“Relaxing & comfortable, but wouldn't go back”

Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from 7 nights all inclusive here. The transfer from the airport is only 10 minutes which is great as I hate being stuck on a coach when it's hot and humid. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and informative and we were put in a double deluxe room with sea view in the San Jorge part which I wasn't expecting. And wow what a view it was. The room itself was large and the bed was huge! Mattress was a bit firm but that's down to personal preference. Large bathroom with the best shower I've ever used! There is a hair dryer and a fridge in the room which is great for storing water bottles. Towels were changed every 2 days and bed sheets were changed once, the day before we left so a bit pointless really when they would have to change them again anyway when we left. No air con but not needed really as it was quite cool at night, there is a safe but we didn't use it so not sure how much they charge.
The meals were ok, but when you've been there a few days it gets repetitive and boring. Some nights they have Chinese food (which was awful) or Spanish, etc and they have someone cook in front of you whatever is on that night so it could be steak, pork, chicken etc. I just looked forward to breakfast as they had plenty to choose from, my favourite was the croissants and pastries.
The staff there work extremely hard and I noticed they would work 12+ hour days and they always had a smile on their faces, none of them looked miserable. There are signs everywhere saying that reserving sun beds is forbidden, yet everyone ignored this and still left their towels on them in the morning or whenever they went out. There are plenty to go around anyway, but they aren't the comfiest so be warned. The pool itself is well kept and clean but very cold!! I only went in twice all week just to cool down, and I can tell you that the sea was warmer than the pool! There is another pool on the other side of the hotel but we didn't use that one.
Outside the hotel there isn't much to do, but it is a lovely walk by the sea and there are wild chipmunks living in the rocks that you can feed. We bought a bag of monkey nuts for just over one euro from the supermarket. If you walk about 15 minutes or so then you come to where all the shops and restaurants are and I would recommend going to the Slow Boat II Chinese restaurant it is absolutely delicious and for only 6.50€ each you get plenty of food. Another place I recommend is Goris Bar, not far from the hotel and we had lunch there twice as we were fed up of the hotel food. Again, delicious and reasonably priced.
Entertainment wise the hotel is good if you have children, but as for a couple we were quite bored. My partner didn't like the alcoholic drinks as they were local beer and spirits, I am pregnant so lived on fanta or coke for a week! Although I did enjoy a nice glass of sangria on my birthday!
All in all we had a relaxing week, but was quite bored towards the end. Credit to all the staff as they work extremely hard.
If you haven't been to Fuerteventura before just to let you know it is quite a breezy island. Our travel agent told us this before we went but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so windy!
We won't be returning.

3  Thank ElectroJess
CASTILLOSANJORGE, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear ElectroJess,

thank you very much for sharing your experience about your stay here, and above all for such a good description!
I appreciate your detailed list of our services, this is very helpful in order to inform all the people. I'm also glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays and we have meet your expectations!
I'm also happy that you appreciated the hard work of our staff ( but all of us works 8 hour, not 12), we are so proud of them.
I just regret that you wouldn't like to return at Fuerteventura, this is a wonderful place, september and October are fabulous months and there is not wind.
In case you decide to return would be a privilege, one more time, be your hotel here.

Sunny regards from Fuerteventura.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,081)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Castillo San Jorge. We have stayed here on many occasions and have never been disappointed. The hotel has been recently refurbished and has really benefited from the improvements - as others have noted, the beds are now exceptionally comfortable.
We prefer to stay half-board and spend time in the Dog and Duck (on-site) and other bars in town but the all inclusive option is great value, particularly if you have kids to entertain.
The staff are really friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I will not mention individual names but you will find them all in the many reviews of the San Jorge. What is certain is that with a low staff turn-over it will not take many visits before the staff become personal friends.
The food is always of good quality but can be repetitive, as is the case with most hotels of this type. Breakfast is the best meal of the day and it's hard to resist the fresh pancakes, omelettes, churros, etc, particularly if you are on a diet. We have never witnessed any hygiene issue as mentioned in one review and none of our party have ever experienced any illness.
If, like us, you require a disabled room then I would advise you to contact the Hotel Manager (Nelson J Alvarez) directly at csj.direccion@hoteleselba.com and Steve at Miraflor (miraflor9@yahoo.co.uk) that is also on-site, should you require specialist disability equipment, including mobility scooter hire.
Please remember that an excellent rating is given by us on the basis of this being a three star hotel. If you expect a five star hotel at these prices than the San Jorge is not for you but if you desire excellent value for your money and an enjoyable holiday then it certainly is.
Graham, Jean and John (65, 65 and 87).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Graham W

Dear Graham W,

I have no words to thank you for this nice review!
You make us proud of our job and give us the strength to carry on and keep improving day by day, your satisfaction is and will always be our priority!
Thank you for mention ous staff, food and rooms, above all I appreciate that you remind to everybody that we have services for disabled, and with one email we can manage your reservation in order to make your holidays the most comfortable possible.
Hope to see you very soon!!

Sunny regards from all the staff!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We returned home 2 weeks ago after spending a week all inclusive at this hotel and have rebooked to go back in November. it is a fun and friendly atmosphere the food was very good and the all inclusive bar offered a wide choice of very good quality drinks the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in in a hotel the only thing we could suggest as an improvement is that they employ more bar staff as they were working flat out and were still struggling to keep up this is not a reflection on their capabilities just that they were under staffed. The reception staff were very pleasant and efficient. Speaking to other guests I realised there was a lot of return customers and I am happy to be amongst them ,if you are looking for a relaxing but fun holiday you could not do better thank to all the staff.

Room Tip: as far as I could tell all the rooms are similar although if you have young children who go to bed e...
7  Thank barryarmstrong500

Dear Barryarmstrong500,

thank you very much for sharing your experience of your stay, but over all thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
I'm so glad that you have spent a good time with us, is a big proud to know that your stay have been enjoyable.
I will personally report to all the staff about your your kind words.
Hope you decide to come back and visit us again, see you next time!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have just come back from a two week stay in the San Jorge and couldn't fault it one bit Was a bit devious at first as we had booked a studio as we were self catering and couldn't see what room looked like About 3 weeks before departure I called Thomas Cook and asked if we could have a top floor studio she got back right away to inform me that San Jorge had received our request and would do their best to accommodate us When we got to our room they had actually up-graded us to a one bedroom apartment which was brilliant so thank you San Jorge Staff very friendly and helpful Rooms were spotless only down fall no air conditioning but wasn't an issue I would definitely go back a really nice laid back holiday no one pestering us Loads of nice places to eat and drink Some days could be quite windy but was needed because can be really hot so beware make sure you use plenty of sun cream Overall I would definitely recommend its a 3 star hotel with a 4 star feel loved it Hope you do to :))

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and never heard a thing :))
4  Thank Connie P
CASTILLOSANJORGE, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Connie P,

thank you very much for writing this positive comment!
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm also glad to know that you appreciated the upgrade, we try to do our best every time, and if is possible we always meet your request!
We hope to see you again soon! ;-)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

On arrival reception staff were friendly. Hotel recently been refurbished however forgot to put air-con in all the rooms . This is an essential thing to have when staying in a hot country . Feeling sick most evenings due to the heat in the room . I would recommend getting a sea view room , however then you may experience being freezing early hourly of the morning . Bring your own hair dryer if , bring your own towels bring your own travel iron . These are not provided apart from hair dryer (you may as we'll blow your hair with your mouth) unbelievably irons are not provide as a standard room feature . You will have to traipse all the way down to shop to PURCHASE iron and ironing board it's not a lot of money . I mean we're talking 2€ a day with 10€ deposit , it's just the principle and this is something that should be pat of the room , get in there quick they have one for the whole hotel . Food quality is good but same thing every night . Please do not go all inclusive , here's are lovely shops and bars down the road that are 100% better . Drinks are not anytime they will stop at 11pm . After then you have to start a bill tab at is sent to room and you pay this at the end of your stay. Beach is not 500meters like grouches says , it's approx 15-20 mins walk nice walk but not 500M . Beach is Stoney with plenty of glass. Shops bars in town are lovely . Pool was okay , sun beds rock hard had to buy LILO to ly on . Do not go between school holiday no room to relax with screaming kids .

All in all good rooms apart from air con . Food good quality but not enough variety. Drinks stop at 11. Pools nice when your not being splashed and screamed at. Town centre is lovely.

Room Tip: Pick a sea view room , you may get chilly early hours of the morning . But it's a hell of a lot...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ShannonRaye
CASTILLOSANJORGE, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Shannoraye,

thank you very much for sharing your experience on this web and thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
During the last winter we have renovated a big part of our facilities, rooms included and now all our rooms are with hair dryer and brand new mattresses. About the food, I'm sorry if you didn't like it too much, normally is our best service and, as you can read at this webpage, most of our client love it.
I hope you decide to give us another chance, in this case please contact me before you arrive and we'll not disappoint you.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed here on a number of occasions and the only fault we found was it needed some TLC well its now had it and the difference is amazing congratulations to all involved Anyone thinking of going we can only say good things about this hotel The food is good lots of variety the staff are first class always friendly and welcoming from the restaurant staff to the reception staff We have stopped in 5star hotels and certainly never received the service that e have had here a big thank you to Nelson and Ricardo for making our stay so happy

Room Tip: the only rooms to avoid are over the reception
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank terry k

Dear Terry K,

thank you very much for your comment, we love your words and your satisfaction is our best reward!
I'm glad to know that you appreciated our effort to improve our hotel and keep giving to you all the best service possible.
Can't wait to see you again, you will always be welcome!

Sunny regards from Fuerteventura!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We went for the first time to Fuerteventura for 11 nights A/I with Thomas Cook on 7th June 2014, we stayed in the Antigua, check in was quick & friendly, seaview room was fantastic we had room 2325, which we had already booked on top floor, very advisable, the staff especially Sergio, Ines, Gallileo, Yetza, & Ramone, they couldn't do enough for you, the food is repetitive but we always managed to make something out of what was on, the soup is very delicious & highly recommended, our rooms were cleaned 5 times a week & towels were twice a week, on our last night we were given extra towels, we found that the night entertainment was poor because the childrens entertainment was on til 9.30 in the same bar as the adults & there was only 1 bar person on so the queues for drink went outside the door, the only group we thoroughly enjoyed was the alternative BeeGees, we would like you to recommend that you make the Dog & Duck A/I as we thought if it had been it would have helped, the beach is only 500m away if you take the short cut through the pathway of the bungalows on the seafront, the harbour was ruined by the construction that was on going, but the beach is beautiful, the shopping centre is good & you"ll find all your bars there, the market wasn"t cheap & you can be conned, but all in all the hotel is mostly for families with younger children, because of too many children we will be going back to adults only hotels but would recommend this hotel to families only, Len & Wina Carlisle Cumbia.

Dear Edwina,

thank you for taking time to write a good review about your stay with us and for choosing our hotel for your break!
Is a pleasure for me to read that you liked our facilities and our location, and I note your observations to keep improving our services, I'm also glad to know that appreciated the treatment of our restaurant staff, I will personally report your kind words to them.
We would like to invite you to think about the possibility to return, this is your home!

Best regards from Fuerteventura!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caleta de Fuste
#10 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Barcelo Castillo Royal Level
Barcelo Castillo Royal Level
#2 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!