“My best stay so far”

Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Orlando, Florida
“My best stay so far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were six of us visiting Algonquin last week. We selected this lodge as this was already rated the best in trip advisor. We had already built our expectations and Ms erin, the owner of this lodge has not disappointed at all. It was perfectly clean everywhere. the toilets were spacious and clean. the linens and towels were of excellent quality. Ms Erin has been so helpful in so many ways, she has suggested some wonderful places to see. The lodge has free canoes, kayaks, and paddle-boats. Also you can rent other motor-boats. There are people everywhere cleaning the outside areas, collecting garbages etc. the kitchen was fully-equipped with a toaster, microwave, oven, coffee-maker, and other various utensils to cook, and dishes to eat. In one word, I would love to visit Hay Lake lodge just for its beauty and relaxation, and last but not the least for Ms Erin. She is a wonderful personality I have met so far. The only concern, if you visit during the month of May-June, then cary bug-repellants with you and try to wear full-sleeves shirts and pants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for the kind words. It was so nice to have you here. I loved seeing how you all took advantage of the Park, the ATV riding, trying the canoes and kayaks.... We do try to make sure you have what you need to enjoy your stay, and I am fortunate to have such a great staff. One of these days we'll even solve the spring black fly problem, but for now, we'll just have to give you tips on how to dress and let you enjoy the screened porches. Hope you can join us another time.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We spent a wonderful relaxing week at Hay Lake. Erin and the staff couldn't have been nicer. A lovely quiet week of reading, wandering through the trails and just sitting and watching the birds from our porch. We plan to go back next year.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARCHIELET
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Goodness- I must have been distracted by Christmas when you posted! Now that I think Spring will actually return, I notice your comments - I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Anniversaries are special - particularly when it's your 55th! So it's wonderful that you were pleased with your stay. We certainly enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was not sure there is a need for my review - as everyone is saying the same thing: excellent! But certainly Erin deserves every praise for a truly unique place she's created - so here goes.
You will have a marvelous time here if you like to be active (canoes and kayaks on site, swimming, hiking in Algonquin park nearby...); likewise, you will enjoy yourself immensely if you simply want to relax on your own private lakeside bench, or BBQ, or read on the terrace. The cottages are very well equipped, and the breakfast gets delivered to your door and is delicious.
We will make it our annual retreat, and are telling all our friends about it. Thank you, Erin!

Room Tip: Cottages 5,6 are more secluded
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travel_Snova
Haylake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
What a nice note! It's true that more reviews are always appreciated - it helps those who are reading see whether we're still on track, and Trip Advisor keeps count. It was a pleasure hosting you and your friends for Thanksgiving, and really the Swiss chocolates were a lovely thank you. All the housekeepers were quite pleased! I'm glad to hear you plan to return - see you next Season.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is a stunning yet serene and peaceful place . I just couldn't take my eyes off the beautiful lay out of the lake with its island. Sometimes in the morning you had to wait for the mist to clear, it was just like a dream ! The cottage we stayed in was not new but spick and span! I have hardly come across anything cleaner than this. While cooking in the kitchen I felt like Meryl Streep in the movie "Bridges of Madison County" , just waiting for Clint Eastwood to show up...
We could have stayed on for weeks - relaxing, kayaking etc ...and will try to make it back there. Go ! Go ! Go !

Room Tip: We stayed at cottage number 6 which , I believe is the most private one with its own fire pit and de...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Haylake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here. It means all the more because I know you have traveled to many places. Your comment that the cabin is not new is a gentle reminder that time keeps passing- at Hay Lake, it IS the "new" cabin, only 26 years old :) - Our oldest cabin is almost 60 years old and people are always amazed to learn that, since we pride ourselves on keeping everything fresh, with a traditional feel.
There are so many places to visit, but I hope you'll join us again. Thanks for your kind words.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed 4 days/4 nights at Hay Lake Lodge and the trip was so relaxing and peaceful that we wanted to stay much longer. It was a definite place to be for the end of summer! The view from all the cottages was lakefront and there was never any noise from the other vacationers. We could swim, fish, kayak, canoe or hike or simply sit in our screened in porch and admire the view.

The host Erin was most gracious and very welcoming to us. The morning breakfasts were very delicious and healthy, especially the warm croissants and muffins and fresh coffee!!
A place we will definitely visit again and again. Good for families. Prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Cabin 1 was the biggest and closest to the dock for fishing, kayaking etc.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. I really had the feeling talking with you that you were truly unwinding and enjoying the peace and quiet here. I confess I love the large porch on your cabin - I hope you enjoyed the swing!
Thanks again, and come back when you can
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you were going to make a movie set of a North Woods lodge/camp - this would be it!! Our only complain: we only had 4 nights/3 days!! in fact, i squinched an extra 1 1/2 hrs fishing in on our last day before breakfast (as always, delivered to your cabin!!).

We and friends had cabins #3 and 4. Each was cozy, 2 bedroom - incredibly clean, comfortable, and just what you'd want. Perfect for one adult couple (we used the extra bedroom for our gear) or, I suspect, a family of 4 (would be a bit cramped, but still great).

The only critical comment, which is actually a plus: it is miles from anywhere. You have to want to go there to be there - you will not just "stumble" onto it along the beaten path. And there isn't much in Whitney - but that's what makes this place so special!! Stop in the market ("no name") in Whitney and buy what you need for dinner and lunch, or plan to drive the 15 miles back to Whitney after you check-in, OR order "room service" from Erin- which we did not do, but I suspect it's terrific, since it comes from the same kitchen as our wonderful breakfasts!

We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Haylake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm always glad to hear that our guests found what they were looking for when they were here. We are so lucky to be on such a quiet lake, yet fairly easy to drive to (when you know to look for us:) My personal goal is that each guest feels as though their cabin was their own private getaway, with everything needed to make it possible to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the lake trout fillets - they were great!
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just spent a week at Hay Lake with our daughter and son-in-law. This is a place that you need to add to your bucket list. What a wonderful spot! The location is perfect, the cabins are immaculate and well equipped and Erin and her people are great. Breakfast was right on time every morning, allowing us to plan our day. Its close to Algonquin for any day trips that you want but well off the main roads so that you can enjoy the peace and quiet. We will certainly return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Haylake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thanks for taking the time to tell Trip Advisor about your stay. I know you wanted your English son-in-law to experience Canada's North and he definitely saw the lakes, the space, the birches and the stars at night. I have always felt fortunate that we are easy to reach, but far enough for people to savour the quiet. We in Ontario often forget that Algonquin Park is world famous - glad you enjoyed your time with us and come back when you can!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#1 of 7 in Barry's Bay
Spectacle Lake Lodge
Spectacle Lake Lodge
#3 of 7 in Barry's Bay

Been to Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages? Share your experiences!