest prices.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!