“Whitney Has Always Had Problems”

Algonquin River Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whitney
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Whitney Has Always Had Problems”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We have been going to the East end of Algonquin Park for over 25 years now because it is the closest place to one of our favorite lakes, Openongo. It has always been just one level higher than camping, but at one time, we found the East Gate Motel a great place to stay and loved the owners, Bob and Mary Kay. When Bob died many years ago, his son took over and the place has never been the same. As for the Parkway Inn, we never thought it was particularly nice and found the old owners to be just as rude as what other guests are now attributing to its new owners!! We gave it two shots and gave up on it!

At least there used to be a couple of places one could shop for food as there were no decent restaurants there and to my knowledge - and we go every year - there is only the Shell Station restaurant which, while not overly fancy, at least has some basic dishes. The little grocery store used to really cater to campers coming into the park, but stopped having much of a selection the past five to seven years. All in all, not a good place if your are hungry after a long day of canoeing!!

If you're really smart and intend to spend several days either car camping OR moteling, I would suggest you bring a cooler with a bunch of fresh vegetables, fruit and sandwich makings and plan on making your own basic meals. If a place has a microwave or outdoor BBQ, you might want to add hot dogs/sausages and beans.

I'm afraid Whitney is a tiny town that has slowly but surely been losing momentum and unless a big chain motel/restaurant comes to town (and after all of these years, I doubt it's going to happen!), you'd do well to get to the other end of the park which caters to Torontoians who are more picky and which has a much wider selection of restaurants.

My husband long ago gave up trying to find a place at the East End of Algonquin that had the right combination of food and accommodation and have accepted Whitney for what it is! Like I said, the Parkway Inn was never on our return visit list and the previous owners were always cold and rude, as far as we were concerned!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BonEva_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Elora, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Never again. New owners can barely speak English, called me a liar when I quoted their website, lied to me saying there was no managemnet that I could speak to and lied to me saying they were not new owners. Never again! There are many beautiful places to stay in Algonquin that welcome your business and will treat you well and provide much more comfortable accomodations for that kind of money.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Javabird1

Travellers are raving about these Whitney hotels

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2010

having been in the area for many years, and having been through many owners, this was not one of the better experiences,,minimal customer service or non to say the least.
I had friends stay for the weekend, and they did not enjoy their stay....I was questioned and checked on the number of people staying in each room which felt like an insult.
My guests were questioned and were asked how soon they were leaving..Towels may have not been cleaned.....oh I was embarassed. At one point if I thought I could of rented rooms elsewhere at another locale, I would of...
obvious to me they did not care if they had return patrons.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank leahy5579
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Reviewed 25 April 2010

The Algonquin Parkway Inn is located on the bank of a small river, just outside East exit the park, adjacent to route 60. We had a room facing the river. The motel is very basic and older, but our room was spotlessly clean and had a small refrigirator, microwave, and coffee machine (all new). The Inn is under new management and they are obviously doing their best.

The Inn is a perfect base for outdoor adventure. We were there for moose viewing (and saw two males, a female, a calf, as well as a whitetail deer, all on one morning). Other guests were there e.g. with quads to explore the area, and at night built a big bonfire in the Inn's fire pit next to the river. We got up at dawn to see steam rise from the river and, in the park, from Algonquin's lakes; it was magical.

The Inn is conveniently located next to all the essentials - several small restaurants, a convenience store, a tackle shop, a gas station and an LCBO. We had breakfast at Sherry's pizza and diner, where the owner, with country music playing in the background, whipped up a generous stack of some of the world's best pancakes.

In short, the Algonquin Parkway Inn is not about Lindt chocolates on the pillow and Egyption cotton towels. It's about the great outdoors, with clean sheets and hot showers afterwards. On our next trip to Algonquin, we will stay there again.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank dmtravelers
Montréal
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Really basic and cheap, really ok for spending a night.
Bathrooms are a bit old and could be better.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurent51
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I had to stay at this hotel because of a business trip we were at a neighboring town. I do event security for a living usually in the GTA area - however this particular week, my company was asked to go up north and we needed hotels to stay at and this was the ONLY HOTEL IN THE AREA.

This hotel was supposed to be literally a place where we would sleep, shower and grab the rides back when we had to go back to our shifts.

This seemed like a perfectly good idea..everyone who was going off to work gave there keys to someone who was going back to the hotel. Anyway! there was a misunderstanding, with myself and someone else in the company, and my room was being rented out to someone else I was not a where of this until I got home after doing a 15 hour shift in the blazing July heat only to find that my bag and all my items were NOT IN MY ROOM.

Suffice to say..I freaked out! a colleague and myself, talked to the maid and to the guy behind the counter - none of which spoke English. All the maid could say was "someone wearing your shirt took the bag out" (meaning my uniform shirt) but she could not give a basic description of the person/persons who took the stuff out of my bag.

It took me 45 minutes to get the guy behind the counter to tell me that when people leave stuff at the hotel by accident they leave it locked in the office in case they come back, but they wouldn't let me back there to see if any of my stuff was back there.
With me of the verge of tears and my coworkers getting quite agitated..they finally let me talk to the owner by phone., who in fact HUNG UP ON ME.

Suffice to say..it took the manager of my company and two supervisors to come down from work, to see what was going on with my bag and them threatening loss of business.
We finally found what was going on, but it was no help to the employees of the hotel.

Aside from that problem, the hotel which by all definition is quite literally a what my friends would call a 'road stop' motel..meaning
that it is a hotel to stay at when you are on the road in the middle of no where, and its a 'we need a place to stay, the car isn't an option and we are going to crash into a fiery death if we don't find a hotel now.'

there is no phones in the rooms, no internet service, SOMETIMES hot showers, and everything in the town worth eating closes at 9:00pm! (and the pay phones do not except quarters!)

The only way I would stay here again, by choice, is if like I said earlier..totally and completely desperate!

• Liked — Its close to the road.
  • Disliked — no one spoke english - there is absolutley no one there that can help you
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kanenite1985
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 July 2008

The Algonquin Parkway inn is a very modest little motor in with tired but clean rooms. Its run by a new owner who is doing his best to keep the place clean and maintained without spending much money on it. His English is not good so its a bit of a chore to communicate but again, he does his best.

Its a fine place to launch photo trips into Algonquin Park but for more than a night or two it might be a bit too basic. Its very convenient in that its located on Highway 60 about 10 minutes from the east gate of Algonquin Park and it backs onto a pretty little river.

My wife and I and now with our two children, have stayed there several times over about 15 years. We use it as a base before going camping in the park or when staying at a lodge in the park.

Our favourite time of year to stay is in the early part of May when the moose are out along the Highway 60 corridor through the park. We drive out very early and return in the evening.

There are two restaurants nearby, one just across the road the other just across the bridge over the river and these offer decent home style meals.

Our room had a bathtub on our last stay but others offer only showers.

If you like your comforts its not for you and there is a pricey but very nice rustic couples hotel in the same small village. If you are looking for decent inexpensive accommodation its fine.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Its a bit run down but clean.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank AllaSJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#3 of 15 in Algonquin Provincial Park
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Algonquin River Inn? Share your experiences!