“Lovely Tapas Bar”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: under the Hotel Castillo Suites next to the kings arms
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Off the beaten track the El Meson Gallego offers a great selection of Tapas at a decent price. Tried several of their dishes that vary between 2-5 euros all of good quality. They also offer different sized portions of tapas so you can order a larger helping of your favourites. Nice relaed atmosphere and good service. Recommended for a real taste of the canaries.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This little tapas bar was bolted on the end of our Hotel and made an ideal spot for some lunch the first day we got there. They have a huge tapas menu and even if there is something you want that isn't listed the chances are they can do it for you anyway. Great prices and service as well. Perfect for some authentic Spanish food.

1  Thank Norwich_Tractor_Boy
Reviewed 19 January 2013

The place only open in the evening even they advertised they open from 11am, it is January doh. However, it is a quiet place, not many walked bys, tapas are really cheap, 1 Euro for salad 2-3 Euro for seafood and meat. It is no gourmet but it is nice home fresh cooking. I was on my own when I discover the place to my delight because I could eat 4 small tapas at once. I had 3 seafood and 1 salad and a small bottle of water, bill came at 7.90. bargain!

Reviewed 15 January 2013

As the title says, this is a little gem in Caleta, The food is truly authentic and fantastic. We could not believe the price we paid for a lovely evenings eating and a few drinks. Do give it a try especially if tapas are for you.

2  Thank puheen
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We were attracted to this unassuming tapas bar situated below street level near the entrance to a beach at Calleta De Fuste by seeing Puntillas [fried baby squid] on the menu. This is our favourite dish whenever visiting Canaries / Spain and is alternatively known as Chopitos or Chiperones in different areas [However if someone can define a difference between the three please let me know]
You can either sit outside at plastic tables or inside in what I would describe as a typically Spanish restaurant/ bar. The menu allows you to have every dish on it either as a Tapas or a half racion [double size of tapas] or racion [guess what size] so you can mix and match.
During the 5 times I visited I tried nearly everything on the menu including Black Pudding with peppers, Peppers De Padron, local cheese with jam,mussels and canarian potatoes, obviously. But my favourites were the garlic mushrooms, sizzling prawns and of course the Puntillas. On the first visit we tried most of thabove [tapas size] + bread and a drink each and were amazed when the bill was onlt €16.
During my 5 visits, one lunch and four late afternoon snacks, I tried the house red wine [ok], the house Rose [ok] and then two non house whites which were the best two whites I have tried in Spain for some time. We were served by a young Spaniard from Northern Spain [via a spell in Hampshire], Josh who was extremely chatty and helpful and allowed me to taste all wines before commiting to a whole glass!
I wish him every success in building up this business and would encourage anyone visiting Caletta who likes Spanish food to give it a go

1  Thank SteveBury