“Great Range and Service”

The Alpine Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, New Zealand
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Range and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The buffet dinner had a huge range to suit almost any taste - Asian, Western, Indian, salads, vegetarian, you name it. The food was all well-cooked and very tasty - I went back for seconds just to try a few more items that looked good. The range of desserts was also a real treat. Service was prompt and friendly. This was a great finish to a great day spent hiking in the beautiful national park here.

The breakfast buffet the next morning was similarly hearty and catered to most tastes - and a great start to another day hiking and photographing this scenic part of New Zealand. If you're heading to NZ, make sure that this is on your itinerary.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mikey0308

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
“Alpine average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hermitage for a week during winter, and ate several evening meals at the buffet Alpine Restaurant. Bad move really. This is just very average fare - nothing to get excited about. It appeared to be geared to the many bus groups that stay at the Hermitage. I wouldn't say that it is bad, but food wise, it was like stepping back into the 70s, and not in a good way.

• Visited July 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Happy tummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I am not a big fan of buffet because I can never eat a lot...except on that particular night when I dined at the Alpine restaurant at Hermitage hotel. I ate A LOT....I WAS STUFFED!

My dining experience was brilliant. The food was amazing and the service was top notch. The restaurant got really busy as night went on. There were big tour groups, but the place seemed organised and the waiters/waitresses all did really good job cleaning up dirty plates etc...There were lots of food choices and they kept filling up the food as soon as it's finished which was what buffet was all about. But the main thing was the view...OH MY the view!!!! Million dollar view!

I suggest that you should check in early if you wanted to be seated right next to the window. Those were the popular seats and got filled up very quickly. I was the very first person to check in...even before they started the dinner Hahaha

I was already there and thought well, it's jst 10 mins away til they started the dinner so why not try ask if they could let me in? And they did let me in which was very kind of them.
The chefs were still taking out the food and plating them up. And yeah they sat me right next to the window and asked me to wait for 10 more mins which was no problem at all. I was in no hurry and I used that moment to enjoy the view. There were no other diners so I was free to roam around the restaurant taking pics and etc ;-)

As I said there were lots of choices. And they were all yummy!!! Esp the roast meat, the baked salmon, the curry and desserts! YUMMMOOO...
Plus with that view of Mt Cook, I could sit there all night long and ate as much as I wanted.

It's $62 pp which was not cheap at all. But considering that Mt Cook village is quite remote and they could still provide such prime quality of food and service, it's worth it...every penny of it.

I went back to my lodge with happy tummy!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Poikime
Brisbane, Australia
“Good spread and good value for a family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

There are reviews for this restaurant scattered throughout the reviews for the Panorama restaurant. The Alpine restaurant does buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, whereas the Panorama is a la carte.

Firstly I have given 4 stars as the location, spread of food and table service were great. The food was topped up as required, when it ran out, which it did at times. The food was good but as some previous posters have noted, the meat seemed dry and over cooked. My family tell me the seafood was fantastic: mussels and salmon. The other dishes included roast beef and pork (looked dry, but I didn't try it, they were carved for you when the chef was there intermittently). Seafood sushi, lentil curry, tandoori chicken were some of the other dishes.

There were salads, lentil curry, steamed veges, pasta and rice for vegetarians. Nothing was noted as gluten free. I admit I didn't bother asking about that.

The desserts were lovely and included tiramisu, cheesecake, mini pavlova, fruit salad, coconut bavarois and individual ice ream pots. The mini pavlovas were the closest thing to gluten free I thought. The cheese platter had country cheese crackers and a plate of dried out looking cheese that may have been fresh but looked like it had been out for a while.

There was tea, coffee, hot chocolate from machines but no soy milk, again I didn't ask.

There were several families and I think 2 large tour groups there, plenty of room.

It cost $62 NZD per adult and we weren't charged for children. We thought that was very good value, considering the location and spread of food available.

This place is a good option for hearty dinner at Mt Cook, the spread allows you to pick the best. Especially if you like seafood.

• Visited April 2014