“Disappointed”
Review of Caybeach Caleta

Caybeach Caleta
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Cay Beach Villas and we were extremely disappointed because we went AI and we expected that everything to be included,but this was not the case. You had to pay for the TV remote control air conditioning and water unless you only wanted a glass full.
We have been to lots of AI hotels over the years and we have never experienced this before.
To be fair the the alcoholic drinks and soft drinks were fine but most of the meals were poor. Not a lot of variety. There was a fish dish every night which I found mostly to be luke warm and dried up. Some of the meat dishes were a bit better but never very hot. The salad bar was poor mainly consisted of some lettuce tomatoes cucumber onions and beet root with pasta swimming in oil. I have more variety at home when I make a salad and I certainly expect better when Iam away on holiday.
The dining room needed a good clean I accidentally spilled some food on the floor one evening and we sat at the same table the next morning and I noticed the food was still on the floor.
The dining room is no better than a self service cafeteria the tables are set out with a knife and fork plus a serviette no side plates or condiments. In fact there was at least 50 tables and only 4 salt pots and one pepper pot to go round so every time we needed the salt it was like playing a game called "hunt the salt pot"

We didn't take any beach towels so because in the past we have always had them included for a refundable deposit I was hoping this would be the same here and to our surprise it was, but wait for it the catch was they were only changed once in the 10 days we were there. We have never had this ever before we have always been able to change them daily.

The villas are ok but nothing plush if you are self catering they are fine. The beds are rock hard if you don't have a bad back before you go you will when you finish your holiday. The floors are very slippery when wet so be careful after coming out of the shower.
The villa were not cleaned for 2 of the 10 days we were there and sheets and towels only changed once not enough for us.

Having said all that the resort itself was very good. Lots of lovely shops and restaurants which we sampled because the food was so bad. So consequently this holiday turned out to be expensive so be warned.
We met a lot of lovely people who shared our opinions on how poor the AI was. Although we would consider returning to Caletta itself we would not be returning to Cay Beach Villas in a hurry

Room Tip: No tip rooms are not very private and no outlook
4  Thank mary h

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We basically used our 'bungalow' as a place to sleep and it was absolutely fine. We went self catering and the facilities were also absolutely fine for what we wanted to eat. On arrival at the airport we followed previous reporters' advice and took a taxi. Only 5-10 minutes drive, and under 13 euros, and we were there. Excellent! After booking in at the very efficient reception desk we did a quick recce of the bar and pool area and I'm afraid I was positively underwhelmed. The bar area resembled a 1950s cafe, and the pool area looked crowded. That, together with the music blaring from the bar out into the pool area at the time meant we never returned. We spent our time on the excellent nearby beach. More space, more relaxed, more fun - though the sea was definitely on the chilly side (but what can you expect, it is the Atlantic!) I'm afraid I also cant comment on the food as we either ate in our room or at one of the selection of restaurants that are close by. The room was clean and adequate, though there was absolutely no view - other than of the next bungalow's bathroom window. Because of the prevailing wind and the site of the large patio area we ended up with lots of plant debris on a regular basis, which was a bit irritating. No loungers on the patio area sadly - I'm almost ashamed to admit that one afternoon we did take the sofa bed cushions out for a couple of hours to lie on. We found we didn't need the aircon as a through draft kept the bedroom cool at night. As other reviewers have mentioned, do check out Pieros. Excellent entertainment on the 3 nights we went there. Lovely walks along the sea front, both left and right. Just round the headland to the left a completely different view of rocks and pounding Atlantic rollers. Lovely. The planes going overhead to land were absolutely no problem. I did think that 18 euros for the week was a bit steep - and I got logged out after 3 days (luckily I had kept my password details) and again after 6 (by which time I HAD lost my password details, but couldn't be bothered to make a fuss as we were returning home the next day). All in all we had a lovely, relaxing time. We had never been to Fuerteventura before, I'd go back to the island, but - while there was nothing horribly wrong with the hotel - I don't think I go back to Cay Beach.

1  Thank Unamae
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I arrived to Cay Beach on the 2nd July and I'm currently half way through my holiday due to leave on Wednesday. We arrived around 1:30pm where we were greeted at the reception the man was really lovely and polite and checked us in and made us a route on how to get to our apartment, however they do take your passports when you first check in and they are currently still with the receptionist, I'm not sure if this is normal? The rooms are clean and a reasonable size, there are a few tiny ants around but they can hardly be seen and it's normal when you go to a hot country like this. The showers powerful and big and doesn't take too long to warm up!
I read many reviews before coming here and at first I was wondering what I would find, but it's actually really nice and relaxing! it's very family orientated though! I do recommend this place if you come to fuerteventura you get what you pay for really and I advise you to go for self catering as I've heard the food isn't that nice but I haven't tried the meals so I don't honestly know! It's also close to the shops and there are a few super markets around for you to buy food for your apartment or snacks. Overall it's a great stay so far:)

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Katy C
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at Cay Beach villas from 25th June for a week, as a couple. We stayed all inclusive.

The villas themselves are clean and spacious. The room had a decent kitchen, with a microwave, kettle, toaster, filter coffee machine and decent crockery/cutlery etc, which would have be fine had we been self catering.
Rooms were cleaned 5 times whilst we were there.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The pool was lovely. Ok as someone stated, the tiles had wear and tear and probably needed a bit of re-grouting , but the pool itself was clean and perfect for a cool off!
There are plenty of sunbeds to go around and a large amount of decent parasols too. Yes some people did reserve the beds/parasols which meant that daily announcements were made to not reserve them but even then, there were more than enough to go around.

The alcohol for AI was local but decent. The cocktails/beer were lovely and bar staff very nice.
The food was a bit hit and miss. Breakfast was without doubt the best meal of the day. Lots of selection for usual English breakfast, plus the standard continental breakfast and cereals etc.
Lunch and dinner were of a less standard. But to be honest I think this is because they are catering for less people, as most of the guests are S/C or bed/breakfast.
However, there was always something to eat. Fresh salad, at least one fish dish, fresh pasta and sauces. There were no chicken nuggets or chips in sight, which was good.

Unfortunately the entertainment at the hotel was very poor. So much so, that we went out on at least 4 nights. I would definitely recommend a trip to Piero's music cafe, in the main commercial centre shops. This place is fab. Great staff and entertainment. Brian "crazy legs" was an absolute hoot. However, the hotel had a new entertainer who was going round asking us what they could do to improve it, so hopefully this will be resolved as we head into school holidays times.

Yes you are staying under a flight path, but you honestly don't notice it.... We have been to Caleta de Fuste twice now and it's not an issue.

All in all, I would say we had a fab holiday.

Unfortunately there were the usual British moaners, where nothing is right for them. Moaning about entertainment for the kids and the fact that the hotel don't want inflatables in the pool and anything else that they could moan about. The inflatables restriction was actually quite nice to see, as there was more than enough room for all the kids and adults in the pool) . It didn't affect the kids having fun and all seemed to be v happy.
The way that some of them spoke to the staff was disgusting and I felt embarrassed to be English at times. There is no pleasing everybody though.

I would recommend the place for self catering really, but would say its a great bolt hole for families and couples alike as it's so close to amenities.

10  Thank Vicbrizzle
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have just returned from a week at Cay Beach Villas. One month ago we stayed at Sensatori Egypt, whilst that was plush etc, this place beats it hands down. Overall it was a great experience but there were a few negatives too.

The transfer.

On arrival at Fuerteventura airport we were quickly shown to the coach which was to take us to Cay Beach. Our cases were put on the bus and we took our seats, and waited, and waited, and waited, we ended up waiting for over an hour before we eventually got off on our way to the hotel to begin our holiday. Never at any time did anyone bother to explain why we were waiting, we sat alone for one hour before anyone else actually got on the bus, and then it look about twenty minutes for the rest of the people to board. Later we found out that we were the only ones on the flight from East Midlands airport to be staying at Cay Beach Villas, so we had to sit and wait until another flight came in an hour later from Luton, before we could be taken to our accommodation. It wasn't a good start and we consider this to be totally unacceptable. If we had known this then, we would have got a taxi. I would urge anyone, to get a taxi anyway as its so cheap and by the time you have been faffed about you can be unpacking in your accommodation.

The Villas and complex
The villa was lovely on arrival, very simple very clean and very private. The living room has a sofa which converts to the third bed and is very comfortable, and the bedroom has twin beds which, lets say, are challenging since they are so firm, my husband likened it to laying on an ironing board, but the bedding was spotlessly clean and changed mid week.There is plenty of hanging space and storage and also a reasonable size. The air conditioning which we paid for is not really adequate for cooling the living area, so my son who slept in there had some hot nights in spite of the fact that we left the bedroom door open so the cool air could circulate. The outside patio is a good size with an airer to dry clothes and towels and there is a table and a couple of chairs. Its very private though, and we were fortunate enough to be near the pool. The pool area is also clean, and the pool itself was crystal clear a good indication that it is being cared for properly. The loungers by the pool are not all that comfy though but adequate, and plentiful. Each day a man comes by the pool and gives a little speech on how hot the sun is and how you can care for your skin, I have never known this before, however he did have a table of products which he appeared to be promoting. We went self catering, and I am so glad that we did. We only had one lunch time by the pool, where we had a couple of cheese toasties, they were okay, no salad garnish or anything fancy just two slices of bread and a cheese slice toasted, it tasted alright, but it did cost six euros for the two sandwiches. On reflection its a bit steep. The bar area looked awful. It was clean but resembled a cafe, with gaming machines etc. I really would not have wanted to spend every evening sitting in that bar. So as I said thank goodness we were self catering, there are lots of lovely restaurants and bars to eat. Breakfasts are served all over the place and very reasonable. The town is a matter of minutes away with a handful of bars cafes and restaurants, we spent most evenings in the Piero's bar where they do tribute acts its a good night in there.

All in all what we paid for this holiday is far less then we paid to go the the Sensatori but the relaxed atmosphere and ambiance of this complex is delightful, we will definitely return and hopefully next year we shall be bringing all the family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank myrtle532
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Rooms good size we had one right at side of reception they were well equiped for self catering even though we did not eat in room on second night we noticed very small ant type insects on the wall mainly running between plug socket n light switch all over work top & hob also some dead ones stuck on a cob web in bathroom in corner half way up between sink and ceiling also seen odd 1 or 2 on bed. We did complain n was told this is normal due to being in hot country n they would tell the cleaner to spray room that day. Dont think anything was done about this as we had these insects the whole week and as for the cleaner cleaning the room those dead ones in cobweb were still on bathroom wall when we left 7days later on the odd day bed was made but floors were'nt swept. Was nice and quiet on a night only time we heard anything was during the day. The man on reception was friendly and polite the ladie who was on late afternoon n evening was unfriendly and definately not polite. Pool was nice and big yes there is plenty of sunbeds they were to squashed together. Cant comment on food or drink onsite as we ate out every day we only used the pool. The area itself was pretty quiet when we got there but by end of our week seemed to get busier.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here in June 2014 with my husband and two children aged 8 and 6. After reading some of the reviews we were a little dubious about what we would find. Actually, it was fantastic for the price we paid and could not fault it. We were AI and for a 3 star hotel I thought the food was good. There was always plenty of choice and we enjoyed every meal we had, even the kids enjoyed it, who can be very fussy eaters. The snacks at the pool bar were also delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful. When we arrived the pull out bed was broken. I reported it to reception and a new bed was in our room in about 10 minutes, can't complain with that. We had a few problems with the safe not opening but agian this was fixed straight away and the staff could not do enough to please. The pool area was nice with plenty of beds and parasols. The kids really enjoyed playing in the pool and the water quality was checked regularly by staff. The only real problem around the pool was with people smoking, even though there were signs up saying it was a no smoking area. A little more consideration from some of the guests would not have gone amiss, especially as there were designated smoking areas near the bar. There were also a lot of people reserving sun beds in the morning which was annoying, especially as there were plenty anyway. There were signs up saying this was not allowed and it would have been nice to see staff enforce this. There were some guests complaining as inflatables were not allowed in the main pool (due to safety reasons). Can't say this bothered my kids though, they just went and played with them in the kids pool. The rooms were very clean and maids did a fantastic job. They are also well equipped and very comfortable to say in. There was one entertainer who, to be honest, did not do a great deal. Just wandered around during the day and sat at the bar area. We went to the Mini Club which was advertised but there was nobody there, we saw the entertainer 10 minutes later playing on the computer games in the bar! The resort itself was fantastic. Lots of lovely shops, bars and restaurants (but cannot comment on the quality of these as we did not use them). The beach is perfect for the kids with a play area, toilets, rocky parts for crabbing etc and very safe and shallow for them to play and swim in. We all really enjoyed staying at Cay Beach and will definitely be going back next year.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family