“Lovely place. Great and friendly service.”

Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Lovely place. Great and friendly service. Privacy with a personal touch. Beautiful lake -- marshes, rocky shore, islands, partly in Algonquin Park. Terrific breakfasts. Interesting other guests. Good canoeing and fishing. My wife and I have vacationed here repeatedly.

• Stayed: August 2014
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for adding your feedback on Trip Advisor. When you first started coming, I"m not sure Trip Advisor had even started! The customer reviews though really make a difference. You are so right about our wonderful lake - there is so much to explore. I think the Fire Pit on the deck has been a place for interesting conversation among guests, along with the desserts and the wine. I'll hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I just spent a week at Hay Lake Lodge. We stayed in cabin 5. Its a large cabin for just two people but we loved it. We had our own private swimming area and dock. We like are privacy and lots of room and this cabin had it all. We had breakfast delivered to our porch every morning at 8:00am and that was lovely. We swam most days, took out the Canadian canoes, and just rested. We saw a lot of wildlife, had a blue heron go right over my head when sitting on the dock early one morning. Came very close to a loon when canoeing one evening. We heard a pack of wolves howling two nights in a row (from a distance). I can't explain how special this place is because it needs to be experienced. The staff were great and Erin is also quite a special person. Overall- best cabin on a lake holiday EVER and we will go back. I have heard the quote before "The silence was deafening" but I lived all of my thirty something years and never knew what that meant. Now I do. Extraordinary. Its quite a journey from London, England but because it is so special we have most likely become regulars!

Room Tip: Get cabin 5. Its expensive for just two people but you have a lot of space and your own private swim...
1  Thank TiggsMorton
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for the lovely feedback. I thoroughly enjoyed your visit and am so glad it met your hopes for your holiday. It is always a pleasure to share the beauty and quiet of Hay Lake with people who enjoy it so much. I know it's a bit far for an annual Birthday visit, but I do hope you'll be able to return again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hay Lake Lodge and the surrounding grounds are one of the most relaxing and beautiful places I've visited. The hospitality of Erin and her team is incredible. She takes great care and attention to ensure that guests enjoy every minute of their time there. She also helpfully arranged kayak lessons (offered by the lodge) and horse riding tours for us.

In terms of service, the breakfasts (delivered to your doorstep) were a great bonus and guaranteed that a busy mom could actually relax (since one family meal was provided effort-free). A mid-week freshening of the linens actually turned out to be a full-service clean of the cabin which was a lovely surprise when we returned from a outing on the lake.

We stayed in Cabin #1 which was incredibly spacious (4 bedrooms) and located very close to the Marina. This was a wonderful location for us (a family of 4) as we made great use of the nearby kayaks for exploring the lake and fishing.

Overall, I loved the quiet and calm, my husband loved the fishing and ability to be outdoors from dawn to beyond dusk, and our kids loved the range of activities available to them (they never got bored). We enjoyed it so much we already booked a week for next summer!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin#1. It is very close to the marina so if you like jumping into a kayak (or canoe...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review. It was fun to see how completely your family immersed themselves in the opportunities - and Doug enjoyed the lessons with your children! I have to admit I love the pine logs of cabin 1 and am glad you enjoyed your cabin. Your husband proved how good fishing from a kayak can be! I'll look forward to your visit next year.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at cabin 6 again this year . Its a lovely secluded cabin that is charming,well appointed, clean ! I can honestly say that as soon as we drive into the lane and open the doors I feel that I can breathe easier . Sitting by the lake listening to water,watching the loons swim by and taking in the beautiful views is rejuvenating. Erin and her employees go out of their way to make sure we have a good time . Breakfast delivered in the morning is excellent and makes us feel just a bit spoiled . The week goes by so quickly and we are always sad to leave. With our fast paced life everyone should indulge in some time at Hay Lake to bring us back to how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful country!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for the lovely thoughts. I know how much you enjoy spending time with your family up here at the lake, - but I thought you expressed that feeling of rest by the water so well. It is always good to see you and I look forward to your visit next year. Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband & I enjoyed our first visit so much that we have booked again for next year. Cabins are cozy and clean. Loved the breakfast that was brought to our cabin every morning. Kayak lesson was a lot of fun and the lake is beautiful. We went up to the main lodge in the evenings to sit by the fire and mingle with other guests or you can enjoy your own campfire by the water at your cottage. Thank you to all the friendly staff at Hay Lake Lodge...looking forward to next summer!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 secluded from other cabins though closest to a small beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It was so pleasant visiting with you at the Fire Pit. I hope you'll try the cheese flight again next year - we've been working on pairing cheeses and wines.
I'm glad you enjoyed your kayak lessons - you get extra points for trying the wet exit! Thanks again for your review - your words will give a lot of people a feeling for what it is like here. See you 2015!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband found this Lodge purely by chance, and what a great find.This is the place for you if you want to unplug, rejoice in the beauty of the province and its parks, enjoy nothing but the sound of the breeze through the trees , the paddle dipping into the water, and the loons on the lake.Wish we could have stayed longer at this cozy, clean and well appointed destination with probably the most thoughtful and caring hostess.

Room Tip: All cabins are lovely, and all have a great view, great privacy and all are geared for smaller or la...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Wow, I love your description - A place to breathe! Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. I really do believe we all need a time out now and then, and I'm glad you found one here. The loons on the lake are a definite bonus. I hope you'll be back for a longer visit, and thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is an amazing place...beautiful views, comfortable cabins with great amenities, kayaking, canoeing, fishing with loons to sing you to sleep. Breakfast is delivered to you door every morning and the hostess and staff are friendly and helpful

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. It was a real pleasure to visit with you and your friends. I think the new fire pit will work well as a conversation centre. It would be great if you could return for a longer stay - you seem to enjoy the kayak and there is a lot more lake to see!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#1 of 4 in Madawaska
Sir Sam's Inn & WaterSpa
Sir Sam's Inn & WaterSpa
#1 of 1 in Eagle Lake

Been to Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages? Share your experiences!