YHA Aoraki Mt Cook
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Hermitage Hotel(Mt. Cook Village)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
The Westhaven(Fox Glacier)
Rainforest Motel(Fox Glacier)
View Hotel
Lake Matheson Motel(Fox Glacier)
Sunset Motel(Fox Glacier)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe kitchenbed dormfree saunadrying roomcommon areasmt cookprivate roomyouth hostelcleaned dailyshared bathroomextra blanketsrooms are nicesurrounded by mountainsday hikingnew zealandsmall villagetasman glacier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Mt Cook has only two backpackers accommodation options. I stayed at the YHA. The facilities are good and the place is clean. Nevertheless, most of the staff is not very friendly (one in four friendly staff in my personal experience). It was Christmas and there was no social event – no collective lunch, dinner or anything else. The village is extremely small and although most people spend the day hiking (as I did) there is not much to do in the evening apart from socializing it the hostel especially in Christmas day when everything else is closed.

If I went back to Mt Cook I would not opt for the YHA again and would probably not recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed one night at this hostel in December. Location and view breath-taking. A very big problem was the complete lack of working refrigeration for guests' food. One large cooling chamber was functioning at 18C! Two other regular fridges were just barely cooler than room temperature and the freezer was almost completely iced up. This is not good enough for a hostel with substantial numbers of guests passing through.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Whole hostel is wood-cabin style inc rooms. Had double room with shared bathroom. Room was right next to bathroom and this was very noisy! Despite signage asking people not to shower after 10pm and before 7am we were woken up frequently. Staff on reception were helpful - good advice on walks to do and where to go. Reception also sold food and essentials as there is no shops in the village really. Kitchen good size and well equipped. Laundry room available. Free parking. Recommend driving out to do the Tasman glacier walks. And walk to kea point is also nice but unfortunately there was low cloud throughout our stay so we didn't see Mt cook. I-site is good and worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is such a great place to be at Mt Cook. The moment I stepped in, I felt so at home. I was greeted with a cheerful staff and the check in was smooth. The hostel is clean, bed is comfy, bathroom is clean, kitchen is complete and the lounge is cosy. The room has a strong heater that warms up the room quite quickly. When I woke up in the morning, the first thing I saw is Mt Cook from the window of my room. What else can I say but lovely!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2011

What a fantastic time we had at this YHA (my first one!!!).. The staff were very friendly and always smiling and helping with any questions we had... The dorm room we had was spotless, the showers were hot and powerful.. the kitchen facilities were very good (cleaned daily by the staff even if not needed), TV room was very comfortable.. Great central location and would certainly recommend to anybody..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple