“Not that impressed”

Mantra Sierra Grand
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed here one night with some girlfriends as we were seeing a concert at the casino that evening. I thought that it was totally over priced for the three bedroom apartment which was right on the noisy gold coast highway. Although the apartment was modernly furnished it lacked atmosphere. The traffic noise was insane. The toilet set was cracked right across. There were only 4 chairs at a 6 seater table and with 6 of us staying there we couldn't all sit around. One night was long enough. Happy to get home.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear XBeau

We appreciate your feedback, it is dissapointing to hear that the room was not complete.
All feedback is used to improve on our standards and service.

I do hope you return to Sierra Grand and allow us to provide the stay you were expecting.
Leanne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed 20 October 2012

This is second Mantra I have stayed over the past 12 months and both have not delivered the advertised promise. I was staying with a group of friends so have had the opportunity to observe the room offerings of two single bed room apartments and one two bed room apartment. All three were in real need of 'TLC' and one in particular had furniture that should have been taken to the tip.The problem I see with the offering is you get 'pot luck' with the room alocation. Because the apartments are owned by an individual the Mantra relies upon that owner to keep the internal quality up to date and that is not good enough, the Mantra should be strict on quality standards. One of the apartments I stayed in was next to an 'in-resident owner' and there was a dog in that apartment; barking was regular. The staff are helpful and polite but the while apologies for lack of service and quality are welcome, ensuring the experience of staying is best remembered for all the right reasons; in this case they are not. At 4pm on arrival at our allocated room we found the staff had not cleaned the room nor had the bed been made. After lots of apologies by the front desk we were put into another room (two bed room) but were told that we could stay the night but would have to move out of that and into our 'first allocated room' the following day. Inconvenient to say the least. The whole experience is a result of poor initial choice on my part (my first bad experience with Mantra in Perth should have made wary of choosing Mantra again) lack of attention to detail by Mantra and overpromise of the offering.

Room Tip: Road noise is bad, South East corner rooms should be less impacted by road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank JemoMJ
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear JemoMJ

I appreciate your feedback from you stay here at Mantra Sierra Grand, we take on board the commetns you have made, we take all both positive and constrauctvie to allow us to imporve our service.

We do hope you choose to stay again to allow us to give you the break you were looking for.

Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

Mantra Sierra Grand is a nice place to stay a short walk from beach, Pacific Fair shopping centre and main restaurant strip in Broadbeach.

Rooms are nice, but in need of a refresh in terms of coat of paint and new carpet - obviously hosted many a schoolie over the last few years.

It's completely self contained, so no room service, assistance with bags or even soap for the dishwasher or washing machine. However having a small baby, it was great having a fully equipped kitchen and laundry. The indoor heated pool was also great for swims with the little one.

I'd definitely recommend getting a beach view as Gold Coast Hwy is on the other side (or if you go Hwy side - and get sunset views - make sure your room is high up so view isn't of concrete and the dated Pacific Fair shopping centre).

Value for money made this a worthwhile stay.

Oh, and there's great coffee at the 'No Name Lane' cafe in the Peppers development a 2 min walk away.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear La-Da_Melbourne

Thank you for your Tripadvisor comments, I would have to agree the ocean view units have amazing views. As you mentioned our units are fully self contained which is ideal when travelling with a family.

One of the beneifts of Braodbaech is being is close vacinity to some lovely coffee shops and cafes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sierra Grand in the near furture,

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We had 3 night s last week in a 3 bedroom apartment at the Mantra Sierra Grande in Broadbeach and whilst the rooms were modern and clean I would definately not return or recommend this accomodation. The rooms were incredibly noisy with traffic noise keeping us all awake and waking us early in the morning- definately no double glazing. And the blinds ,or e- screens in the bedrooms were hopeless and we were woken by sunlight at 5.45 each morning. We took 4 children thinking in-house movies and DVD s would be good at night. We tried the in house movie service on night 2 and it didnt work. Our phone in the room wouldnt get us through to reception so after calling using my mobile, a service man told us the system was down and he would tell the manager the next morning. The next night, our last, we decided not to risk it so hired a movie to play on the DVD player. This didnt work. After 1 hour, and new DVD machine, a new Television! and still no success we were told to try the in house movie system but it was too late with children and an early check out.There was no apology or offer to reimburse for DVD hire. Since return i have had to call 4 times now as I realised I left 2 tops in the master bedroom wardrobe. My calls were not once returned and I have just been told they have not been discovered by house keeping after our checkout despite being 100% certain that they were left .I have travelled to many countries over the world over 30 years of travelling and have never had cause to write such a review as this. We are disappointed at having spent over $500 per night for substandard accomodation and service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank catherine H
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Dear Catherine H

We do apprecaite for your feedback, this is a tool we use to improve our service to our guests.
I understand your frustrations when you travel with children and then the in house movies did not work.

I sincerley apolgise for the concerns you have raised.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I am writing to express my disappointment at our recent stay with you.

I had requested an apartment on a higher level due to reviews I had read stating it was "noisy" on lower levels. We did receive an apartment on the 13th floor (1307), a higher level, but it was so noisy that we all (2 adults and 3 children) had trouble sleeping due to the traffic noise. My husband and I discussed that the windows were obviously not double glazed….

The requested fold away bed was provided but missing several "slats" making this bed unbearable. I thought my children were complaining unnecessarily but when I tried to sleep on it couldn't, and I ended up placing the mattress on the floor for them to sleep on.

I was also unaware that the apartment was only to be "serviced" once during our 7 night stay. It was also only serviced once, when I mentioned to reception about this, after checking in , otherwise we would not have been "offered" this service. If you are going to provide a "once only" service for 7 nights or more, can I suggest this be mentioned on your website??? Also, providing extra dishwashing liquid/laundry liquid/soap/dishcloths etc. There was one packet of dish washing liquid and a scourer, not even a dish cloth provided. For a family of 5 this is insufficient.

The remote control on the television was not working and when I asked reception for 2 extra blankets I was told they were in the cupboards. I explained that they were in use and could I have another 2 for my children. I was told that the units are "privately" owned and if there are some coming back from the laundry I would get them. I never received extra blankets…….

For a 4 star "premium" resort I find the above not in line with the 4 star rating and thus were disappointed with our stay.

Another disappointment was that the above was emailed to the Mantra Sierra Grand on 27th September 2012 and to date I have had no response.....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Funster71

Dear Kate7170

Thank you for your response , firstly allow me to apologise for the lack of response to your email. I am not sure where the email was received.

The issues you have raised have been passed onto the relevant team members to follow up.
i appreciate the frustrations on the seriving of the unit , we do list all of the terms and conditions on our Mantra website, however this has highlighted an area whereby we can better our communication to our guests.

Please contact reservations or myself directly if you wish to book at Sierra Grand again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Gold Coast
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Booked for 3 x kids( 1 under 2 years old) and 2 x adults. Requested a baby cot on internet when booking. Reception knew nothing about our baby cot request on arrival.
A very spacious 2 bed apartment. Nice views on a high level. Quite modern. Main ensuite shower had large amounts of mould and definitely disappointing shower cleanliness for the price paid.
Only 4 x towels in the unit and had booked for 5 people.
Kids loved the outdoor heated pool. The indoor pool was heated, but the whole roof had paint peeling off.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Quickbeds Traveller

Thank you for your feedback , we appreciate any feedback as this allows us to improve the service we provide here at Sierra Grand. It is ashame that the information for the cot was not received from the website.

Please feel free to book with our reservations team on 5668 5105 or sierragrand.res@mantra.com.au for any future bookings.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sierra Grand.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed at the Sierra Grand Penthouse, 3 bedrooms and media room with 7 people, family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and grand parents. We had room 3002 on the 30th floor and it was just perfect for our group. The Grandparents had the main room with a large storage area and their own ensuite, including spa, which could be closed off from the rest when they wanted a break from the screaming children.

The apartment was big, all of the bedrooms were really big. The roof top area was amazing with outdoor kitchen, fridge hammocks, lounges and 6 seater spa so the kids could swim whilst we cooked on the roof. The only isse was it was a bit noisy, even 30 floors up.

The location was fantastic, straight across the road from pacific Fair, shops and supermarket so we could walk for supplies.

Would highly recommend and will book here agin when we travel there next time. We booked this with Gold Coast Luxury Rentals and the service provided was great, any issues were resolved without any issues.

Room Tip: Penthouse - 30 floors up
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AFischer73

Dear AFicsher73

Great to hear your enjoyed your time here at Sierra Grand.
Yes our location is great able to walk just about everywhere.