See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Booked a room of two bunk beds beds (four people) two weeks in advance. On arrival booking had been messed up, but we were able to go in a room for two as the other two friends found a place elsewhere. Confirmed with the person who checked is in that my brother and three friends could have a room for four the following day. On the day when they tried to check in the owner was rude, refusing to let them in the building for no real reason other than the fact that they were attending a particular event that day. Would not give them the room that had been booked and they had to sleep in the car. When I tried to talk to the owner to make sure that we were not charged for the night that our booking was refused he was agitated with me as apparently they never have booking troubles. The owner is a very difficult man to deal with and has absolutely no people skills whatsoever. The beds themselves were great, but half the powerpoints did not work, the fixed wall heater wouldn’t turn on, so we had to wear multiple layers to bed to keep warm. Also, the bathroom was not the cleanest. I don’t understand how such a poorly organised place is still running under the care of an incredibly insolent and prejudiced man. Definitely not worth however much money you may save by going here.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trek737176
snowdennlodge2015, Manager at Snow Denn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Sorry but we only take a limited number of bookings for Rodeo Weekend which this was because of the trouble we encounter with drunk unruly behaviour and vandalism. And on the night of the rodeo we do not take new bookings unless we know the guests and secure the premise. There was no booking for the brother and your friends as was confirmed by Dan the person on the front desk at the time. We supply one power point per room with a double bunk room. Heater is on timer and is off between 11 pm and 5 am. We supply extra blankets as required. Bathrooms are thoroughly cleaned daily. Tariff is $35 per person for 2 in your own room and includes free wifi and sky in a most comfortable with wood WEDj Burners Lodge and 24 hour heating in hallways and situated in the centre of town. I think this is reasonable and we have no raised our rates since I have arrived here. We love it here at Snow Denn Lodge and have so for the past 15 years but you will be happy to know I am leaving now and forever on a world trip before Christmas. Sorry to be so incredibly insolent and prejudiced maybe you should have look at yourself with words like this and maybe show some respect for other people and their homes.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Snow Denn lodge was one of our favourite places we stayed during our New Zealand trip. We stayed in the private ensuite rooms which were clean and comfortable. Owner George was attentive, friendly and kind, offering extra blankets and lots of advice on places to visit in the area. Following his advice we had two lovely days at Mount Sunday and Washpenn Falls with absolutely stunning scenery. In the evening we all relaxed by a log fire in the comfortable common area. Games and films were available to borrow as well. Great location with good access to Mount Hutt and the surrounding area and a nice comfortable stay. Reasonable price for an ensuite room too. Would definitely recommend staying here. Thanks George! :) - Eve and family

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
snowdennlodge2015, Owner at Snow Denn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi Eve....what a pleasure to have the such beautiful guests like you stay here at Snow Denn Lodge with us.....and I thank you!

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We had the same experience as the past two reviewers, we were told we weren't booked in despite booking several months ago and ringing at least three times to confirm. The young foreign woman in the office was rude and dismissive, and completely unprofessional. In contrast, the young guy who did help us out (Dan? Ben?) couldn't have been more helpful, so big thanks to him. At least he found us a room and made us feel welcome. The accomodation itself was very average, and it doesn't pay to strip your bed if you don't want to see the state of the mattresses!! Still, you get what you pay for I guess. George (manager) seems to be running his business into the ground. Definitely wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Cecilia B
Reviewed 1 September 2017

The owner George had assured us 3 months ago 4 of us adults had been booked in for 2 nights . When we arrived we werent booked in and Geòrge had gone overseas so not accountable . The female on the office was rude and disinterested . I must praise the nice male that was on the reception who obviously bears the brunt of Georges mistakes and made up our beds and was welcoming .He did metioned this frequently happened. Which did again the following night when 3 other family members arrived to the same fate . Bed linen was dirty and old . The worst thing I discovered was the mattress was urine stained I found this out when I stripped the bed when I left . I would not recommend this place .

Room Tip: There are nicer places in methven but unfortunately this was all we could get
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Small but neat and tidy. However, a few issues.
First of all, we booked this accommodation months in advance, going with snow denn because they were the cheapest quote we could find. We were emailed an invoice that very clearly states $450 - 13 nights - 1 room - 2 people. When we arrived, months after booking (so if they had made a mistake on the invoice they sent us they had lots of time to notify us), we were told the invoice is wrong, it is $450 per person, despite the fact that our invoice very clearly states that price for 2 people. With no where else to go, we paid double what we budgeted for. This is highly unacceptable and we will be following it up further.
Second, the beds and bedding are incredibly lacking, I can't believe that I have slept on a more uncomfortable bed. We actually ended up throwing the matrasses on the floor (which was difficult with limited room) which made it slightly less uncomfortable. THat said - if we had actually been charged what we were originally invoiced on then I wouldn't have even complained about the beds - you get what you pay for.
How on earth it is deemed acceptable to send a quote to customers but then end up charging them double when they get to your place I don't understand.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple