“Lovely villas”
Review of VIP Villas

VIP Villas
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed in Villa 4, 2 adults 3 children 15/14/8 yrs. The villas (18 all together - 8 at the front of the complex 1-8 and 10 at the back 9-18) they are part of the hotel Caleta Dorada. Very spacious, throughout. You could comfortably get 10 people in. There are two bedrooms one with a double bed and the other with twin beds (down in the basement with the pool table there are three double sofa beds). All the rooms (bathroom, living room and two bedrooms) open out on to the pool area a bit strange I know but you get used to it. We had the one key and locked our bedroom door at night and the two older children had the other key to lock their door. Sleeping arrangements were a bit awkward for us the two older children went in the twin room but there wasn't enough room in the double bed to get two adults and my eight year old and we didn't want to be down in the basement away from the other two children, so to solve the problem I bought in one of the sun loungers from by the pool and made it a bit more comfortable by padding it out with the three thick wooly blankets then covered it with a sheet, job done. I managed to sleep on it but I can sleep on a washing line. Be careful of ants I found some in the wardrobe so moved the clothes out of there. Also in the kitchen, the bathroom and around by the pool. No air conditioning although both bedrooms had a fan. Bed clothes changed once during the week and villa cleaned twice. Pool cleaned and filled up twice. Plenty of towels and toilet paper. Pool table in the basement occupied the children when it got to hot for them outside. Jacuzzi a bonus I think I may install one at home cause my boys have never been so clean. The jacuzzi is downstairs in the basement it may seem strange tho it has no roof. Also down in the basement is another toilet and wash basin. The pool was great, a bit cold for some who slowly edged their way in down the steps but if you just jump right in you'll be fine. Five sun loungers and a parasol (note take the parasol down if it gets windy, we had to retrieve ours from the pool) I noticed some of the other villas had big bbq's perhaps because they were self catering, we went all inclusive (we had the use of the facilities on the complex Caleta Dorada) so we didn't need one. Big flat screen tv and dvd player and stereo system. Note be careful if you have children there are channels freely available that are not suitable for the young (if you know what I mean). There is a washing machine, dish washer, large fridge freezer, microwave kettle, toaster, four ring cooker and oven with grill, everything you need to go self catering. Double sink in the bathroom upstairs with a shower, toilet and bidet. The villa catches the sun all day. There is a safe fixed in the wardrobe in the bedroom, you are given a key for it along with your villa keys, we seperated ours. Airport noise - isn't that bad at all. Market on Sunday on the complex. There are places to eat on the complex and two little supermarkets. The walk down to the beach takes about 10/15 minutes where there are more places to eat and a few shops and a supermarket. Nice walk around to the left to the floating shop in the harbour (you can walk further around but it was too hot for my little one to carry on) Nice and clean beach with sun beds and parasols to hire. Volley ball courts a little park for the kids. The other way takes you around over some waste ground to the shopping centre (not very impressed) and more places to eat. Nice for a walk tho. Tip don't have transfers from the airport it is literally a stones throw away and taxis are waiting in abundance. The transfer company we had wasn't at all organised we had to wait a good hour for the bus to turn up and then we ended up having our own mini bus as there wasn't enough room for us (at least we didn't have to go around dropping people off) but we could have started our holiday so much sooner. All staff from the receptionist to the dining room staff, bar staff, cleaners and the pool man were very pleasant (all of them over worked the staffing is a big issue). Lots of stray cats, the complex has it's own catery I don't know if that's a good thing tbh. We went all inclusive so we had the use of the facilities offered by the hotel Caleta Dorada (see my other review on hotel Caleta Dorada)

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Room Tip: take a taxi from the airport quick and easy we enjoyed the all inclusive idea and the use of the h...
5  Thank ANDREA P
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed in Villa 12, we were a party of 6, 3 adults and 3 teenagers 16-18. There was plenty of room for all of us. Yes its true the villas are a little strange with the bedrooms leading onto the pool but you get used to, we didn't find it a problem. We experienced a bit of a heat wave while we were there so air con would of been nice. We had one fan and hired another. We didn't lock our bedrooms at night just our gates, my son even slept on the veranda outside so felt quite safe there.
I would advice getting a taxi from the airport there are many just waiting. We booked a transfer and waited ages. Aldosterone on the way home we were picked up by coach and were on it for an hour!! It is literally 10 mins to the airport. You can get a large taxi big enough for our party for 13 euro.
The Market didn't really bother us and was quite nice to just be able to walk straight out the gate. We enjoyed the situation of our villa as it was on the corner so felt really spacious
Cleaning staff are lovely, pool man and maintenance man are very efficient. We reported washer leaking and was fixed within the hour.
We did self catering and really cant see why you would do anything else. You have everything you need the villa is so well equipt!
We hired a car for 8 days so saw the whole island. There is a huge supermarket just 5 minutes drive so we were well set up for everything we needed.
We eat out as well and recommend the Zandi Bar just 2 minutes from the villa towards the back of the small mini Market. The food was lovely and reasonable. We ate at the 2 Indians and the large Chinese (the one up stairs) and they were lovely.
We also hired push bikes and went rides out along the sea font this was actually very nice.
There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the town and it is about 10 minutes walk.
We did go across to the entertainment but like others said it was plastic cups, bingo and karaoke so we stayed for 10 mins and left!
On the whole we had a lovely holiday, we did visits to the zoo, labos island and the sand dunes.

Oh airport noise! Trust me you get used to it, it's not that bad! If you have kids they will love watching them fly over

Would I go again? ( no because I think we saw everything and did everything)
Would I stay in villas again? If these were available for my next holiday I would definitely stay in them!! Good value for money

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed 3rd August 2013 - 10th August 2013 at Villa 13 all inclusive - 2 adults and 2 children 12 and 15.

In chronological order.

Do not pay for transfers - taxis are only 13 euro from the airport and our transfer didn't even turn up so we had to get a taxi anyway.

The reception staff were excellent and polite although i think the info pack they supply could have a lot more detail in it including locations of the amenities.

The villa was fantastic and we were all impressed, yes as previous posters have stated there are a few broken tiles especially in the downstairs pool table area so make sure your kids are wearing something on their feet or do as we did and place a piece of foam (from the pool ball box) over the worst area.

The pool was a good size but quite chilly for the first few days until you acclimatize. The outdoor Jacuzzi needed a run through and clean as the water in the pipes was a bit wiffy, but after that a brilliant way to chill out on an evening.

The kitchen was very well equipped with everything that you would need, i have never seen as much stuff provided anywhere before.

The living room was comfortable as where the bedrooms - if you have children i would suggest paying for the TV channels for the week as it gives the kids somewhere to chill out and get away from the sun for a while.

The maid and pool cleaning service were frequent and we never had any complaints.

Some people have stated that the villas are under a flight-path - yes it is on the approach to the runway which is about 6kms away but honestly you get used to it, the first one in was around 0730 with the last about 2145.

The all inclusive part was a let down for all of us and something that we wouldn't do here again. I would have much preferred going self catering. On arrival at the pool bar on the first night having had a nightmare with the transfer company i asked for a large beer and got 2 beers in small plastic cups. The entertainment was a bit tacky and reminiscent of Haven Holidays so we didn't make further use of that. The seating area in front of the stage always seemed dirty.

So all in all i would firmly recommend renting a villa but only on a self catering basis (there are plenty of supermarkets close by) I would also recommend hiring a car, we did so for the last 2 days, the island is fantastic to explore, with the fabulous beaches in the south of the island to the breathtaking mountains to the west.

Final tip - don't do the market excursion on a Friday to Corralejo - the market comes to your place next to the villas on the Saturday morning and is bigger.

Room Tip: Villa 13 was particularly private and not overlooked as were some of the others.
1  Thank christopher c
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here in August 2013 ,the villa itself was very very clean and all staff. We're very friendly
The villa had a very odd set up with all the bedrooms situated outside and you have to lock up each bedroom, another concern for me was the bathroom was also locked on the outside ,so had to get up unlock bedroom door go outside and then unlock bathroom door I didn't like this as I get up every night, If kids need a toilet then they would have to do the same! My children were older so had a key to lock and unlock when they wished.
Would never do all inclusive here again the food was disgusting ,with not much of a range , there may have been lots of food but most was in edible in my personal opinion, my husband didn't mind it as there was salads and rice and he likes that, definite downside no bloody bacon! I was looking foreward to breakfasts too. My husband wouldn't like to eat here again either.
We went out for a couple of breakfasts and a couple of meals as I didn't like the food.
In summary actually villa itself for me with older children was good it was clean and staff friendly
All inclusive avoid
Entertainment pretty average again we didn't stay for any of that

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 10 I think this was better situated than the others very close to amenities and e...
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have just returned from a fortnights holiday with family friends, spending two weeks at VIP Villas on an all inclusive holiday. The accommodation was dated but very clean and the cleaning and pool staff very helpful. It stated that there were three restaurants, but two have been closed for over 3 yrs. The one that was open was like being in a very poor canteen, the food was the cheapest of the cheap, quite often cold and with no variety, to such an extent that we ended up eating out quite a lot. The entertainment was a karaoke or bingo, I never saw an act. The bar would only allow you to get two drinks in 'Plastic Water Cup' at a time, so this meant that instead of one person going for around everyone had to go. After 11pm you have to pay for drinks. The Hotel is a reception area were there is WIFI but so poor that we had to go to McDonalds. Whilst it was ALL INCLUSIVE if you wanted another fan, it was 15 euros, if you wanted internet it was 35 euros or so a week.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Wardy1957
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We spent 10 days here in July and were happy in general with the villa. As others have reported they are a bit dated inside however since we spent most of our time outside around the pool, we weren't too bothered. The villa and pool were cleaned regularly by friendly staff, and the villa was well equipped. On 3 occasions we phoned reception to report faults and these were dealt with very quickly, less than 1 hour.
One drawback was the lack of air-con and no fans - we had to hire these from reception. Another drawback was the aircraft noise - didn't realise we were quite so close to the airport and the planes come over every 5 minutes from 7.30am so not ideal for those who like a bit of a lie-in.
Our biggest complaint was the Saturday market - we were in villa 15 ( and Villa 12 has the same issue ) so the pool and the doors to all the rooms look on to the car park. On Saturday morning we woke up to find a market being set up outside our villa with strangers looking over into our pool area and a stall so close we could hardly get out of our gate - it would have been impossible if we'd had wheelchairs or buggies. We felt very uncomfortable at strangers leering at our teenage girls while they swam and eventually went out for the day. On complaining at reception about this lack of privacy and security in a private villa, they said there was nothing they could do as the carpark is owned by the local council.So be aware of this !!!!!
We were half board so meals were at Club Caleta Dorada - the restaurant was busy but staff were always clearing tables. There was a good choice of food which was of an acceptable standard - breakfast choices were English breakfast, pancakes, cereals, omelettes, meats & cheeses, breads and fruit. Dinner had a choice of 3 hot main courses with plenty of veg and salad, desserts and ice-cream so enough to suit us but it was a shame not to find more Spanish dishes.
So, we did enjoy our holiday but was it VIP? No. And would we go back? Again, no.

Room Tip: Avoid the villas overlooking the carpark due to lack of privacy and problem of the Saturday market r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family