“Such a clean and classy place and run by lovely people!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phoenix Motel

Phoenix Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Temuka
Wakefield, null, New Zealand
“Such a clean and classy place and run by lovely people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here whilst attending a wedding and was lucky enough to get a room of my own. The kitchenette and bathroom were so clean and well-equipped. The heating was top notch and I enjoyed watching the TV from bed.

I also accidentally leaked milk onto the bedspread, but when I told the owners at reception, they were so friendly and nice about it.

Thank you for such a pleasant and enjoyable stay!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ErynMaritime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a great stay here so much so we stayed an extra night.The room was spotless and well appointed, had the best nights sleep. It is in a great location to visit the Lakes and Boulders. But the Motels biggest asset is Clare, who gave us some great places to visit, Fleurs was a highlight she also impressed us with her fantastic photography (plus handy hints). This was our first visit to NZ, it wont be our last and hopefully we will get to visit the Phoenix again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarek_11, Manager at Phoenix Motel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hello Sheila and Kevin!
Thankyou so much for taking the time to write this great review for us! We loved having you stay here. You came at the right time as the weather is getting very cold and rainy now. We hope the rest of your stay in NZ was enjoyable especially your family time at Akaroa. Love to have you back again. Take Care. Clare and Baden xx
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Loved this place. It was so clean and tidy and was in the perfect location for us. They are located in a great location and the motel is modern and stylish. The beds were comfy and there is lots of parking. The rooms are beautiful and spacious.

Clare and Baden really are so helpful. They gave us wonderful advice on where to go and what to see in the area. They are the type of motel owners that set such a high standard for everyone else.

Totally recommend staying here. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikki C
Clarek_11, Manager at Phoenix Motel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello! Thanks for the great review and making the time to write it. Sorry I havn't responded sooner I seem to of missed if!? We hope the remainder of your travels went well and you got to see lots more of our beautiful country. All the best to you both. Clare and Baden
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

As first time visitors to New Zealand we had travelled this beautiful Country from Cape Reinga to the south tip of South Island, leaving back to Switzerland out of Christchurch end of Januar 2014. We had been travelling by car and made no advance reservations for Motels. By GPS we arrived at the Phoenix Motel in Temuka and were immediately most friendly welcomed by Clare. There was no fuss made, that we preferred a room at street level although some rearrangements had to be done. We found the rooms sparkling clean and practical furnished, the bed was very comfortable. Although right next to main street, the traffic noise was not an issue.
I was throughout our trip very anxious not to leave anything behind in the various motel rooms that we visited. But at Phoenix Motel it happend, I left my electrical plug adapter behind. When I was back in Switzerland I was just curious on whether in fact I left it back at Phoenix Motel. Clare immediately responded to my mail and even offered, to send it back to me. I will probably pick it up on my next trip to New Zealand, when I will definately stay over at Phoenix Motel again. Thanks Clare, well done.

Erich, Zurich, Switzerland

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarek_11, Manager at Phoenix Motel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello Erich
Sorry for not responding! I seem to of missed a couple. Thankyou for taking the time to make this review we really appreciate it. I still have your adaptor in our drawer! A very hectic time then but our son has recovered thank goodness. It would be nice to see you again. I would love to go to Switzerland it's on my bucket list! All the best. Clare
Bridport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

After righting off our campervan thanks to a falling tree, the Phoenix Motel took us in, cared for us overnight and set us off the next day ready to continue with our travels. Spacious rooms, clean and comfortable. Good breakfast too!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Clarek_11, Owner at Phoenix Motel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hi Fiona Sorry for the late reply. We would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review, we really appreciate it! And we hope the remainder of your time in NZ went according to plan and no hipcups along the way!. I have a photo for you but I don't have your email address.
All the best to you both. Clare and Baden
Amberley, null, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Lovely room, good bed, But the constant sound from the traffic especially the milk tankers made for restless sleep although the bed was good the noise was a put off. The light from a street lamp directly across from the upstairs unit we had could not be blocked out with the curtains and also motel lighting entered room around windows and under bathroom door.
If considering staying there do not opt for the upstairs corner unit. The fact the it is "the newest Motel in Temuka" says little for the quality of sound proofing and good curtaining which is available in this day and age. Did suggest the owner spend the night in this unit and get the experience his guests are paying for. When making grading I can only go on our experience not other rooms and there sound proof qualities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Clarek_11, Manager at Phoenix Motel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Motel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
We are new owners of the Phoenix Motels and providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service is our priority. As our motel is only 8 years old and therefore built to modern standards with double glazing, and quality thermal drapes we were disappointed that you found it noisy. Should you ever visit us again we will ensure you are accommodated in another unit.
Thankyou and all the best. Clare and Baden King
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I recently had the pleasure of an extended visit at the Phoenix Motel enroute to Dunedin.
Due to a comedy of errors in respect of cancelled and rescheduled flights I stayed in three units that were scrupulously clean, elegantly comfortable with an attention to detail and surprisingly quiet considering the proximity of the main road.
As a frequent traveller throughout New Zealand the Phoenix would top my list as the most welcoming establishment I have stayed in. This is a reflection of the hosts, Bayden and Clare, for whom hospitality is paramount and whose calm collected demeanour ensures that every reasonable request is politely catered for with minimal fuss accompanied by a friendly smile.
I unreservedly recommend the Phoenix as an ideal stopover for any travellers and holiday makers journeying around the South Island.
Dave Jenkins, Barrister and Solicitor, Wellington

Room Tip: As stated all rooms I stayed in were excellent however my room on the first floor with the spa and v...