Just returned from 7 nights all inclusive here. The transfer from the airport is only 10 minutes which is great as I hate being stuck on a coach when it's hot and humid. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and informative and we were put in a double deluxe room with sea view in the San Jorge part which I wasn't expecting. And wow what a view it was. The room itself was large and the bed was huge! Mattress was a bit firm but that's down to personal preference. Large bathroom with the best shower I've ever used! There is a hair dryer and a fridge in the room which is great for storing water bottles. Towels were changed every 2 days and bed sheets were changed once, the day before we left so a bit pointless really when they would have to change them again anyway when we left. No air con but not needed really as it was quite cool at night, there is a safe but we didn't use it so not sure how much they charge.
The meals were ok, but when you've been there a few days it gets repetitive and boring. Some nights they have Chinese food (which was awful) or Spanish, etc and they have someone cook in front of you whatever is on that night so it could be steak, pork, chicken etc. I just looked forward to breakfast as they had plenty to choose from, my favourite was the croissants and pastries.
The staff there work extremely hard and I noticed they would work 12+ hour days and they always had a smile on their faces, none of them looked miserable. There are signs everywhere saying that reserving sun beds is forbidden, yet everyone ignored this and still left their towels on them in the morning or whenever they went out. There are plenty to go around anyway, but they aren't the comfiest so be warned. The pool itself is well kept and clean but very cold!! I only went in twice all week just to cool down, and I can tell you that the sea was warmer than the pool! There is another pool on the other side of the hotel but we didn't use that one.
Outside the hotel there isn't much to do, but it is a lovely walk by the sea and there are wild chipmunks living in the rocks that you can feed. We bought a bag of monkey nuts for just over one euro from the supermarket. If you walk about 15 minutes or so then you come to where all the shops and restaurants are and I would recommend going to the Slow Boat II Chinese restaurant it is absolutely delicious and for only 6.50€ each you get plenty of food. Another place I recommend is Goris Bar, not far from the hotel and we had lunch there twice as we were fed up of the hotel food. Again, delicious and reasonably priced.
Entertainment wise the hotel is good if you have children, but as for a couple we were quite bored. My partner didn't like the alcoholic drinks as they were local beer and spirits, I am pregnant so lived on fanta or coke for a week! Although I did enjoy a nice glass of sangria on my birthday!
All in all we had a relaxing week, but was quite bored towards the end. Credit to all the staff as they work extremely hard.
If you haven't been to Fuerteventura before just to let you know it is quite a breezy island. Our travel agent told us this before we went but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so windy!
We won't be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- smartline Castillo de Antigua is located right on the seafront promenade, and offers a breath-taking view of the Atlantic. The hotel offers a varied activity program for all ages throughout the day. For the younger guests, there is a kids' club at the hotel. If you want to explore the surroundings, the waterfront promenade is very inviting for a stroll, long walks and jogging, and the town centre is just a short walk away! If you want a relaxing holiday, you can chill out by one of the hotel's four pools. smartline Castillo de Antigua features a total of 272 bright and modernly furnished rooms and apartments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aparthotel Castillo San Jorge / Antigua / Caleta De Fuste
- Castillo San Jorge
- Castillo De San Jorge
- Elba Castillo San Jorge & Antigua Suite Hotel Fuerteventura/Caleta De Fuste