See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Snow Denn lodge was one of our favourite places we stayed during our New Zealand trip. We stayed in the private ensuite rooms which were clean and comfortable. Owner George was attentive, friendly and kind, offering extra blankets and lots of advice on places to visit in the area. Following his advice we had two lovely days at Mount Sunday and Washpenn Falls with absolutely stunning scenery. In the evening we all relaxed by a log fire in the comfortable common area. Games and films were available to borrow as well. Great location with good access to Mount Hutt and the surrounding area and a nice comfortable stay. Reasonable price for an ensuite room too. Would definitely recommend staying here. Thanks George! :) - Eve and family

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
snowdennlodge2015, Owner at Snow Denn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi Eve....what a pleasure to have the such beautiful guests like you stay here at Snow Denn Lodge with us.....and I thank you!

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We had the same experience as the past two reviewers, we were told we weren't booked in despite booking several months ago and ringing at least three times to confirm. The young foreign woman in the office was rude and dismissive, and completely unprofessional. In contrast, the young guy who did help us out (Dan? Ben?) couldn't have been more helpful, so big thanks to him. At least he found us a room and made us feel welcome. The accomodation itself was very average, and it doesn't pay to strip your bed if you don't want to see the state of the mattresses!! Still, you get what you pay for I guess. George (manager) seems to be running his business into the ground. Definitely wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Cecilia B
Reviewed 1 September 2017

The owner George had assured us 3 months ago 4 of us adults had been booked in for 2 nights . When we arrived we werent booked in and Geòrge had gone overseas so not accountable . The female on the office was rude and disinterested . I must praise the nice male that was on the reception who obviously bears the brunt of Georges mistakes and made up our beds and was welcoming .He did metioned this frequently happened. Which did again the following night when 3 other family members arrived to the same fate . Bed linen was dirty and old . The worst thing I discovered was the mattress was urine stained I found this out when I stripped the bed when I left . I would not recommend this place .

Room Tip: There are nicer places in methven but unfortunately this was all we could get
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Small but neat and tidy. However, a few issues.
First of all, we booked this accommodation months in advance, going with snow denn because they were the cheapest quote we could find. We were emailed an invoice that very clearly states $450 - 13 nights - 1 room - 2 people. When we arrived, months after booking (so if they had made a mistake on the invoice they sent us they had lots of time to notify us), we were told the invoice is wrong, it is $450 per person, despite the fact that our invoice very clearly states that price for 2 people. With no where else to go, we paid double what we budgeted for. This is highly unacceptable and we will be following it up further.
Second, the beds and bedding are incredibly lacking, I can't believe that I have slept on a more uncomfortable bed. We actually ended up throwing the matrasses on the floor (which was difficult with limited room) which made it slightly less uncomfortable. THat said - if we had actually been charged what we were originally invoiced on then I wouldn't have even complained about the beds - you get what you pay for.
How on earth it is deemed acceptable to send a quote to customers but then end up charging them double when they get to your place I don't understand.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2017

If you read the other reviews, I'd say they are all fairly accurate. Both the negatives people have listed, and the positives were things I saw happening there. Ultimately it was suitable for what I wanted - just a place to sleep in between trips up to the snow field. I stayed in the non-dorm room wing, and it wasn't overly noisy though I do sleep with a rain noise app going quietly so that may have kept me from noticing anything else. Again, I will simply describe it as being good enough for my purposes and I'm glad it was not like the last backpacker type place I stayed at.

Room Tip: The rooms not in the dorm area are quieter and the wall panel heaters aren't very useful so bring some warm PJs
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
snowdennlodge2015, Owner at Snow Denn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thanks for the advice as we do try to look after our guests and have a fab day!