“Sunday lunch”

Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Baslow
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Devonshire Arms, Inn and Kitchen offers good honest food, great ales and wines, 12 en suite rooms and warm hospitality for anyone seeking escape, exploration, socialising, relaxation or refuelling.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Pleasant venue with lots of different types of seating and a quirky style. Sunday lunches were very plentiful with fresh veg cooked to perfection. Limited vegetarian choice but I really enjoyed the halloumi and warm beetroot salad. A vegetarian version of the sunday lunch would be a good addition to the menu!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived a little too early as the restuarant wasn't actually open but the cute little coffee shop was, so we had a coiple of lattes and a read of the papers before we went in for lunch. A super display of tea cups on the far wall, nice old dressers painted in pastel colours, old painted tables and an mix of painted old chairs set the scene of this welcome place. The coffee shop leads directly into a lovely semi circular restaurant with high ceilings gave it a bright and airy feel. The restaurant continued around the corner and runs paralell to the main road - a very big place indeed, quite surprising as it doesn't look that big from outside. Had a lovely relaxing lunch and decided that we had found a little gem in the heart of Baslow! Service was not rushed but certainly not slow and the food was piping hot, well presented and good value for money.
Someone has a good eye for interior design as the furnishings and designs were really super, particularly the different styles of tartan on the chairs - a great touch.
We would definately return next time we are visiting the Chatsworth area, infact we wouldn't miss it for anything!

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Ok. I’m going to try and be as objective as possible here as recent experience has really soured my view of the Devonshire Arms. I have been several times with my wife, our baby and both sets of parents. Up until recently I would have given rave reviews; the food is excellent, they have a really good ethos sourcing ingredients locally and supporting the local economy. The décor is nice; I believe the place has had a makeover recently and the wines and beers are great. The only criticism I would have given would be the car park, which fills up quick and a few times I’ve had to use the ‘pay and display’ across the road. Now here’s the problem. My parents-in-law LOVE this place, they are regulars and have been looking for somewhere all of our family can have Christmas dinner. They have been talking to the joint owner Gary since June about booking, as they really wanted a special meal this Christmas, and to make sure they got it all sorted early. Being regulars and as my mother-in-law is very persistent, they have asked the question of when they can book each time the have visited (they go a lot). Gary has been straight with them, and said to ring in September and they’ll sort the booking. So September came, and they rang, over a dozen times in fact. Sometimes they got no answer but mostly were told ‘we are too busy right now, can you call back later?’ Eventually, three weeks after first ringing they were told to email Gary, as he was managing the bookings personally. Now my in-laws are have similar IT skills to my dog, so they asked my wife to email on their behalf, so we could all get our Christmas dinner booked. She did and after a week, no reply. So she called and got no answer. So she emailed again and got no reply. So we drove down to the Devonshire to speak to Gary in person and get it booked, naively thinking they just aren’t organised and this is why we haven’t heard anything. Fortunately Gary was sat at the bar when we came in, and asked if we wanted a table for lunch. When we said no, we want to book Christmas dinner he barked ‘Why have you come here to book this today, on our busiest day of the week?’ ‘Because you haven’t returned our calls our emails’, I replied. Gary then turned away, mid conversation to talk to someone else. If that wasn’t the height of his rudeness, I then asked how we are to go about booking Christmas dinner. His response. ‘You need to do it in person, and speak to me. You need to come here when I am not busy. You cannot book by telephone or email.’ Maybe I am over sensitive but both the aggressive tone of his response, and the sheer arrogance that I, a paying customer have to fit around his own personal availability for the privilege of giving him my hard earned money makes me really annoyed. Perhaps I don’t appear rich enough to grace his restaurant this Christmas, perhaps I have offended him in the past (if I have I’m really sorry I had no idea!). My wife and I were left speechless at the rudeness we had encountered, and will never return to the Devonshire whilst the current regime is in charge. If our experience is representative of how other customers are treated I suspect this will not be for long.

5  Thank backofthenet
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We ate at the Devonshire Arms on a Friday lunchtime. It was very pleasant: comfortable and with good service. The food was interesting and well cooked and the real ale was well kept. We enjoyed the meal.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Staying nearby, we visited the Devonshire Arms for 2 evening meals and were not at all disappointed. I had steak on the first occasions which was FANTASTIC - perfectly cooked, amply portioned and simply presented. Second occasion I had the most wonderful steak and ale pie. I can honestly say one of the very best I have ever eaten. The pie was encased in the most lovely light and tasty pastry and bursting full of tender meat. A huge portion of perfection. The selection of differently flavoured ice-creams, which I chose to follow, ended a perfect meal. The ambience of this pub is so relaxed and casual. Almost too reluctant to up and leave. Very pleasurable dining at a modest VFM price, & worth every penny.
Only draw-back - it gets very very full on Sundays for lunch and as it's a "when it's gone, it's gone" it's a bit iffy to leave it later. Especially as parking is a bit of a problem.