“Should not have a five star rating.”

Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Broadbeach
Brisbane
“Should not have a five star rating.”
Reviewed 16 October 2007

My husband and I went away for a peaceful & indulgent weekend. However the weekend was definately not that. When we arrived at the hotel, we were completely ignored by staff at the front door - not even a half smile. The room was ok, very ordinary for the price, not as nice as other sofitel hotel rooms.
When we ordered room service, the operator had to try and find a pen and did not speak professionally at all over the phone, we thought we may have accidentally phoned the local fish and chip shop.
However the food was absolutely devine, the chef's are obviously doing a great job in that department.

When it was time to go to sleep, well - we accually didn't get to sleep as the night club next door we could hear very clearly even though we were on the 11th floor. We then phoned reception in regards to this and they stated that we should get some ear plugs. Not keen on that Idea - we decided to put the air conditioner on in winter and try and drown out the sound. This was worse than the night club noise. The airconditioner sounded like and industrial fan.

Will never stay there ever again! Not a relaxing weekend at all. Would not recommend this hotel. A complete rip off I would say.

A Jameson

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank ballerina2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2007

This is actually my first shocking experience at a 5 star hotel for as long as I can remember. We were scheduled to be staying here for 3 nights, which we only ended up staying for 1. I guess being on the Gold Coast, choosing the Sofitel was the first mistake. The hotel is nice enough with a beautiful smell around the lobby and all. But that ends there. If you book on wotif.com.au, you would expect to pay around $250 or so a night for the basic room, as we had one with a slight view of the ocean, you can expect to pay around $300 on average or even more. That is I guess not a bad rate, but considering what else you can get for that rate, it is truly pathetic.

We checked into our room and found the finishing not as impressive as many of the 5 star hotels in Asia. The room was really small and the TV was even smaller. The first thing to go wrong was the air-conditioning. The tempreature would not drop below 26 degrees (it was cooler outside). After getting that fixed, we were faced with noisy next door guests. Loud talking would come and go all night. The final straw was when 8 guys were outside the room banging on the door trying to get in a 5.30 am with alcohol in hand. I guess this is not the fault of the hotel. The Sofitel may be new in that location, but the building is not and that is evident. The 5 star rating is traded on the name I assure you. Also the corridors like many hotels are sealed from within and that creates a vacum. The problem with that scenario is that the doors slam shut very loudly by having these very strong gas stays (hinges). Every door that closed on the floor could be heard quiet clearly.

When I called reception, someone soon came up and knocked on thier door. I could hear one of the guests saying that he thought the rooms were sound proof....NOT!!! There were still a few more loud talking momnets before it finally settled down. By this stage it was around 6.20 am and I could not get back to bed. So I went down stairs and spoke to the duty manager Tim. He apologised and shrugged his shoulders that it was not the fault of the hotel. As a guest I understood it, but would have appreciated it you tried in other ways to make up what was a miserable night's sleep.

At the end of the day, this is a hotel and you are a number to them. I felt the money was not worth the service or room provided. You can do better on the Gold Coast.....much better.

• Liked — The smell of the lobby
  • Disliked — The fact you are just a number to them when facing problems.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lanceheng
SOFGC, Marketing Executive at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this review, 3 December 2007
Thank you for your feedback and our apologies that your visit did not meet your expectations. After further investigation, I would like to update you regarding the issues you mentioned.

It is unfortunate that you were unhappy with the rate you paid for your accommodation. Our prices are set in line with current market trends and availability and are often quite competitive. We always endeavor to offer our guests a truly memorable experience, both with the hotel facilities and with a focus on high quality customer service.

I am surprised that you felt the rooms were not finished to your expectations. After the hotel’s $20 million refurbishment in 2005, we have received lots of positive feedback regarding the esthetics of the rooms and general hotel areas. Further more, the hotel has decided to upgrade the televisions in the rooms with new, larger, Flat screen TVs.

In regards to your comments about the level of noise within the hotel, it is regretful that you experienced this discomfort during your stay. I can only offer my apologies. In circumstances like this, we would attempt to move you to a different room. I can only surmise that the hotel was fully booked, as is often the case on Saturday nights.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel where we will always strive to exceed your expectations.
Sydney
Reviewed 11 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for the MS Tech-Ed conference that was held at the Gold Coast convention centre which was conveniently located nearby.

The superior room I got was great and overlooked the ocean on the 20th floor. Everything in the room was as expected andthe bed and pillows were really comfortable. The toiletries were the usual standard.

We only had dinner one night at the hotel and found it disappointing. It was a seafood buffett but there was hardly any seafood on offer. The breakfast buffet was adequate.

The staff were great and efficient. Would definately go back to stay again for the next convention.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Mox_Fulder
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2007

I stayed here with my fiancee for one night.
On arrival, it did take awhile to check in but I trust this is normal anywhere on a Saturday.
When we drove in, a guy came and took all our luggage and greeted us nicely. Then by the time we arrived in our room he'd delivered our luggage and everything was in a cupboard! Very impressed.
The room was lovely. Nice balcony, designed very well, nice size and really nice marble bathroom with good bath products.
Overall the room was impressive - we had a Ocean view king room.
The hotel also joined onto a shopping centre which came in handy as we went straight down to the woolworths and bought things to stock our fridge!
We had champagne and chocolate delivered to our room not long after we arrived - the champagne was lovely but the chocolates - well there were three! I'd suggest taking your own!
The buffet breakfast was wonderful!!! Beautiful food and huge variety.
Also there is a heated pool and jacuzzi so pack your togs.
Overall I was impressed with this hotel and would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Modern decoration and great pools
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TraceyT5445
Perth
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I stayed for two nights (16-20th of July) at Sofitel Gold Coast and I enjoyed every second of it. The hotel is very funky and stylish. Flower design, fancy lobby (everywhere white marble but still very modern look)
One restaurant, deck pool, is at the third floor and second "Room81" lounge bar at the ground floor is amazing. Great fine dinning combined with a cocktail bar. The staff are spot on and not uptight at all.
One thing I disliked was the slow elevator: It took sometimes ages.
However, over all one of the best properties at Gold Coast.
I can recommend it to everybody who prefer a "modern" five star.

George & Anita

• Liked — The Lounge at the ground floor
  • Disliked — The elevator are to slow
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgeAndAnita
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 20 March 2007

I attended a conference at the Sofitel Gold Coast last week. I must admit my expectations were a bit high, considering the claims/representations made in their website.

While I had a beautiful view from my room, I was disappointed that the walls were quite thin and I could here conversations in the adjacent rooms. There were also no L'Occitane bathroom products, as claimed in the website.

The broadband in my room did not work. The technician who came to check it did not know what settings needed to be changed on my laptop so I requested him to refer me to someone to help. I also left a message for the duty manager through reception (since the duty manager's line was busy) since the technician said the duty manager was in a better position to handle my problem. Until the end of my stay, I had still not heard from the duty manager.

Breakfast every day was a repeat of the previous day. Same for lunch (eg. braised lamb 2 days in a row).

An attendant came into my room on my 2nd day ostensibly to replenish the bottled water in the refrigerator. I thought nothing of it until they tried to charge me for bottled water I did not consume.

On the whole, it was a pleasant enough stay, but could've been better without these annoyances.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank SydneyVaughn
Hawaii
Reviewed 8 March 2007

I came here with my new wife for our honeymoon for a week stay. We arrived at the hotel quite early due to our flight. The staff were kind of rude, but checked us in and said they would call us when our room was ready. We went out and about, but never received a call. We came back to the hotel after check in time and they had a room for us. We booked the ocean view room, but when we got to our room we had a river view room. Note, the river view rooms are quite nice if you get a top floor. But we had paid extra for a ocean view so we called reception to move us. They said they had one more ocean view so they moved us. We got to our "ocean view room" and was horrified. We had view of a empty dirt lot and a street. You could see the ocean but only between some buildings and it was still some ways away. Well we wern't happy so we moved back to a river view room. The room with its furnishings and decorations are modern and quite nice, but if you wanted a beach feeling or a feeling like you were getting away this is not the hotel for you. The hotel would be great for corporate stays and it is right aross the road from Juipiers a nice casino. After a night my wife and I knew this hotel was not for us. So we changed hotels. Agian this hotel is nice for corporate stays and it has convient cafes and stores near by, but I wouldn't recommend for honeymooners or a romanic gettaway.

• Liked — Hotel rooms furnishings and cleaniness
  • Disliked — The feel and distance from the actual beach
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TravelingSoldier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
#12 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach? Share your experiences!