Stayed at the Chalets instead of main building as we were a party of 3 and the online booking for the main hotel kept saying that they could not accept a party of 2 adults and 1 child (only 2 pax max) - was initially concerned as the chalets were down the road from the main building but we had no regrets at all - a blessing in disguise in fact as it proved to be a really cosy retreat - also right next door to the Mountaineer's Cafe if you wanted an alternative to hotel food.
The Chalets had ample parking, simple and charming inside, there was good heating, deliciously warm electric blankets for the cooler nights and a decent internet connection which unfortunately was paid (not free). Phone lines in the chalet were slightly faulty and sounded like there was a crossed line all the time and the Manuka toiletries (shampoo, conditioner and had wash) had a very unusual unappealing smell that we did not enjoy. But other than that - the kitchen was very equipped for cooking a meal if you wanted one and the accommodations and facilities on the whole went beyond my expectations.
Highly recommend booking the Star Gazing experience at the Edmund Hilary's Centre connected to the Hotel. Also do book the Glacier's Explorer Tour - I rate that the best experience of our visit that. A bit pricey but a really unusual opportunity to see the glacier's up close!
Mount Cook Village is rather short of choice on places to eat. The main Hotel has three restaurants - Panorama, the main buffet restaurant and a casual cafe that is part of the Edmund Hilary Centre. Then around the village is the Back Packers Cafe and the Moutaineer's Cafe. Both decent but close by 8pm so be sure that you are done with dinner by then.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From an intrepid journey through glacial valleys to a mouth-watering culinary dining adventure, The Hermitage Hotel is the perfect 'base camp' to discover your Peak Experience. Choose from premium hotel rooms, motel units or cozy chalets. Add world-class activities such as Glacier Explorers, Tasman Valley 4WD and Argo Tours, Big Sky Stargazing, Encounter Day Walks, scenic flights or the visual extravaganza of the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and you have a unique, year-round alpine adventure perfect for the family holiday or your next romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Hermitage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook Village
- Hermitage New Zealand
- The Hermitage Hotel New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village