“Don't waste your money . . .”

The Panorama Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2013

When staying at The Hermitage there are few restaurant choices. Being on a special vacation, we decided to indulge ourselves at the apparently highly-rated Panorama Restaurant with its panoramic views of Mt Cook. What a mistake! We had to book through the hotel reception because according to the host at the restaurant itself "they had the booking sheet". We could only make a reservation for a late 8pm seating. We sat at the adjacent bar around 7pm and decided to peruse the menu beforehand. When picking it up at the restaurant we noticed that the restaurant was not busy at all. The host ignored our request to be seated a little earlier, and effectively brushed us off. We noticed that only one other couple entered the restaurant before our appointed time. At 8pm we were finally seated, but next to an unmade table with a child's chair left on display. The server was friendly, but the food was well below par, sparse, and totally overpriced. We were not even acknowledged when we left. Don't be fooled by the accolades; better to go to one of the cafes in Mt Cook Village and save your money and avoid frustration.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

The food was very nice - and they had gluten free bread for me too, meaning I could enjoy the spread/dips prior to our starter. The portions were quite small, but I thought it was very nice for a special occasion.

1  Thank Gemma G
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Read all the reviews and whilst staying at Mt.Cook decided to have dinner there. Not many people in the dining room - the buffet dining room was full. Service was slow and uncaring. We were told they were out of venison which we had been looking forward to, but that there was a venison pie instead, we should have realised that if they did not have venison the meat in the pie would be low quality - it was not low quality - it was inedible ! They had obviously "nuked" it in the microwave the little gravy was blistering hot and the pastry was thin and hard as concrete ! We ate one mouthful each and stopped - after about 15 mins of sitting looking at each other - the waiter eventually came over and asked if all was ok - we said no we could not eat it. He took the meal away and we sat for about 30 mins with no one coming to see us... we were then asked if we would like anything else - to which we said no we had lost our appetites. About 10 mins later a young lady came and said she was sorry they would not charge us for the mains and would we like anything else to which we replied no. Paid the bill and left. When we left the hotel we left a comment card and quite honestly expected some sort of an apology or acknowlegement that the meal and whole experience which we had so been looking forward to had been ruined. We never heard another word from them. IT was such a shame as the views and area are so beautiful. I suspect they know they have a "captive audience" and charge accordingly and it does not matter if someone has a bad experience, there are many tour groups and people who will still visit.

2  Thank JaneReno
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Well, I arrived at the Restaurant on my own and the Maitre'D knew who I was!!! Probably because I was the only person on their own. He looked after me extremely well. I had Quails Breast, Mt Cook Salmon and Liquorice Ice Cream with Hazel nut. It was a beautiful meal, beautifully served. The view from my table was up to Mount Cook. Simply stunning.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Booked for dinner on 23 Feb 2013. Restaurant was very busy with customers. Though busy, the waiter and waitresses managed to serve without much delay. Food was good as the meals were fine food quality. My wife was craze for steak after the Dunedin's incident, but frank evaluation, it missed the tenderness of the steak compare to Dunedin. Pork belly was perfect. Overall meal was good. View from the restaurant during sunset was incredible. Make sure you make early bookings as it's very popular amongst hotel guests. Very classical interior design.