“Perfect Relaxing Holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect Relaxing Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Barcelo; the first was the same time last year.

We stayed in a superior room in block 3, I think all superior rooms are in 3. As far as I know all the rooms are the same size; it’s the package that comes with a superior room which sets it aside. Superior room includes, free wifi, bathrobes and slippers, entry to the Thalasso spa, pool towels etc.

For those who don’t want to read a long review here are the main points. Reception staff excellent, check in quick. Rooms have everything you cold want; great beds, nice balcony, great bath and shower, mini fridge, safe (extra charge 3 euro per day) and flat screen telly with English channels. Rooms cleaned daily, towels changed daily. Food, excellent, hard to find fault. Bar; great drinks, friendly staff, almost no waiting. Plenty of sun loungers by the pools. Pools very cold. Shops and supermarket 2 minute walk away. Overall excellent, highly recommended.

Here are the details:

Check in was completed in just a couple of minutes and as we arrived around 7pm it was a quick unpack and off to the bar for a pre dinner snifter. The bar is great, well staffed with normally 4 or 5 cheery bar staff and a great choice of drinks. Even when the bar was full around evening entertainment time the longest I waited for a drink was about a minute, much less than a city bar in Glasgow. We went all inclusive and there was plenty to pick from the drinks menu, there were some premium name drinks that could be ordered for a small supplement but we didn’t find that necessary. I drink whisky and they had J&B, Johnnie Walker Red and Ballantines all on the AI list. My wife tried the cocktails and liked them and the local version of Baileys, which she said, was almost like the real thing. If you don’t want to wait at the bar take a seat other staff will come and take your drink order.

The restaurant was excellent. It’s a big busy hotel but we never had to wait for a table. Dress is very relaxed for breakfast and lunch but men are expected to wear long trousers for dinner. The food is by far the best we’ve experienced on all-inclusive. Breakfast is a selection of yoghurts and cereals and all you need for the full fry up with a choice of eggs, boiled, scrambled, fried and omelettes cooked to order. Alternatively there are the makings of a continental breakfast with cheese, cold sliced meats, salad, pastries, jams and fruit. There is a massive selection of bread and rolls. Waiters will bring pots of tea or coffee to the table. There is a choice of about 5 different freshly squeezed fruit juices. Lunch and dinner were both great. There is a chef frying fresh meat and fish, the meat in the week we were there was mainly chicken, pork and veal. There was always a roast being carved and pizzas being baked fresh. Apart from the fried meat there was always a large paella type rice dish and a few casseroles such as goat or rabbit and normally some kind of bean stew. There are always Canarian potatoes with ali oli, chips, mash and a good selection of vegetables. If you fancy something lighter there is always a massive selection of salad and pickles with cold meat, cheese and a fish. Hot and cold soup was on offer at each meal, the gazpachio was lovely on a hot day. There’s also a huge selection of pastries, cakes and puddings. They have a small ‘kiddies corner’ which has things like mini burgers, fish fingers and chicken nuggets. At lunch and dinner waiters will come for your drink order, there is a wine, beer and soft drinks included in the AI. You would have to be ridiculously picky not to find something nice at each meal.

There are two large pools, both salt water; the one closer to reception is slightly warmer but still quite cold the other pool is absolutely freezing. I only saw about half a dozen people risk it during our week stay. I swam and did water aerobics in the warmer pool and once in it was fine. This pool also has a large Jacuzzi. There are plenty of sun loungers by the pools but annoyingly and despite the hotel notices people still ‘claim’ a bed with towels before breakfast, it is my only complaint that the hotel do not enforce the no reserving rule. But that said we never had any trouble finding a bed.

There is a poolside bar in which you can sit with a drink or order a meal (drinks AI, meals not) and there is an AI snack bar to the side of the main bar, which opens at 10am and has buffet food from 11am to 6 pm. In this side bar you can help yourself to sparkling wine, beer, coke fanta etc or tea and coffee. The food is normally a hot pasta dish, burgers, hot dogs, the making of toasties, cold cuts and cheese and a salad selection. There is also ice cream in mini tubs. This was one of our favourite areas as it meant you didn’t have to take all kinds of drinks down to the poolside.

The Thalasso spa was very good, nice and relaxing and the gym is small but well equipped. If you are in a superior room the spa is included if not I think it’s 20 euro per visit. They provide towels, flip flop and secure lockers.

There was a nightly entertainment, which started with a small kids disco at about 8pm. The main shows were an hour long and started at 9 or 9.30. The nights alternated between outside act and the hotels ‘animation team’ doing a dance and mime act to Les Mis, Grease etc. There is a theatre area next to the bar (waiters will bring you drinks to save you missing the show) but we just sat in the bar and saw some acts from there. We saw an African acrobatic troop and a Chinese circus act. The entertainment was fine, probably a bit better than most of this type of thing.

There is an 18 hole mini golf just outside the hotel, which costs 5 euros and is quite good fun. If you’ rather sit on the beach it’s only 10 yards from the back of the hotel. You can hire a pair of loungers and a sun brolly for 11 euros a day.

The hotel is very central with a shopping area and supermarket 2 minutes walk away if you want to stock up on drinks and snacks. Go out of the hotel, turn left and then first left, the supermarket if 50 yards down in a road on the right. There is also 2 perfume shops, a selection of bard and restaurants, a few tourist tat shops and a kiosk that sells newspapers and duty free fags and tobacco.

If you fancy going to the local market (it’s quite good) it’s on every Saturday and Tuesday from 9 am. Go out the front of the hotel and turn left, stroll for about 10 minute and you’ll come to it. If walking is a problem there is a ‘train’ but which comes by, it stops at the corner by the fag kiosk about 50 yards from the hotel and costs 1.50 euros each way.

This hotel has very quickly become one of our favourites I think we’ll be going back next November. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Superior rooms in block 3 have good views and are in the quietest part of the hotel. 5 minute walk...
7 Thank glasgowcouple1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,551)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We booked this hotel for a relaxing comfortable winter sunshine break in mid November and that is exactly what we got. Our room was both comfortable and quiet, well maintained and importantly clean. In fact the whole hotel was very clean and the staffed were all very friendly and helpful. The buffet restaurant was well staffed which is not always the case in hotels with buffet dining rooms, the food was varied and plentiful even when taking a late dinner, hot breakfast was cooked fresh and for dinner there was always a freshly cooked fish or grilled meat option. Plenty of room round the pools but the water was cold so they were not heavily used. Our only negative and this is one that can be easily addressed by the hotel is the need to refurbish the surface surrounding the pools, over time the top surface has been warn away exposing the rough aggregate base which is sharp on the feet, not enough to cause a direct injury but if a child or adult was to fall it could result in nasty cuts and grazes. Overall a very good hotel for a relaxing break.

2 Thank bakerhalfdozen
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Holidayed here from the 16th-30th November. Booked a superior room and was in block 3 with a partial sea view. Found the wifi to be really good throughout the complex. The food was the usual all inclusive food. The animation team work hard during the day to provide activities such as archery, rifle shooting, aqua gym, yoga and min golf. The evening entertainment is as others have said mimed and average. The selection of drinks is good , better than some all inclusive hotels we have stayed in before. We never had any problem getting a sun bed but would say it was definitely off peak and the weather wasn't brilliant every day. The pool was freezing and I only braved it twice in 2 weeks. The hotel is in a great position for the resort with a number of bars and shops close by.
Would definitely recommend this hotel, the only thing that put a dampener on the holiday was the flight going home which has to be the worst turbulence I have ever experienced, which cannot be helped but definitely will stop me flying to the canaries again.
We went on 2 trips with Thomson/ first choice to Correlgio and Jandia, both places worth a visit.
Would definitely recommend a taxi from the airport if travelling on a Saturday!
Never had any problems with staff most friendly apart from out last day when we were leaving and there was a young woman on her own in the main bar who definitely did not want to be there she was rude and slamming things around the bar! Very strange!
Overall a good holiday.

1 Thank holiday_addict40
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Visited this hotel last week with my daughter 23rd November for a week. Lovely and clean. Very impressed. The staff are helpful and friendly. We went all inclusive and felt this was well worth it, the food was superb, loads to choose from. A bit disappointed we were charged for wi-fi or is this standard for a hotel? It would have been nice to have tea & coffee facilities in the room. I think the only other let down was the evening entertainment. They put on a show that lasts an hour and that was it,room for improvement here I feel. For this reason we would not return. In saying that people return year after year. We can't comment on the spa as we didn't use it. We took our chances going this time of year with the weather as it wasn't brilliant but better than the UK.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked to stay here a long time ago and were looking forward to it for a long time! In the mean time reviews kept popping up which made us worry. I'm a bit of a fusspot and can see some of the poor points made by others, but really there is not a lot to worry about. If you're going to stress and complain over silly things like a goat casserole, then really you'd be better off staying at home and going to the local chippy for your dinner. There are plenty of other things to choose from to eat.
We hired a car from the airport, and you really can't get too lost on the way to the hotel. It is also ten minutes maximum drive. When arriving at the hotel by car, you won't be able to get into the barrier car park until getting an entry card from reception. Try and park out of the way so as not to block coaches etc. I tucked in close to the edge.
There was a coach just departing when we arrived, but I have to say that I didn't need to wait to be seen by reception. The speed of the staff was pretty good.
We parked up and checked in. This was about 2pm and the room wasn't quite ready, so we were guided to leave our luggage in a room whilst we waited. As we were hungry we just headed out to the pool bar "Aloe Bar" for some lunch while we waited. On our return the room was ready.
The rooms are a reasonable size, and we had a superior room. I think from looking in at other rooms, the size is not a lot bigger. We chose the superior room as it comes with free wifi and free parking, as we had the car for the week. The wifi as others say is very temperamental. I couldn't successfully connect for a couple of days. I would be upset if I'd paid extra for it... but I guess I did really.
The view we had was good. We could see over the pool and over the beach to the sea. We requested a quiet room and were placed on the top floor in block 3.
I am not sure why people complain that they can't get sun beds? Maybe they don't realise you can walk around block 2 and find loads around the corner? There did seem to be a lot of people congregating near the bar and the pool area there. We never had a problem finding somewhere to park ourselves, and there were 3 of us in a row.
The pool was pretty chilly, but not as bad as I was expecting looking at other reviews. It was salty, but really, who cares? It was fun watching people trying to get into the water as they were probably finding it cold! I just dropped in from the side to take the plunge.
The range of food on offer both at breakfast and dinner is extensive and buffet style. There is always going to be things you don't like, but there is also loads to suit everyone. Our teenage daughter is very fussy and she didn't have a problem finding things to eat. If you like fresh griddled fish, I can recommend the Black Belly something or other fish. Tasty.
Chocolate fountain twice a week. Good fun, and I just drowned loads of cake in it.
It's best to find a table first before going to find your food. The waiters will come pretty quickly to take drinks orders. I ordered Coronas red wine one night thinking it's 8 euros. It was a lot more. It's a type error on their menu and we had a bit of a disagreement on the door when I was paying. They wouldn't budge on price and tried to fob me off with different prices. Obviously the customer isn't right here. I was. If the price says something, they shouldn't charge 10 euros more, or whatever it was.
The evening entertainment is good fun. After reading other reviews slating it, we were not expecting much. As it was, we enjoyed a laugh. Waiters will come and take your drinks orders, but to be honest, it is quicker to go up to the bar yourselves.
It seems to me that the people moaning on here are the all inclusive guests. I'm not overly surprised as the difference in price is a lot. We were offered the upgrade on check in to all inclusive but as there are three of us it would've been another 75 euros per day. There's no way we'd be spending that per day. I would recommend sticking to half board.
We didn't use the spa as our daughter is 13 and unless you're 16 you aren't allowed in. We weren't bothered.
This was our first visit to Fuerteventura. It's worth heading to the north of the island for a look around. We weren't overly keen on the south end of the island. We normally go to Lanzarote or Tenerife, and also Gran Canaria. It's definitely different. Quite barren really. I would go back in a few year's time but just to relax rather than explore. The Barcelo is a good base though, and I'd be happy to return to this hotel.
Oh, one last thing. Before we went, I was worried about the close proximity to the airport and possible noise disturbance. Really it is not a problem. Yes, the planes are coming in to land quite low, but the noise is still minimal and there's no night flying. It's quite fun watching them from your balcony before dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Happy-To-Wander
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here in September for 10 days and the weather was good, we had 1 1/2 days of rain but the rest of the time it was lovely. The hotel staff were fine and attending our room sufficiently. The rooms are nice and roomy and the sinks and mirrors are not in the bathroom as such, only the bath/shower/toilet which is a good idea as us ladies could be making ourselves beautiful while the other half cleans up and you tend not to have to wipe the mirrors down all the time. The food is very samey and to be honest not that brilliant, plus the fact it was always luke warm at best and cold at worst, although they do provide microwaves which in itself speaks volumes. If you are a chicken lover then you will be disappointed we only had chicken on the menu twice in 2 weeks but rabbit was readily available most days, the fish was very nice and some came in a lovely sauce. Vegetables well forget them, they are very scarce and when they are on the menu they are usually rock hard, you could play ping pong with the sprouts lol

The entertainment was ok but to be honest apart form a couple of shows which were acts brought in from the outside, everything was mimed which somehow took the enjoyment out of it. The drinks were ok but as in the brochure not everything is AI. Speaking of all inclusive, I was very miffed to be told that if you wanted to change your beach towel daily it would cost you 2 euros a day, I am not a beach lover so used the pool but if I was there as a family and wanted to change my towels daily it would cost a small fortune. Also if you decide to go on a tour or are going to be away from the hotel they do not do a picnic lunch for AI guest, which again is something that is usually included in AI holidays.

On the hole though the hotel does look a little tired, I stayed there 13 years ago when it first opened and it was brilliant, everything was AI, including named drinks and towels the entertainment was 1st class, the food was pretty much the same as now luke warm so some things have stayed the same.

People with children be aware the pool area in my opinion needs serious maintenance, most of the tiles have gone from around the outside of the pool leaving behind very rough and sharp concrete, which was most unpleasant to walk on for adults let alone little ones.

Would I go back again unfortunately not, they say you should never go back to a place where you have had a brilliant time first time around and in this case they are right.

Did go on a trip to the Zoo enjoyed this and the parrot and,seal shows are very good. Missed the falcon display could not find it was very poorly marked, I was not the only one to not find this either.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SallyJo28
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We had a 'superior' room, not so much a better room but a 'superior' package. This involved free wi-fi, which was patchy around hotel and quite often 'dropped out', and free daily access to the spa, just outside the hotel's grounds. No chasing around looking for a couple of free loungers around the hotel's swimming pools and the benefit of six different spa baths and pools and a steam room. Food was not 'a la carte' but quite acceptable considering it was mass catering, plenty of choice and dishes always being refilled at every meal.

Room Tip: Area 3 and upper floors (2 and 3)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caleta de Fuste
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#5 of 28 in Antigua
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,777 reviews

Been to Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!