The most amazing aspect of my stay at the Hermitage was the drive into the Village past the magnificant Lake Pukaki where I was able to take the most stunning photographs - very clear sunny day and mountains were stunningly reflective. We were booked in for 2 nights in their premium area as wanted direct views to Mt Cook. The room and what it provided was great. What wasn't great was that it was early September and we became acutely aware, it was not in the 'right season' as the ONLY eating facility that was open for dinner in the village was there so-called Panoramic Restaurant - with the potential to dine looking at the wonderful mountainous vista the entire restaurant was shrouded in heavy crimson drapes and the waiter was clearly in 'off season' mode and seemed almost resentful that we were there as there was only one other table and we had planned on a leisurely dinner. Apart from his attitude the food for there premium restaurant was 4/10 and in no way 'show-cased' NZ cuisine at its best. Our Glacial trip was cancelled prior to our arrival so we checked out after the one night feeling very deflated as we were contemplating that this would be one of the highlights of our Sth Island trip. This is my one and only negative review and have been reluctant to write this but felt compelled to - I would still recommend to go there, BUT in the 'right' season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From an intrepid journey through glacial valleys to a mouth-watering culinary dining adventure, The Hermitage Hotel is the perfect 'base camp' to discover your Peak Experience. Choose from premium hotel rooms, motel units or cozy chalets. Add world-class activities such as Glacier Explorers, Tasman Valley 4WD and Argo Tours, Big Sky Stargazing, Encounter Day Walks, scenic flights or the visual extravaganza of the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and you have a unique, year-round alpine adventure perfect for the family holiday or your next romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Hermitage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook Village
- Hermitage New Zealand
- The Hermitage Hotel New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village