“Worth every penny”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baslow
Fischer's Baslow Hall
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baslow
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed in July for a one night 'Special Sunday one night break' and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Haddon room which had a lovely view over the gardens, a well appointed modern bathroom, a king size bed and traditional furnishings. The room was comfortable, clean and tasteful, if a little unspectacular.
Without doubt, the best part of our stay was the 'classic menu' dinner on Sunday evening. Service, surroundings and food were all first class.
Breakfast on Monday morning was just ok. Nothing out of the ordinary (mushrooms were missing as they had apparently not been delivered) and surprisingly, not even particularly well cooked. This did not put a dampener on the overall experience and we would wholeheartedly recommend Baslow Hall for a special occasion.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the traditional style of the Haddon room in the main building. Lovely view over the garde...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I booked a two night food lovers break so that we could explore the Peak District from a luxury location whilst (let's be honest) stuffing ourselves on gourmet foods and good wines.

All aspects lived up to expectations. Baslow is a great base for exploring the area. We visited Chatsworth and Haddon Hall (my favourite), several well dressings and explored the countryside generally. Bakewell is a lovely town for a wander round.

Our accommodation was excellent with great comfort, much space and a modern bathroom. The gardens (decorative and kitchen) were beautiful and well kept, and the whole setting was peaceful and relaxing. The service was exemplary.

The food was out of this world - you can see why they have a Michelin Star. We had the nine course tasting menu with a wine for each course on our first night and then the House Menu on the second - both were excellent and thoroughly enjoyed! Having said that two nights were enough - we'd "gourmet'd out" by the time we left and were looking forward to a simple roast meal.

So why not five stars? Well the price: it cost us over £1000 for two nights. I don't begrudge it - for it was worth it just the once. We will go back - but need to save up for a year or two.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a bad room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MKOxon
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My wife and I eat at Fisher's to celebrate her 30th birthday and it didn't disappoint. The food was outstanding and the service faultless.

We both chose the tasting menu, which comprised of 9 courses of locally sourced ingredients. The food was a perfect blend of fine dining and gastronomy, which left us in no doubt why the restaurant has a Michelin star.

I'd highly recommend it to other 'foodies' who will definitely appreciate the unforgettable dining experience the restaurant offers! Fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Like the last time I reviewed Fischer's I declare an interest - this is the place we were married and moreover I have been a patron for over half my lifetime.

With friends on a busy Saturday evening we started with the excellent house champagne and enjoyed canapés in the hall before going through to the larger of two dining rooms to commence our Tastes of Britain sampling menu.

The food was all wonderful, some subtle, others bursting with flavour but each course restrained in size to ensure that over the evening the total effect was not an overindulgence. If I 'had' to single out a course I would choose the Salad of Seedling Vegetables from the Garden with goat's curd, raspberry dressing and black quinoa which was amazing.

Each of the nine courses was (optionally) accompanied by a matched wine, mostly young New World but excellent nevertheless. Additionally we chose to take cheese between the 'main' and the three puddings, with a glass of port. The waiting staff were almost flawless in their execution, but we were slightly disappointed when one broke tradition to serve wine to all three men before our lady on the last course! A minor slip but noted by all and otherwise she and all the other staff were as attentive as is usual.

We finished with coffee and petits fours back in the hall, and a second cafetière appeared without prompting, before the first was empty.

Overall a magnificent dinner and a wonderful evening well worth the £150 per person after adding on the extras. We paid just as much for a tasting in the Lake District last weekend for a pleasant but much lesser experience.

I think that Fischer's is probably the best restaurant in the entire area with nothing else in Derbyshire or Yorkshire to match it, indeed it puts many supposed quality London establishments to shame - their loss is our gain!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Extremely pleasant, welcoming and helpful staff. Very comfortable rooms and fantastic food. The fixed price deals for staying the night and food are very good value for money. Also very pleased to see the efforts the hotel has made to be as environmentally friendly as possible (I believe it has won some awards also). The gardens are beautiful. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: If you want character, the rooms in the main building are probably a better option. Our more modern...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We booked a meal for 13 in the delightful private dining room and were let down by the attitude of some of the staff. This was certainly not Michelin standard. 5 of our guests were late as the M62 was closed. We were arriving for drinks at 7 for a 7.30 meal. We were told that we had to get out of the pre-dinner area at quarter to 8 and the five glasses of bubbly were filled to the top and left on the bar. When I commented to my husband that this had happened we were told that they would be 'refreshed' when our guests appeared but this did not happen. Some nibbles were put on the table and our guests were not aware that there was just one per person and so when our other guests arrived some had to go without. Our glasses too had been filled to the top despite us saying that we would pay for how ever many bottles were consumed before dinner. Our guests were all there by quarter to 8......

The food was brilliant although I have never seen scallops cut into 4 before. It was beautifully cooked and presented. The cooking was faultless. The menu was printed out which was nice but there were only two copies and there was no mention of the wines - a Crozes Hemitage and a Premier Cru Chablis. [Rather special wines which most restaurants list on the menu] I would have liked to take a menu home and was told to help myself which as I was far away I could not easily do.

We were told that the coffee would be extra and that our guests would be asked if they wanted one and that this was the reason why it was not included. I said that I did not want one and then the cafetieres were plonked on the table. When it came to the bill we were charged for everyone. The petits fours came a long way through the coffee course when I had presumed they were not coming at all.

The fact that several of our guests were late should be no excuse to make us feel rushed. 13 diners together should have been made to feel that all that could have been done would have been. This is a service industry and without diners there would be no restaurant. We had presumed that booking the private dining room would ensure that the service would be exemplary and that with a bill in the region of £1700 for the evening we would be treated very generously.

This did include one room for the night and would have included many more except that we were told that we could not stay there apart from the night of the dinner as we were not having dinner in their restaurant the second night. We could stay along with our son but none of our guests could. As it was our son's wedding the next day we could not abandon our guests who had come from various parts of the country and Europe to join us.

We were very saddened by this treatment. To have to provide our own flowers for the table was also rather odd when the cost of the dinner is on par with other 2 and 3 Michelin starred restaurants.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank CandD_13
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for a memorable two night stay at Baslow Hall.

I could wax lyrical for pages and pages about the spacious well planned rooms, the comfort of the hotel, the spectacular gardens and the professionalism of the staff but I hope my title says it all.

I cannot say that the staff met all our requests, simply because we did not have to request anything, everything was thought of already. Can't wait to return.

The restaurant is reviewed seperately but should not be missed.

Room Tip: Check out their special deals and I can highly recommend their garden rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sue O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baslow
Cavendish Hotel
The Peacock at Rowsley
#1 of 2 in Rowsley
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Been to Fischer's Baslow Hall? Share your experiences!