“Brilliant - unique perspective of the high country & LOTR”
Review of 4x4 New Zealand - CLOSED

4x4 New Zealand
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are aimed at independent travelers who want to get off the main tourist trails to experience the real back country New Zealand, an area that even those of us living here rarely get to see. We prefer to travel with individual groups so we can tailor the tour to your interests (Tolkein, Lord of the Rings, alpine ecology, photography, history of settlement) and stop whenever you want. Andre & Kirsty Russell
Reviewed 11 July 2010

From start to finish Andre was brilliant. He even organized a special tour for us as we were traveling down from Christchurch for the trip. We traveled through the high country with the highlights being the amazing views of where LOTR Edoras stood on top of Mt Sunday and the surrounding valleys. Andre had pictures and photos to relate the scenery to movie scenes for LOTR buffs and provided a fabulous home made lunch for us all to share.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

This was a great tour (1/2 day, lord of the rings), Andre was a great guide and we learnt so much! I have never seen Lord of the Rings, but still really enjoyed the tour as did my husband. The home baked treats are also great. Highly recommend this tour to all.

1  Thank _kate_1114
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Hi Tripadvisor Junkies!

My wife and I were down on South Island New Zealand in January 2009. We were meeting up with friends that we had met while touring in Europe and while surfing the internet I came upon the website for 4x4 New Zealand:
www.4x4newzealand.co.nz

Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings movie we decided to book the half day tour as we would only be in town one night and were moving on to Christchurch.

We were met by friendly Andre (our tour guide and owner) promptly at the organized time. He is obviously used to dealing with tourists as his first advice was......why don't you two run across the street and hit the restroom before we leave.......smart man!

The vehicle we were leaving on was well equipped, clean and comfortable. We thought it was great that it wasn't a huge bus with 40 people as it really gave us a chance to get to know Andre and vice versa. We only had one other person on the tour with us, a young American male that we had fun with when he asked why Canadian beer was so expensive......."cuz it actually has alcohol in it, not like that American stuff"...I replied....he was good natured and accepted the ribbing.

As we approached the first one lane bridge......Andre announced......"we don't use bridges", to which he pulled off the road and we crossed the river in our 4x4 with no problems.......LOL great fun!

As we travelled along Andre was really interesting telling us all sorts of awesome facts and stories about his country, and various places along the route. He was really good at pointing out things that we would have driven by and never noticed.

We were lucky enough to pass a sheep shearing operation that was underway......Andre pulled over and got us permission to enter the barn and watch. REALLY incredible to watch that operation, what a skill! Felt like V.I.P.s as the owner of the operation came over to chat with us for a while.

As we travelled along the area scenery was stunning........it was a welcome change for me as I was the designated driver for much of our trip thru New Zealand in the rental car we had, so it was very enjoyable to look around without having to worry about watching the road. Andre continued with his many facts about the area geology and farming industry. Almost immediately on the tour, he had a way of putting you at ease, like we were not on a tour anymore but just being driven around by an old friend.

The Lord of the Rings aspect was equally stunning......to be standing right by the spot where Edoras was built was awesome.....Andre pulled out a cinematography book to show us the actual screenshots from the movie.......we even have pictures of my wife and I with Helm's Deep as the backdrop.......it truly was incredible! Having Andre there explaining how the entire crew and set entered the area and then dismantled it all leaving the area truly pristine was very interesting.

It was quite windy that day.......so Andre was able to find us a nice structure on a private farm in order to stop for tea and snacks.......the snacks were delicious home-made cookies and blueberry muffins......made by his wife.....YUM! I can only imagine what the lunch would be if you took the full day tour.........NEXT TIME!

Overall, the tour was excellent, it was not rushed at all, Andre took the time to answer any and all questions.......he brought us to places we would never have found on our own and it was well worth the price. I would highly recommend a tour with 4x4 New Zealand Ltd.

Tks Andre!

Brenda & Allan (Whitby, Ontario, Canada)

1  Thank TorontoJet
Reviewed 22 December 2008

My wife and I were honeymooning in New Zealand and we definitely wanted to do at least one thing which was Lord of the Rings related. We opted for the half day Mt. Sunday tour from 4x4 New Zealand. Andre was right on time at their office, and we set out on a great trip. Andre was very knowledgeable about the area and provided great commentary. We drove through the countryside and finally ended up at Mt. Sunday (Edoras). Since we were only doing the half day tour, we didn't actually climb Mt. Sunday. However, the views and the landscape was just spectacular. Exactly as I remembered it from the movie. Actually, Andre had books with stills from the movie, and you see the exact locations of certain scenes.

We had afternoon coffee and snacks in a sheep shearing shed. There were still some freshly sheared wools in one corner. It was very authentic, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.

We were lucky that day, one of the local farmers was plowing his field with a team of Clydesdales. Beautiful animals.

We had a wonderful time, and I'd highly recommend this tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 May 2008

This is truly a great Lord of the Rings Tour. Andre took us for a full day which included an excellent lunch. We spent time on various LOTR film sites and even climed Mt. Sunday (Edoras). The ride in the Unimog was really fun and the thing can flat go anywhere you want. There was confusion about payment methods, but Andre just gave us a routing number and we paid online the next day. If you are looking for a great tour of the South Island, then this is the tour for you. Andre not only does the LOTR tours, but back country and wilderness adventure tours. I can't believe how lucky we were to have such a great guide, a great vehicle, great food and a wonderful experience. There are no drawbacks here, so book well in advance!!!! Andre you are the man!!!

2  Thank jameswoodap