“not good”

Algonquin River Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whitney
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here last year was terrible.room was cold ! heater in room and window wouldn't close. Sorry but nothing good to say about this place other than one side faces river. Wasroom was not nice at all toilet moved when you sat on it. We would have left but we were just to tired from traveling from Ottawa all day.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Larry L
There are newer reviews for Algonquin River Inn

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed there each Sept./Oct. for 2-3 days for the past 4 years. I always stay in room 12 with 2 double beds and it overlooks the river. I love the location being next to 2 restaurants, gas station, grocery store and pizza take-out. I find the room clean and comfortable although the motel is very old but you get what you pay for. The owner is very friendly and works very hard to make a living at a seasonal business. It's not fancy but I like it and will return. The view at the back of the motel in the fall is so beautiful . Take time to sit on the rocks and have your morning coffee ( I take a traveling coffee pot) or evening drink.

Room Tip: ask to see the room before you pay for it if it makes you feel more secure in staying there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Tana G
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This is a motel that has gone through many owners, some good, some not so good. We all know that miss managed ownership can tarnish a establishment for many years. please give this motel a try and it has been renamed the Algonquin River Inn., Simple, but worth the value and new friendly ownership. Sammie will look after you. He is trying to erase the past bad reviews.
This motel is located by the Madawaska river, so you will hear the roar of the river, it is very comforting. there is new paint , new beds, new carpet. and a local flavor that you can experience. great waterfalls and fishing for the kids..just try it....you will come back All within 3 km of Algonquin park..

Room Tip: By the river...,
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank leahy5579
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We have been going to the East end of Algonquin Park for over 25 years now because it is the closest place to one of our favorite lakes, Openongo. It has always been just one level higher than camping, but at one time, we found the East Gate Motel a great place to stay and loved the owners, Bob and Mary Kay. When Bob died many years ago, his son took over and the place has never been the same. As for the Parkway Inn, we never thought it was particularly nice and found the old owners to be just as rude as what other guests are now attributing to its new owners!! We gave it two shots and gave up on it!

At least there used to be a couple of places one could shop for food as there were no decent restaurants there and to my knowledge - and we go every year - there is only the Shell Station restaurant which, while not overly fancy, at least has some basic dishes. The little grocery store used to really cater to campers coming into the park, but stopped having much of a selection the past five to seven years. All in all, not a good place if your are hungry after a long day of canoeing!!

If you're really smart and intend to spend several days either car camping OR moteling, I would suggest you bring a cooler with a bunch of fresh vegetables, fruit and sandwich makings and plan on making your own basic meals. If a place has a microwave or outdoor BBQ, you might want to add hot dogs/sausages and beans.

I'm afraid Whitney is a tiny town that has slowly but surely been losing momentum and unless a big chain motel/restaurant comes to town (and after all of these years, I doubt it's going to happen!), you'd do well to get to the other end of the park which caters to Torontoians who are more picky and which has a much wider selection of restaurants.

My husband long ago gave up trying to find a place at the East End of Algonquin that had the right combination of food and accommodation and have accepted Whitney for what it is! Like I said, the Parkway Inn was never on our return visit list and the previous owners were always cold and rude, as far as we were concerned!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BonEva_12
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Never again. New owners can barely speak English, called me a liar when I quoted their website, lied to me saying there was no managemnet that I could speak to and lied to me saying they were not new owners. Never again! There are many beautiful places to stay in Algonquin that welcome your business and will treat you well and provide much more comfortable accomodations for that kind of money.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Javabird1
Reviewed 8 August 2010

having been in the area for many years, and having been through many owners, this was not one of the better experiences,,minimal customer service or non to say the least.
I had friends stay for the weekend, and they did not enjoy their stay....I was questioned and checked on the number of people staying in each room which felt like an insult.
My guests were questioned and were asked how soon they were leaving..Towels may have not been cleaned.....oh I was embarassed. At one point if I thought I could of rented rooms elsewhere at another locale, I would of...
obvious to me they did not care if they had return patrons.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank leahy5579
Reviewed 25 April 2010

The Algonquin Parkway Inn is located on the bank of a small river, just outside East exit the park, adjacent to route 60. We had a room facing the river. The motel is very basic and older, but our room was spotlessly clean and had a small refrigirator, microwave, and coffee machine (all new). The Inn is under new management and they are obviously doing their best.

The Inn is a perfect base for outdoor adventure. We were there for moose viewing (and saw two males, a female, a calf, as well as a whitetail deer, all on one morning). Other guests were there e.g. with quads to explore the area, and at night built a big bonfire in the Inn's fire pit next to the river. We got up at dawn to see steam rise from the river and, in the park, from Algonquin's lakes; it was magical.

The Inn is conveniently located next to all the essentials - several small restaurants, a convenience store, a tackle shop, a gas station and an LCBO. We had breakfast at Sherry's pizza and diner, where the owner, with country music playing in the background, whipped up a generous stack of some of the world's best pancakes.

In short, the Algonquin Parkway Inn is not about Lindt chocolates on the pillow and Egyption cotton towels. It's about the great outdoors, with clean sheets and hot showers afterwards. On our next trip to Algonquin, we will stay there again.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dmtravelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
The Mad Musher
#1 of 1 in Harcourt
The Arlington Hotel
The Arlington Hotel
#1 of 1 in Maynooth

Been to Algonquin River Inn? Share your experiences!