“Returned so obviously enjoyed”

Santa Anne By the Sea
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

So central with service over and above.
Was arriving late, clicked myself in due to limited reception hours. No probs. Was nervous of an early trip the next morn and there, on my desk, staff had left a highlighted direction map.
So kind. Enjoyed my stay, love Broadbeach.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank flyawayfairy
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much very kind All the Best for Know and in the Future

Reviewed 18 July 2014

when we arrived Sabrina was there to greet us such a wonderful lady she couldn't do enough for us room very clean location awsome other staff very friendly we just loved the place didn't want to leave comfy bed gd security clean friendly internet etc it has to be one of the best accomondation in the trip around Australia my Husband and I just did, soa big thank you to u Sabrina and all ur staff for all your help see u next year :-)

Room Tip: awsome accomondation will stay again asap nomater what room im sure u will be happy from room 10 an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teena H
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you so much, very kind in your words all the best for know and the future

Reviewed 15 July 2014

When we arrived around 9.30am and we were greeted by a young man who gave us our keys. He told us about the broadband wifi internet in our rooms, customer computer use in the foyer, use of the BBQ area, swimming pool, parking on the property etc. He said our room was not yet ready to view and to come back in a few hours. He said we could park our car with our baggage in their underground car park. We went into Broadbeach on foot and looked around - getting back to Santa Anne round 12 noon. No one was at reception and after waiting and waiting we took our baggage up to the room. Once inside out came the laptop and we immediately tried connecting to the internet so we could quickly Skype home. This was the first time Mum and daughter had ever been apart. Following instructions that are photocopied on the room door we tried on two iPhones (5 and 5s), an iPad Air and an Hp laptop. There was no connectivity at all. We called the front desk and were forwarded to an after hours person. They explained several things to do that may help with the internet. We followed her instructions however were still unable to connect. I then went to the main foyer where there is a computer for customers to use. It was very slow and when I checked the ‘broadband speed’ on several speed test sites it registered as dial up speed.
On returning to our room my young daughter who had been unpacking pointed out pubic hairs in the shower and the general rundown state of our accommodations. The furniture, carpets, tiles, kitchen, appliances, bed (which was a queen and not 2 singles), bedding and overall appearance were nothing as expected from photos and the write up from the Expedia and Santa Anne websites. There was faded cracked and peeling paint. The advertised 'cable tv' only had a few channels and the air conditioning was so filthy it was unusable.
As one does on holiday I had taken my shoes off. I cut my foot open on a metal strip that runs across the room that was not secured correctly. Rusty screws sticking out from the floor. The strip is there for a rickety concertina door that divides the room.
I called the front desk which was forwarded to the owner and manager Sabrina Celeste.
I explained our problem with the internet at which point she strangely became aggravated and began speaking angrily. She said it doesn’t have to be broadband it only has to be ‘WIFI’ even though on arrival we were told is was broadband AND in the lobby there is a sign that clearly states ‘Broadband Internet’. When I attempted to explain the other issues she became very aggressive. Every time I attempted to explain anything she would talk over me loudly and very aggressively. Sabrina was very rude to try and communicate with. At this point I asked why she was speaking to me like this, and had she been drinking. If I had thought that I had made a big mistake by making a small complaint, boy was I wrong! This obviously struck a nerve and a slurred Sabrina now shouted at me saying I had accused her of being an alcoholic and that she had taped the conversation (without my knowledge or permission-however if she has then once we go to court this will work in my favor). She went on to scream that she ‘didn't need people like us in her complex’ and if I don’t like it then leave. I said that if that is the case she can keep the first days fee as that was fair for booking and that I would like a refund of the rest. Once again Sabrina aggressive behaviour went up a notch and she started threatening she would send security over to throw us out of her property! As my mobile was on speaker phone my young daughter was hearing all this and was now very upset and crying. Sabrinas abusive call continued and she once again threatened sending security to throw us out. I tried to placate her and apologised if anything I had said during the conversation had upset her not knowing why she would she would be speaking to a paying customer like this. When I asked again about getting any of this sorted she said to ‘call Expedia as it was there problem’. I said very calmly (as will be shown on her recording) that I will do that and can we discuss this in the morning. She hung up.
I then called Expedia directly after this.
I explained the situation as it had just occurred.
The Expedia support centre said they would call the owner then me.
My daughter was now terrified and because of Sabrinas very violent bullying nature I thought it would be safer for both of us to leave the premises. My daughter didn't want to stay. She said they are going to come and hurt us while we sleep if we stay. She was absolutely terrified.
The Expedia person said they could not get a hold of the Sabrina.
Sabrina then called on the in room phone at the same time as I had Expedia on my mobile. I said Expedia were trying to call her. She tells me Expedia are lying as no one has called her - and they have her number.
I asked her what her contact number was and that I would get them to call her directly. She hung up after giving the number to me.
I told this number to Expedia which they told me was the number they were already calling. Expedia called again apparently getting hung up on and then getting an after hours answering person who said to call the next day.
I once again explained the unsafe situation that we were in to Expedia and told them that we were leaving.
I then called the after hours call service for Santa Anne to tell them out of courtesy that we were leaving and why. The after hours operator said she was sure we ‘should’ be safe there and that we should stay.
I did not want to take that risk with my daughter.
I asked what to do with the keys we had and the operator said to push them under the door and put the carpark key in a dropbox in the car park as we leave.
We packed the car and when I came back up made a video recording of us leaving the room in the state that it was in when we arrived including pubic hair in the bathroom, exiting the room, pushing the keys under the door, going down the elevator, dropping the car park key in the dropbox, exiting the building and entering our car of the street. I did this in the eventuality that Sabrina in whatever state she was in came back to her complex and trashed the room we vacated and then blame us.
We searched for hours trying to find accommodation, however everything was booked due to the Broadbeach Country music festival. We parked the car beside the local police station as we believed this would be the safest place to sleep until morning. We were exhausted, fearful and devastated that there are people like this in the world who are so broken that they can happily treat others like this. It was very cold. We did not think the Sunshine Coast got cold but believe me it does! In a last ditch effort we drove to Meriton Apartments which was across the block and asked did they have anything. They had just sold the last two small studio rooms they had left. Though after explaining what had happened at the Santa Anne Bobby the receptionist (lovely man) managed to find us a room. However, this cost all the money we had for the rest of our now destroyed holiday in Australia.

We were in Australia for two reasons. My daughter has had severe depression from her mother having secondary breast cancer metastasizing in the bones which is incurable. As Mum wasn’t able to travel at the moment we decided a break for our daughter and I would be the best thing for all the stress of late. We had never been on a trip out of the country together and this would be good for taking her mind off all the horribleness.
Secondly I was here to look at alternative treatments for my partner. A friend who had been to the Gawler Foundation gave us details of lectures, treatment courses and therapies that were in our budget that we were to go to on the Gold coast and Brisbane.
Because of Sabrina from Santa Anne by the Sea we were not able to do anything. A wasted trip that cost us more than money. It cost all the well being and peace we had left.
We are currently talking with our lawyer, Expedias legal department, the Australian competition and consumer commission and New Zealand’s Commerce commission to get a full refund from in my opinion a very cold and calculated woman.
I would like to strongly beg of anyone thinking of going to Santa Anne by the Sea to reconsider.
If our treatment is anything to go by - you may be next.

***UPDATE - After threats of legal action and media interest Expedia who were at no point helpful paid a full refund.
There has still been no apology from Sabrina at Santa Anne for her horrific behaviour.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank MikeMalcolmNZ
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Liar Liar Liar you forgot to mention how you were a disgraceful human, and how you were to other guests and certainly to myself , disturbing the peace of others who were having a Fantastic Holiday and we don't appreciate people like you in our building Police have been called and Others have been notified of your behaviour ,you certainly will need the help to prolong in your life.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was one of the best places to stay on Broadbeach. Friendly and helpful staff. Close to the shops and bus stops. Great price for a good location. Wifi, washing machine, microwave and the stoves all work well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Glee23
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you so much, Take care and Be well From Management

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Best place I have stayed at on the Gold Coast! The staff where very friendly and helpful, when I was there I seen the manager Sabrina help out another older guests, she went far and beyond what was expected of her to help them out, which was really good to see and her husband jimmy was a great help also. They had wifi provided which worked extremely well connected with iPhone, iPad and laptop, had no issues with cleanliness of the place was very professional. Would recommend to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay so affordable! Cheers guys will be coming back soon!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank ltarran
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you so much, much appreciated From Santa Anne by the Sea

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If it was the cheapest place to stay in Broadbeach I'd be happy for what it was like. But it's not. Part of our holiday was in Broadbeach and then surfers. After we left we found out Meritons was cheaper and serviced! Anyway Santa anne is run down. Old furniture and paint. Probably used to be nice but whoever owns it now doesn't seem to want to invest in keeping it nice. First night sleep was not good as the bed is older than I am and lumpy. We kind of got used to it by the last night but were looking forward to a soft bed later on. Kitchen is basic with very old appliances (dishwasher leaked). Seems clean but on closer inspection only on the surface. Found dead cockroaches in the closet. We took the stairs on the last day and found that they have an old cheap modem bolted to the wall outside each level which explains the terrible internet. Pool looked ok but didn't use it. In general a let down. A lot better places to stay for the money especially in Surfers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelcriticau
Sabrina C, Manager at Santa Anne By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Fine line between value and yuck is You!! it goes to show unintelligent people like you that cause problems for decent folks like us, all my years of business I have never met a man with such disturbing behaviour like you wonting to share a bed with your young teenage daughter and saying you do this all the time, also your attitude language leaves a lot to be desired hence i don't think anyone will take notice of your comments, if future guests really knew how you were under the influence of something and that you were told to leave by security after 5 hours of being in house by then you had already disturbed the peace and quiet of others by threatening staff and guests and children that were here enjoying a Fabulous Holiday with us at Santa Anne By The Sea

Kind Regards
Manager of Santa Anne by the Sea

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at Santa Anne for a month when I moved to Gold Coast. I really enjoyed my stay here. The managers were extremely friendly and helpful day in, day out. Secure parking, rooms were very comfortable and tidy, nice pool and spa to relax in and best of all you are close to everything - beach, mall, shops, restaurants, public transport, etc. I loved my stay here so much that I actually felt a little home sick after I left! Definitely give this place a go if you are looking for somewhere nice and comfortable for your Broadbeach getaway!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ali A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#4 of 7 in Broadbeach
Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast
Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast
#8 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Santa Anne By the Sea? Share your experiences!