“Lots to see even for snorkellers”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of RMS Rhone

More attraction details
Owner description: Featured in the movie The Deep and one of the most popular dive sites in BVI, the RMS Rhone was a mail ship that went down in a hurricane in 1867.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Lots to see even for snorkellers”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We had hoped to dive on this wreck but had to snorkel due to ear problems. Despite that, we had a great time seeing the wreck from above. Parts of it are quite shallow, and the water is very clear, so it is possible to see the stern section quite well from above. The "lucky porthole" was clearly visible. Our 8-year old son was impressed by the size of the brass propeller. The fascinating history of the wreck made the experience all the more interesting and enjoyable. We came on a guided trip with Dive BVI; the stories they shared with us about the final moments of the ship made the experience come alive. They also showed us the burial site of the victims of he disaster on nearby Salt Island. I highly recommend this experience.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lisa M

Pennington, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“RMS Rhone Wreck Diving”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My daughter and I dove the RMS Rhone in September, 2013, with 'SailCaribbeanDivers'. It was an exceptional experience. I have done 300+ dives and dove many wrecks (in various seas on 3 different continents) and can easily say that this was one of my best wreck dives. There was so much of the wreck to see, explore and swim through. The sea-life and coral were, as they always are, very attractive and beautiful to see. Marcus, the boat-skipper, and Amie, our dive-master, provided a great historical perspective of the ship, why and how she sank, and so we knew exactly what to expect. Underwater, Amie pointed out many things that perhaps we would have otherwise missed. Another diver on the boat (who was living in the BVIs) said that she had dove the wreck about 400 times!!

Jim M

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jim M
Mason City, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous Wreck Dive”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you like to dive this is one of the best in the BVI. There are two sections for different skilled divers but incredible dive. We coordinated a rendezvous dive as we were sailing through this beautiful Caribean paradise. Incredible tropical fish, historical ship and coral. You will love this dive spot.

Visited February 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Underrated”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Dove here in September 2012 - to be honest I wasn't expecting that much. The first time I ever dove was off of Sabah (the Malaysian portion of Borneo). I was incredibly spoiled, it was beautiful. So when I went to the Caribbean for my next dives I wasn't expecting as much.

Boy was I wrong. The Rhone was beautiful. It's a protected area now and has been on the sea floor for ~150 years. The coral growth on the vessel is amazing. You can actually swim right through chunks of the hull. Large schools of fish, colourful coral, turtles, barracudas were among some of the highlights.

The dive is only ~80-90 feet at the deepest point making it reachable for divers of all skill (on the deep end for an open water diver but the deepest point isnt the highlight anyway).

Paradise Watersports on Peter Island was the outfit I went with, and the Divemaster there, Randy took a real interest in showing me everything which I really appreciated. Check out the photos for an idea of the trip.

Highly highly HIGHLY reccomended. I say underrated because I don't read much about the dive online, compared with other dive sites. While my experience is limited, I can't believe there isn't more chatter about the Rhone. Check it out you won't be sorry.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Geoff T
Nashville, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Diving the Wreck of the Rhone”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I took a fantastic trip with Low Key Watersports from St. John to the Wreck of the Rhone yesterday. The two tank dive was among the best dives ever, granted I only have like 50 dives but everyone was impressed. They take only verified divers, first dive to around 75' second to 55'. The fish life is abundant, giant Moray Eel and Spotted Eagle Ray among the sights. But the wreck itself is unbelievable. The stern in the deeper water is still very intact as much as 140 years underwater will be. There is a swim through with schools of various fishes everywhere. The coral growing on the ship is very healthy with lots of small aquatic life as well as the fish. I love to see coral thrive especially in such a touristy area. This wreck is dove on daily and yet it appears that all the dive shops take great care with it.
After an interval with sandwich lunch on board at Salt Island and a great history of it by the boat captain, Ben, we went for the second dive to the stern which is more exploded since it was dynamited off Black Rock in the 50's. the propeller, the 2nd copper one every cast, is an incredible swim through and stunning truly stunning! Again, tons of fish life, great coral.
Low Key Watersports did a wonderful job with 3 dive masters and small groups. The DMs are very skilled at finding creatures, we would have missed the Eagle Ray above us without Austin's pointing him out. The boat captain, Ben did a great job of steering us to the spots with very high waves on the way there. They also make customs and immigration as easy as possible. (Since we were going from USVI to BVI). Again, Ben gave us a great history of the wreck and Salt Island while waiting at BVi customs on the way to wreck. Ben gave great detail on the hurricane and what happened post wreck. I love that the relatives of the Salt Island were given the island by Queen Victoria and had to pay her with salt each year, which is supposedly served at formal dinners!
I would do this dive again next week if I could I so thoroughly enjoyed it!

Visited May 2013