“Great Holiday”

Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The Hotel was immaculately clean, very cool and spacious and its location next to the beach was superb. The food was fantastic, everything from suckling pig to chocolate fountain and was always maintained and topped up throughout the service. Apart from the three meals in the restaurant, there was also a buffet running from 10am until 5pm in the pool bar, this included bacon rolls, hot dogs, fresh pizza, salad and included ice creams. After reading some reviews about the food being repetitive we had planned to eat out one evening but all agreed the food was just too good and saved our money. Drinks were easily accessible from either the bars or a self service area, which again was always clean. I was surprised at the quality of the drinks, with bottled beers, cava and most cocktails all included. We found the staff polite and helpful but it’s a large hotel and if you want to be waited on hand and foot it’s not the hotel for you. The entertainment was ok not great. Our room was again very clean, large and well set out. There were two familys in our group including teens and we agreed we would recommend.

5  Thank Tedherts
Write a ReviewReviews (9,055)

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Nice hotel overall. We stayed All Inclusive for 10 nights in May 2011. The restrictions were that you could only eat certain things off the menu and at certain times you could not eat at the pool bar - the main dinner time from 1-3pm! The food was ok and a few options, but catered too much for carvery and chips with everything people. Drinks were very slow in being offered and arriving in the restaurant and the bar staff were very over careful with the times, i.e, you could not order a drink after 11pm, my friend asked for a drink at five to eleven and was refused! The evening entertainment was no where as good as led to believe, the african show with the acrobats was by far the best - really great!! There were no outdoor seating area's for in the evenings, even the pool bar closed its doors. Oh and the most rude person we came accross was the lady in the spa, very off hand and made me cancel a treatment i had booked, didnt want to give her our money! This was a good holiday overall, played tennis and mini golf etc... but we have stayed at better and for less money.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a quiet one, they put us on the end next to the maids/laundry room, noisy everyday all...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jushei
Reviewed 25 August 2011

have just returned from the barcelo fuerteventura and although the hotel was nice, I dont think I will be returning. I agree with other reviews that the hotel could do with some updating and a bit of a refurb. location yes it was close to the beach, but all the reviews I read on costa caleta beach failed to mention the rocky sea bed which my small children did not appreciate. we did take the 20 minute walk each day to another man made beach around the next bay which was a sandy beach and in the sea. shops and restaurants were close and convinient. food at the hotel was plenteyful and varied. the plates and cups were very well used being that most of them had chips out of the them and were not always clean. Attention to these sort of details would definatley improve this experience. There are signs up around the pool and in the information leaflets in the rooms about reserving sunbeds with towels which no one pays attention to but we never had a problem finding a sun bed. inflatables are prohibited in the pools but no one enforces it either. wasnt to much of a problem but do think that they should be monitored more closely in the small baby and toddler pool. 2 man dingys etc and people playing bat and ball when babies and small children are splashing around was very of putting and sometime I thought dangerous. If I ever went to this resort again I would probably choose a hotel closer to the sandier beach around the next bay.

1  Thank sarah m
Reviewed 24 August 2011

On 3 August 2011 my wife and I, together with our daughter, son in law, and 2 grandchildren, a boy aged 12 and a girl aged 6, went to the Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spar for two eeks.
Access to the rooms was by swipe card issued at reception on arrival. We requested and were issued with 2 cards for each room. This computerised card is cancelled when you vacate the room.
At approximately 2.45am Sunday 14 August our daughter and her husband were asleep with their children when they were awoken by and intruder in the room(he had clearly let himself in though the door with a card). When challanged he quickly escaped removing the card from the wall, leaving the room in darkness. This was reported in person to reception who said it would be logged. By this time the intruder had gone.
The following morning Dave(Son-in-Law) reported the incident to the Thomas Cook Rep who clearly took the matter very seriously and requested a meeting with the manager but he wasn`t available until 6pm(very convenient). When they did see him he said that a 3rd key had been issued and that Rachel or Dave must have requested it. The manager was asked what time the computer showed the 3rd key was issued.he replied 2.30am that morning. The computer also showed that the room was entered 8 minutes later. When Dave told him that they had not requested a key and why should they want at that time.. The manager then went on to say that it was believed a drunken man has requested the key. It was the pointed out him that the night receptionist could not possibly have obtained proof that he was issuing the key to a genuine occupant of the room. With this the manager said he would make enquiries and let Dave know.
Never once did he attempt Dave or Rachel and despite several requests at reception to see him he was always unavailable.
As far as we are concerned the person who issued the key should be dismissed as they are quite clearly a risk to the security of people staying in the hotel. The manager should be severely reprimanded for his lack of concern. If it is standard practice to issue replacements this way he should also be dismissed.
As an aside it is worth bearing in mind that a genuine key, even if isssued wrongly will not only open the electronic lock on the door but will also open the manual `dead lock` that can only be put on when you are in the room.Even a master key wont do this. This is standard in all hotels. I can see the reason to a certain extent but you are not as safe as you probably thought you were.
My wife and I have been holidaying abroad for the best part of 40 years and never before have I felt the need to `go to press` about anything

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
19  Thank richardg134
Reviewed 21 August 2011

First off I would like to point out that I would of found this hotel absolutley fine had I not been so spoilt in an Iberostar in the Dominican Republic last year, I couldn't help but make comparisons.
This was the 2nd time I have stayed all inclusive and unlike the Iberostar the Barcelo was not fully inclusive, some drinks you had to pay for?? not very good, I had to keep checking the drinks menu to make sure that the drink of choice was going to be free.
Overall the hotel was very clean and really lovely surroundings, beach was literally a few feet away, shops and restaurants a few feet in the opposite direction.
I can wholly recommend going to Pieros around the corner as this was a fab night when Sadie B was on, although we spent a lot of money in there, it had to be done due to the hotels entertainment not being our thing, some nights were ok others not so much.
The other thing that niggled at me was that all inclusive stops at 11pm, so it was either go out and spend money or go to bed.
I think the hotel will be great for families but not so much for young couples like me and my husband.
I am really trying very hard to be as positive as possible and all that comes in to mind when I think of this holiday is that it was ok, certainly not bad but not fantastic either.
I stayed in Block 2, I did request block 3 but didn't get it, but found my room to be absolutley fine, had no problems with it at all, no noise disruption of anything like that. Cleaners came in everyday and put in clean towels and made the bed which I thought was really good. The minibar just had sparkling water in, would of preferred still water but hey ho.
I recommend you go to Atlantico City shopping centre, some great bargains to be had there, it was about 10 euro in a taxi from the hotel.
Any questions let me know :-).

Room Tip: I believe Block 3 is meant to be the best but I stayed in Block 2 and had no problems.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sassyblue3
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This was our third family holiday at this hotel. Many of the familiar features are still there and still good. I'd recommend it as a family holiday destination. But the whole hotel is now probably in need of a little bit of investment as some of the decor etc. needs a lift. That should not take away from the good pools, family entertainment programme and friendly and helpful staff you find there.

4  Thank Md0lan
Reviewed 17 August 2011

If you like all inclusive family holidays then this is for you. Very clean, lots of food at a reasonable quality, good accommodation. Good position in the resort. However, we felt the hotel was too big for us, making it a little impersonal and was difficult to socialise with other families. The animation/entertainment team worked very hard but didn't make any effort to get to know their customers or encourage participation in activities. One major downside for us was the cloud and wind, making it too cold in the morning to sit round the pool. The pool was also very cold.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms will also have sea views
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo

Been to Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!