“Not for business travelers”

Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Broadbeach
Manila, Philippines
“Not for business travelers”
Reviewed 20 March 2007

I attended a conference at the Sofitel Gold Coast last week. I must admit my expectations were a bit high, considering the claims/representations made in their website.

While I had a beautiful view from my room, I was disappointed that the walls were quite thin and I could here conversations in the adjacent rooms. There were also no L'Occitane bathroom products, as claimed in the website.

The broadband in my room did not work. The technician who came to check it did not know what settings needed to be changed on my laptop so I requested him to refer me to someone to help. I also left a message for the duty manager through reception (since the duty manager's line was busy) since the technician said the duty manager was in a better position to handle my problem. Until the end of my stay, I had still not heard from the duty manager.

Breakfast every day was a repeat of the previous day. Same for lunch (eg. braised lamb 2 days in a row).

An attendant came into my room on my 2nd day ostensibly to replenish the bottled water in the refrigerator. I thought nothing of it until they tried to charge me for bottled water I did not consume.

On the whole, it was a pleasant enough stay, but could've been better without these annoyances.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank SydneyVaughn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hawaii
Reviewed 8 March 2007

I came here with my new wife for our honeymoon for a week stay. We arrived at the hotel quite early due to our flight. The staff were kind of rude, but checked us in and said they would call us when our room was ready. We went out and about, but never received a call. We came back to the hotel after check in time and they had a room for us. We booked the ocean view room, but when we got to our room we had a river view room. Note, the river view rooms are quite nice if you get a top floor. But we had paid extra for a ocean view so we called reception to move us. They said they had one more ocean view so they moved us. We got to our "ocean view room" and was horrified. We had view of a empty dirt lot and a street. You could see the ocean but only between some buildings and it was still some ways away. Well we wern't happy so we moved back to a river view room. The room with its furnishings and decorations are modern and quite nice, but if you wanted a beach feeling or a feeling like you were getting away this is not the hotel for you. The hotel would be great for corporate stays and it is right aross the road from Juipiers a nice casino. After a night my wife and I knew this hotel was not for us. So we changed hotels. Agian this hotel is nice for corporate stays and it has convient cafes and stores near by, but I wouldn't recommend for honeymooners or a romanic gettaway.

• Liked — Hotel rooms furnishings and cleaniness
  • Disliked — The feel and distance from the actual beach
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TravelingSoldier
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 January 2007

The Sofitel was a brilliant hotel experience:
The room was large, had a little balcony with a great view, and was very well equipped. It seemed as if the room had been newly renovated. The bathroom was top class down to all details.
We tried the swimming pool just before it got dark and it was absolutely perfect.
The only little minus is the need for a car to get to the very centre of Surfers Paradise.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donny1710
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2007

First time this happened but I arrived at the Sofitel on 2/1 having booking through wotif for a room with a spa and ocean view (about $550) and the booking had been lost. I was offerred a room with a view OR a spa for the same price. I was then offerred a 50% discount if I had a meal in the restaurant and finally free meals and house wine but I still had to pay for the original room. I went to Jupiters instead. Sofitel tried to blame wotif but it turns out they received the confirmation from wotif but lost it. Wotif refunded immediately.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WATravellerPerth
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2007

The Sofitel Broadbeach was fantastic. I had a great room on the 21st flooro overlooking the ocean. Fantastic! The hotel was centrally located in Braodbeach - adjacent to a shopping centre where you could pick up just about anything. Cocktails by the pool are a must - by far the best we found on the Gold Coast during our trip.

• Liked — Fantastic staff, room and facilities
  • Disliked — THere was no where to get a drink at 10pm on a Sunday. The bar closed!!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stock up at the Liquor store on Sunday night
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank krustyfries
Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Reservation
- We booked a non-cancellable Superior River View Room from 24 Dec to 26 Dec 06 through the hotel website at AUD160 per night - A bargain for a 5-star hotel!
- Also try [--]

Location
- Sofitel Gold Coast is about an hour drive from Brisbane Airport. We rented a car for AUD50/night from East Coast Car Rental at the airport - A shuttle bus will ferry you to the car rental location. The process is quite a hassle as they make you check for scratches and marks before and after you use the car. We dropped off the car in Brisbane Downtown (about 20 mins from the airport) and had to pay an extra AUD25! I recommend Europcar for car rental - They allowed us to dropped the car off at Darwin airport despite renting it in downtown Darwin. They even provide a drop box and all you do is to drop the key into it and go!
- Surfers Paradise is a 5-10 min drive - Watermark Hotel in Surfers Paradise is aweful!! DON'T trust the pictures on the hotel website as they deceived us! It is more of a motel than a 4-star. We cancelled the rest of our 3-day reservation after staying in the slump (tired room, toilet, very old carpet) for a night!

Room
- The pictures on the hotel website are accurate
- Furniture and room are relatively new and stylish
- It comes with a safe, a kettle and an ironing board
- L'occitane toiletries
- Flat screen LCD tvs but not very big in the Superior River View Room - about 20"
- Limited tv channels - about 10 channels

Ambience
- Great ambience within the hotel with stylist decors and a wonderful scent!
- Quiet and safe - You need your key card to access the lobby from the outside after a certain time

Internet Access
- Internet access is not free
- There is a cafe somewhere near 7 Eleven (across the street from the hotel) that provides internet access and print service at a cheaper rate

- Extension of checkout time was relatively easy. They allowed us to check out at 1 p.m.

Parking
- Ask for a FREE car pass even though the sign says "AUD10 for Guest Parking"

Around the Vacinity
- Many places to wine and dine around the hotel. The little Thai Restaurant across the street serves relatively good food - Don't be confused with the "fast-food" version of another Thai restaurant just a few doors down. There is a Starbucks right across the street.
- Oasis Shopping Centre (not many stores) is connected to the hotel
- The bigger Pacific Fair Shopping Mall (Myer, KMart, Target, movie theatre, clothes, shoes) is just a 10-min walk from the hotel
- Conrad Jupiters (casino) is opposite the hotel. It is a 5-min walk from the hotel or you can take the monorail

Beach
- White soft sand
- Relatively huge waves
- There may be riptides so it is IMPORTANT to check with the locals/lifeguards on patrol

I travel all over the world and this is ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS WITH A SPLENDID RIVER VIEW! We were on the 21st floor, right in front of the elevator (no noise!). I strongly recommend the river view if ocean view is a common thing for you. Sofitel in Brisbane is also quite nice but this is better. Enjoy!

• Liked — Awesome River View, Stylish Decors & Relatively New Room!
  • Disliked — Expensive internet access fee
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HappyHoilday
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2006

We spent the weekend here and it is very close to Jupiters and one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemispheres. Access to transport was easy. Room was very lovely and comfortable but very small. View was ordinary. Bathroom was luxurious and breakfast was very very satisfying and fresh on the terrace.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — The size of the room
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wisemonkeysabroad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
#12 of 32 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach? Share your experiences!