We travelled to the Barceló Thalasso Spa in Fuertaventura for a week in May 2014 with our two children (one aged four, the other aged five months). It was the first time we had been abroad as a family of four. The hotel is located very close to the airport. The transfer was less than half an hour.
The hotel is very clean, looks recently redecorated and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room itself was very nice, although it was a bit cramped with my wife and I in the double-bed, our son in a fold-out sofa bed and our daughter in a cot. The cot, by the way, was the first big plus-point for the hotel. We didn't have to order the cot, they provided one automatically because our daughter's age appeared on the booking. And when we got to the room the cot was assembled and made. When our son was a baby we stayed in hotels which forgot to provide cots we requested or just left a collapsed cot for us to assemble. Our room was on the ground floor right across from the kids club.
The hotel itself is quite large. I don't know how many rooms it had but there were several wings which were up to four stories high. There were two swimming pools, one kids pool and a new children's play area. This had a shallow splash pool with a pirate-themed water slide. There was a kids club next to it. The kids club ran every day and would look after children aged 4 - 12 for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. The staff that ran the kids club were very nice and great at entertaining the kids. On Friday evenings they ran a babysitting service (although we didn't use the service). There were also a different musical/show on in the hotel theatre every evening, but we didn't go so can't comment on how good they were. The hotel organised excursions too, but we didn't go on any.
The hotel is right next to the beach. There is a promenade going along the seafront which runs for several miles past other hotels and restaurants. There is also a miniature golf course right next to the hotel (not run by the hotel).
There was a buffet restaurant onsite. It served a variety of different cuisines and had themed evenings. But if you didn't like the Mexican/Moroccan/etc. themed food there was always a burger and chips on hand. The quality of food was very high. They also had lots of fresh fruit and fish. More importantly, there was always something on offer that our four-year-old wanted to eat! If you didn't fancy the on-site restaurant the hotel is right next to the town centre and there were any number of restaurants to go eat at. A lot of them fell in to the "greasy spoon" category and didn't look that appetising. There were also a number of small supermarkets next to the hotel with a shopping centre approx 20 mins walk away. We stocked up on bottled water (as you aren't supposed to drink the tap water), snacks and lunch stuff for our children.
We did have a few minor quibbles about the hotel. The first one was that a lot of things that you might expect to come as standard cost extra. We had to pay for wifi (this isn't that uncommon and, to be fair, it was reasonably priced). We asked for a kettle for our room to make formula for our daughter (BTW, it is OK to boil the tap water and use that to make formula). That was extra. We ended up using the bath towels provided in our room when we went to the pool as beach towels were extra too and we couldn't figure out where you were supposed to get them from.
Our second issue was that our checkout time was midday, but our bus to the airport wasn't until 7pm. We asked about late checkout, which is available, but it's a bit of a lottery. You can only request late checkout on the day before you leave and if your room happens to be booked out immediately after you leave, you can't have a late checkout. The hotel was not full, so we were a bit annoyed that they couldn't accommodate us. They stated that we could use the gym showers to get changed if we wished to use the pool but the gym area is under rennovation or being refurbished and it didn't feel safe or secure. We ended up sitting in the hotel lobby for seven hours until our transfer arrived.
You might want to know that the hotel is located directly under the flight path to the airport. Planes flew overhead every hour or so. This didn't really bother us and the planes didn't fly that late in to the evening. It provided extra entertainment for our son!
All-in-all we had a great holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone with young children. The transfer from the airport is short, there are lots of activities for kids and the food is good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa**** hotel, awarded with the prestigious Tourist Quality Q price, is located on the beachfront in the privileged enclave of Caleta de Fuste. Only 7 km. from the airport and 15 km. from Puerto del Rosario, capital of Fuerteventura - you will be able to enjoy an amazing holiday. Its large and fully equipped rooms, its countless and superb services and its extraordinary location make our hotel a desired destination for all types of holidays: you can enjoy a relaxing holiday, a romantic getaway, an experience full of sports or even a business trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Hotel Caleta De Fuste
- Barcelo Caleta De Fuste
- Hotel Barcelo Fuerteventura
- Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa Caleta De Fuste